Thread: BoxShot 3D

Lively Member

BoxShot 3D

Makes a box picture for your software and saves it as a bitmap.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: BoxShot 3D

Hi KFrosty,

This can definitely be fun stuff. Basically, in these cases, we're trying to project what is basically a 3D object onto a 2D surface (our screen, or our graphics buffer). There are always decisions to be made when doing this. Clearly, in your case, when reducing your 3D to 2D, you used a "parallel projection" approach. One of the problems with parallel projection is that it can make the back of an object appear fatter than the front of the object. You can begin to see it as a sort of optical illusion on your box. The right side seems wider than the left side. However, if you measure it, it's not.

If you'd really like to have some fun, try studying the "perspective projection" approaches. A perspective projection approach with three points at infinity is basically the way we "see the world". Also, some form of perspective projection approach is the way gaming engines are going to work.

Also, if you create objects (such as a box) in either DirectX or OpenGL, you can have the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) do most of the mathematical heaving lifting for you. But getting into DirectX isn't easy. Personally, I use The Trick's library to do it in VB6.

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Lively Member

Re: BoxShot 3D

I know about the perspective issue. Unfortunately I have no working knowledge of DirectX or OpenGL to make it right. Thanks for the comments though.