Thread: Thanks....

Thanks....

I suppose this should be in the Chit-Chat forum (Moderators may move as deemed appropriate), but was not sure those of you who had a direct impact on my current project, or my several other ones, would see it there.

The expertise and friendly advice from many, many of you has been used to develop several games (my latest I just completed was Monopoly (BOY, what a LOT of rules to code, along with generating self moving tokens)) over the past few years.

My hat goes off to all of you who have contributed code, advice, and even criticism to my various attempts at using VB6 to code all these games.

Thank you all.

Sam Oscar Brown - 18 Sep 2020
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

Re: Thanks....

That's all? You're welcome.

My mind went directly to a dark place when I saw the thread title; thinking something medical. And embedded into the 'thank you', a fairwell. Phew.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Sep 18th, 2020 at 04:44 PM. Reason: typo
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Mine too. Sam, please let us know that you're ok.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Do we need to be worried Sam?

PowerPoster

I hope we hear good news.

A lot of us are running under expired warrantees these days.

Jeez.....I didn't know it would generate this type of response!. NO, I'm not hurting! Just felt it was time to throw out a big Thank You (so far)--I'm still building games (these are NOT the ones needing graphics where little objects bounce around and into each other (~smile~), but more 'intellectual' type. At 70 now, and 'seem' to still be going strong (riding my 40HP Kubota at the church property (85 acres) kinda keeps me going/'young').
    I DO appreciate all of your concerns, however...there WILL come a day when each of us could use some prayers and encouragement (even you dile (again, ~smile~)). The games I create are more like 'parlor' games, to be used in an informal setting with friends; or, as of late, to be played over Zoom with family and friends. Games like, Jeopardy!, Wheel Of Fortune, Pictionary, Concentration, Bingo, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, Password, a game SOME of you may have heard of--Joker (Joker and Marbles or Pegs and Marbles---fun game), The Marriage Game, Family Feud, Name That Tune, Now You See It, and my most recent, Monopoly (decidedly the most difficult to code).

Anyway, Thanks for all concerns...and thanks for all the inputs over the years (again, SO FAR!)..

Sammi
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).

The Idiot

At 70 now, and 'seem' to still be going strong...
    Good on you. Many of us that are a bit younger than you already have that check-engine-light lit

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

I think this thread is a great example of how we all likely say "thank you" to others much, much too infrequently.

I mean, a guy says thank you, and we all think he must be dying. That's a pretty sad commentary on our society.

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    I think this thread is a great example of how we all likely say "thank you" to others much, much too infrequently.

I mean, a guy says thank you, and we all think he must be dying. That's a pretty sad commentary on our society.
    Though the 1st part of your statement is true, I don't think the 2nd part is the case here. Many of us have known Sammi on this site for years & years. We know he's no spring chicken. We know he thanks ppl often within his own threads. In this specific case, it was a bit out of the ordinary for him. Nice touch. Just don't see threads where the title is simply "Thank you". And for us old-timers, where courtesy is kinda part of our DNA, sending a farewell message leading with a thank you is not uncommon.

Also some of us have been on the forums long enough to remember parksie ... :

We've all had our dark days... and in these strange times, we need to make sure we're taking care of ourselves and each other...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Yes, thanks to everyone. I think there are many developers like me that learned many things from code that found at PSC, or coming to this (or other) forum in the past and never posted anything.
    In my case I was more used to go to newsgroups... until MS closed them or there were too few people there.
    Then I came here and found the masters.

The Idiot

this community is very important, but what is a community without its members and the experts that helps us to grow and be better.
    this forum is the last place, without it, Im not sure where to go.

so thanks the sysop/admin to allow this forum to exists, thanks to the mods to help moderate this place, and thanks the expert that takes VB6 into the limits of what it can do and beyond.
    and of course thanks to all its regular members to fill it up with questions to make this place alive.

Technically, this should go to Chit-Chat, but in this case, it seems like Sam was talking to this audience, so I'll leave it unless it turns into some post race-like monster.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by SamOscarBrown View Post
    At 70 now, and 'seem' to still be going strong (riding my 40HP Kubota at the church property (85 acres) kinda keeps me going/'young').
    Be careful, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Bravo VI View Post
    Be careful, though...
    But when you've lived a 1/2 century and longer, sometimes you throw caution to the wind. Sammi's ride & my ride

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 285
Size:  495.7 KB

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    But when you've lived a 1/2 century and longer, sometimes you throw caution to the wind. Sammi's ride & my ride
    Absolutely LOVE the color on your Fastback! Goes great with the wheels too . Is it officially a maroon or a shade of purple? Hard to tell on the monitor here.....

Quote Originally Posted by SomeYguy View Post
    Absolutely LOVE the color on your Fastback! Goes great with the wheels too. Is it officially a maroon or a shade of purple?
    It's more purple than marroon; a deep purple -- like smoke on the water

> Many of us that are a bit younger than you already have that check-engine-light lit

Oh, is it that yellow light with the strange pictogram I'm noticing in recent years on my dashboard. . .

cheers,
    </wqw>

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    > Many of us that are a bit younger than you already have that check-engine-light lit

Oh, is it that yellow light with the strange pictogram I'm noticing in recent years on my dashboard. . .

cheers,
    </wqw>
    Refuel? You're on Reserve?
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad