Thread: Issue with JSON POST using WebClient

Addicted Member

Issue with JSON POST using WebClient

I'm messing around with an API that uses JSON, but can't seem to make it POST properly. This particular API authenticates my account using three pieces of information which must be passed in the header. The service offers a basic endpoint you can GET to make sure your information is being passed properly, and when I try that it works fine. However, when I try to POST something it keeps giving me Internal Server errors..

Here is the working GET request which confirms to me that my account info is correct and the headers are being passed properly.
    Code:
    Dim webClient As New System.Net.WebClient
    webClient.Headers("User-Agent") = "MyAPIApp 1.0"
    webClient.Headers("X-Auth-Reseller") = txtxAuthReseller.Text
    webClient.Headers("X-Auth-User") = txtxAuthUser.Text
    webClient.Headers("X-Auth-Password") = txtxAuthPassword.Text

Dim result As String = webClient.DownloadString("https://" & My.Settings.Hostname & "/authenticated")

MsgBox(result)
    Next, I want to make my first POST request. I need to pass the following JSON:
    Code:
    {
        "group_name" : "Default Name Servers",
        "is_default" : true,
        "name_servers" : [
            "ns1.example.com",
            "ns2.example.com"
        ]
    }
    Here is the POST code I am trying. This gives me: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
    Code:
    Dim webClient As New System.Net.WebClient

Dim result As String = webClient.UploadString("https://" & My.Settings.Hostname & "/dom/name-server-group", "{""group_name"" : ""Default Name Servers"", ""is_default"" : true, ""name_servers"" : [""ns1.sedoparking.com"", ""ns2.sedoparking.com""]}")

MsgBox(result)

Re: Issue with JSON POST using WebClient

Try adding this:
    vb.net Code:
    1. webClient.Headers("Content-Type") = "application/json"

Addicted Member

Thanks for the reply jmcilhinney. It still gives the internal server error.
    Last edited by digitaldrew; Sep 17th, 2020 at 10:17 PM.

Addicted Member

I don't know if this will be much help, but they put a small example on this page which uses the same endpoint as my initial GET (/authenticated) and they include a few other things in their header (although they never specify it's required)..Here is what theirs looks like:

Code:
    X-Auth-Reseller: reseller
    X-Auth-User: user
    X-Auth-Password: password
    Host: api.yay.com
    Connection: close
    User-Agent: MyAPIApp 1.0
    So I decided to add the others into my code:

Code:
    Using webClient As New System.Net.WebClient
        webClient.Headers("Content-Type") = "application/json"
        webClient.Headers("Host") = hostName
        webClient.Headers("Connection") = "close"

Dim result As String = webClient.UploadString("https://" & hostName & "/dom/name-server-group", "{""group_name"" : ""Default Name Servers"", ""is_default"" : true, ""name_servers"" : [""" & txtNS1.Text & """, """ & txtNS2.Text & """]}")
    MsgBox(result)
    End Using
    When adding the Connection header I now get the follow error instead of a 500 Internal Server Error: An exception occurred during a WebClient request. Once I remove the connection part, it's back to 500 Internal Server Error..

Feeling a bit lost.. I've done a POST with JSON in the past and didn't have nearly the trouble I am this time around. I'm not that great with headers, but once I could do the GET I thought for sure the POST wouldn't be too difficult.

It's possible it's solely a problem on their end....you're getting a 500 internal Server Error... not a bad request... so your request is being accepted, but then something fails on their end.
    Also, I'd assemble your json into a variable and print it out before sending.... just in case... one misplaced " and that's going to wreck....
    Hmmmm.... I looked at that link...AND PT2 they linked to ... they used a PUT to update , not post... so.... hmmm.....

Are you trying to interact with YAY.com or just used that as an exaample? IF using as an example, and you're actually interacting with a different host, then you need to find the API guide for that host.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

Hey techgnome, thanks for your reply! I did look at my JSON before sending (a few times) just to make sure everything matched up and it did, but I will double check that again. I'm trying to interact with Yay.com. The specific endpoint I'm using in my request is located on this page. You will see they have different end points depending on the call you want to make - some with GET, some with POST and some with PUT. The call I am trying to work with is from the only POST endpoint on that page (/dom/name-server-group)...Thanks again!