Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Presidential Debates

Re: Presidential Debates

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Republicans? Oh, those people who supported Joe Biden. Like Mitt Romney, "Flint Lead" Snyder, John Kasich, and so many more.
    That comment is no more meaningful now than the first time you posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Republicans? Oh, those people who supported Joe Biden. Like Mitt Romney, "Flint Lead" Snyder, John Kasich, and so many more.
    I mean "real" republicans. You listed RINOs
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I mean "real" republicans. You listed RINOs
    I'm not sure that that's necessarily the case, particularly given that many would call Biden and those like him DINOs. It seems like many just want to claim that those at the interface between the parties aren't "real" members of their own party. Where Republicans are concerned, I'd suggest that they are "real" Republicans in that they see Trump as an existential threat to the their party establishment. To be frank, there's a large number of people from both parties who have very similar fiscal policy and really only differ significantly on the social side, e.g. both support corporations over people but differ on whether abortions and same-sex marriage should be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I'm not sure that that's necessarily the case, particularly given that many would call Biden and those like him DINOs. It seems like many just want to claim that those at the interface between the parties aren't "real" members of their own party. Where Republicans are concerned, I'd suggest that they are "real" Republicans in that they see Trump as an existential threat to the their party establishment. To be frank, there's a large number of people from both parties who have very similar fiscal policy and really only differ significantly on the social side, e.g. both support corporations over people but differ on whether abortions and same-sex marriage should be legal.
    I was half kidding but this is one of the few times I, almost, agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    It seems like many just want to claim that those at the interface between the parties aren't "real" members of their own party.

It does seem funny.. I see a lot of posts on reddit about "X Democrat is fed up and is voting Trump!", but as soon as the opposite comes up "X Republican is voting Biden!" the right instantly goes "those aren't real republicans."

While the democratic party seems to be having a lot of growing pains right now, the Republicans are definitely very divided right now with Trump seemingly being the divisor.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I was half kidding but this is one of the few times I, almost, agree with you
    I'll take that as a win.

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    the Republicans are definitely very divided right now with Trump seemingly being the divisor.
    I think that they are more divided than it appears on the surface too, because it's not just those who agree with Trump and those who don't. It's those who agree with Trump, those who disagree with Trump and are open about it and those who disagree with Trump but hide it because they think that that is the way to power.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

many would call Biden and those like him DINOs
    I've had my suspicions about this guy's integrity for a while
    Name:  Barney.PNG
Views: 845
Size:  167.9 KB
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

As far as I can tell the "real" Dems and Reps are like those two old guys making dollar bets on peoples' lives in Trading Places.

Name:  tp.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  26.3 KB

Your Bidens, Romneys, Clintons, Bushes, and the like.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Well, Big Poppa T has finally told the GSA to process the transition. I think it's a shame he still can't find it in himself to formally concede but at least it looks like he's finally accepting reality.

I have to say, Giuliani appears to have run one of the best grifts I've ever seen on Trump. 20K a day to make him look like an idiot.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I have to say, Giuliani appears to have run one of the best grifts I've ever seen on Trump. 20K a day to make him look like an idiot.
    Like he needs any help with that. Of course, it's not going to be Trump who foots the bill for that farce. It will be his rabid supporters who will never accept that he lost fair and square, even if he were to come out and admit it himself now. They'd spin it as him just doing the best thing for the country after the legal system turned against him as well. Even after Trump himself started wearing masks and got COVID, there are people now dying of COVID in hospital and cursing doctors for not treating them for what they really have. When stupid people invest so much in believing a lie, you cannot redeem them.

Joseph Goebbels, minister of propaganda for the Nazi German government of the Third Reich, understood the power of repeating falsehoods. “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it,” he asserted, “people will eventually come to believe it.” This phenomenon, pervasive in contemporary politics, advertising, and social media, is known in cognitive psychology as the “illusory truth effect.”

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-must-be-true/

Some PA state republican lawmakers, Trump and Giuliani are meeting in Gettysburg today told hold a "hearing" on the election. Of course it is at a hotel not a court room. Pathetic
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Nov 25th, 2020 at 07:22 AM.

At the end of the day, it looks like the most practical situation played out now that the states are starting to certify their results.

I obviously would have loved it if Jo Jorgensen won, but that was never really going to happen.

Biden wins the presidency, the Republicans (in all likelihood) retain a razor thin majority in the senate, and the Republicans pick up 10 house seats but the Democrats keep the majority of the house of representatives.

With those results, I'm thinking that partisanship tendencies will force the federal government into gridlock, making very little happen. And I am completely fine with that.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

PowerPoster

I basically agree with that analysis. And, sadly the bar has been set so low that I'm fine with that. I feel good that we will have a president with morals and cares about this country. Now I can go back to disliking politicians in general.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678