Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Presidential Debates

The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Re: Presidential Debates

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    ...gently?! ... Proroguing parliament was in no way "gentle".
    Perhaps not gently in that case but that needed to be done because parliament was blocking the will of the people and something had to be done to break that deadlock, proroguing parliament was a way to try to force the issue and the people agreed with the direction he was taking, ie. to get Brexit done and ultimately the election proved that Parliament stalling and blocking was wrong for the country.

crash out without a deal
    Well, that is where we politically part company as in my opinion this may not be a bad thing longer term. A divorce will be messy and I expect it to fail.

I will say, though, that Boris's behaviour isn't in same ball park as Trump's.
    Forget all that British politix, this is the point that we all need to focus upon - Trump as a man is a monster and unfit to hold the role.

I cannot believe that I, as a man felt positive when I heard he had acquired Covid 19. My first mental response was "about time, hopefully he will learn some humility and perhaps someone else will take over". I can't believe I have sunk so low as to wish someone ill - but it is a natural reaction to the abhorrency that is that man.

I cannot believe that I, as a man felt positive when I heard he had acquired Covid 19. My first mental response was "about time, hopefully he will learn some humility and perhaps someone else will take over". I can't believe I have sunk so low as to wish someone ill - but it is a natural reaction to the abhorrency that is that man.
    I had the same, how low can we go :-(

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    It is perfectly proper.
    That's a split infinitive.
    On the bright side, I've still got pessimism and despair to fall back on.

Quote Originally Posted by wossy View Post
    split infinitive.
    Nothing wrong with split infinitives as Jim Kirk proved when he boldly went boldly where no bold man has ever boldly gone boldly before - boldly.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Nothing wrong with split infinitives as Jim Kirk proved when he boldly went boldly where no bold man has ever boldly gone boldly before - boldly.
    He got away with it because he done had himself a wicked spaceship.

he done had himself
    You see, that has grammatical consequences I can only start to comprehend. Sounding a lot more Trump-ish.

There's a good chance Trump might miss all of the debates before the election. I'm sure this thought makes his Aides happy.

Anyway, his October surprise might not only be that he caught Covid, but his verbal roll-out of the vaccine that cured him a week before the election, which the public wont have until the end of this year, or months into 2021. Before the time he recieves the cure, he'll state hydroxychloroquin kept him stable for a few days, since there's probably millions of doses stored somewhere collecting dust.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Oct 3rd, 2020 at 04:10 AM.

I dont think so trump will come again in politics after election 2020

Quote Originally Posted by dday9 View Post
    Sometimes I think that not even Kayne knows what Kayne is doing.
    A Kardashian I think.

And we are now to be deprived of their wisdom. We won't be able to keep up with the Kardashians, anymore.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    We won't be able to keep up with the Kardashians, anymore.
    It's been difficult since they acquired Cloaking Device technology.

Are the Kardashians in alliance with the Romulans, then?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Are the Kardashians in alliance with the Romulans, then?
    Yes... it was the result of the Jenner Accords signed sometime back...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hah, any "alliance" with a Romulan is a shallow thing indeed! They will be betrayed at the hour of their weakness, and we... we will be ready to STRIKE! (*cue overly exaggerated fist clench a la Christopher Lloyd*)

PowerPoster

The great thing about 3rd parties is we have so many of them.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Yes... it was the result of the Jenner Accords signed sometime back...

-tg
    Yes that was quite a "transformation" for the galaxy.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Tremors 1 was out in 1990. I was probably 12 years old at the time (just old enough to buy myself a catering pack of Guinness in the UK). It was one of my favourite movies of the early 1990's besides the one with that big dinosaur in it*.

This guy hasn't aged a day! Amazing.

I think it's time the USA had an actor for a President. Vurt Burt!

* Barney I think.

Tremors 1 was out in 1990. I was probably 12 years old at the time (just old enough to buy myself a catering pack of Guinness in the UK). It was one of my favourite movies of the early 1990's besides the one with that big dinosaur in it*.

This guy hasn't aged a day! Amazing.

I think it's time the USA had an actor for a President. Vurt Burt!

* Barney I think.
    Reagan was enough...we are tired of carnival barkers too.

PowerPoster

Go Gummertarians! End the tyranny of career aristocrats.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    Reagan was enough...we are tired of carnival barkers too.
    Reagan? He wasn't an actor.

Have you seen his movies?

PowerPoster

Judging by the last few campaign seasons... we've had plenty of talkers but damned few actors, at least ones who acted on their talk.

I'm reminded of ol' Sheepdog Sanders. Two go-rounds now of big talk and no action followed by bowing to his "opposition" and shaming his own supporters.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I honestly know nothing about Gummer (I couldn't even have told you he was in Tremors) but that was one of the funniest skits I've seen in ages. Does he do many other sketches like that one?
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

I honestly know nothing about Gummer (I couldn't even have told you he was in Tremors) but that was one of the funniest skits I've seen in ages. Does he do many other sketches like that one?
    That was really a promo for the newest direct-to-home-video installment of the Tremors saga.

Burt Gummer is the most consistent character across the entire franchise, sort of the Wolverine of Tremors. LOL

There was a series in addition to the many movies (6 now 7?). I think you can still watch all of the episodes at their YouTube channel Tremors.

This was the best coverage of the debate...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Post #104's video was great. I've seen both of these Biden supporters in the wild.

Maybe you remember him from the sitcom "Family Ties". Center.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I didn't know the tremors films were still a thing. I saw the first years back and loved it though.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

The first one is a classic. Everything else is of uneven quality but there are moments there.

When the 6th movie came out I got a new boxed set of DVDs really cheap (like $12 US). I enjoy them but I wouldn't pay much more. Unlike the first one the rest are "watch once" fare except perhaps the origins flick in the old west.

PowerPoster

Weird Al should do a parody of Prince's song. Call it "When Cucks Cry"

PowerPoster

So does anyone have any comments on the VP debates? I didn't watch them gut would be curious to hear what you Americans think of them.

Don't reckon you're going to get another Presidential debate. Biden would be crazy to take part in person, given that Trump's still contagious at this point, and I can't see Trump changing his mind about a remote debate. Both will entrench their position and blame the other.

So does anyone have any comments on the VP debates? I didn't watch them gut would be curious to hear what you Americans think of them.

Don't reckon you're going to get another Presidential debate. Biden would be crazy to take part in person, given that Trump's still contagious at this point, and I can't see Trump changing his mind about a remote debate. Both will entrench their position and blame the other.
    It was a typical debate like I remember over the years. That in itself was refreshing. There were the usual misstating of facts, attempts to get in zingers, trying to get their own points across. I used to distain that. With Trump I came to miss it. I'd call it a tie or a slight edge to Harris. I think for the most part the media gave it to Harris. There is also the usual left/right split on who won.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Tremors 1 was out in 1990.
    Best movie Kevin Bacon has ever been in

I didn't know the tremors films were still a thing
    When the 6th movie came out
    Wait a minute, there are 6 Tremors movies ????

Tremors 1 was out in 1990. I was probably 12 years old at the time
    same here

(just old enough to buy myself a catering pack of Guinness in the UK).
    the local off licence wouldn't sell you any alchol until you were at least 14 though
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I didn't know the tremors films were still a thing When the 6th movie came out

Wait a minute, there are 6 Tremors movies ????

There are 7 movies, the last one has been released this october :
    Tremors: Shrieker Island (2020)

The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers
    the local off licence wouldn't sell you any alchol until you were at least 14 though
    That is true. But by then I'd been working there full-time for 5 years so I just cracked a can or two in the store room every few hours, between smoke breaks.

Many of you know that I will not be voting for either Trump or Biden, so I really don't have a dog in this fight. I talk to a wide variety of people who I disagree with (in person, not on social media), ranging from nationalist Trump lovers, to the religious right, to climate alarmist, to progressives.

I feel like knowing and talking to these people help me challenge my own beliefs and at the end of the day we can still be friends. I think this is because there is a mutual understanding that when we discuss politics, we talk to listen instead of just talking to "score points".

My friends who are on the mainstream right, will constantly send me stuff about bias in the media. Most of what they send me, I will glance over and immediately right off. But it is difficult when I run into something myself and immediately say "wait a second, something is wrong here"
    Name:  dichotomy.PNG
Views: 517
Size:  107.1 KB

This screenshot was taken from the "trending on Bing" section, where I get a lot of my trending news. The dichotomy between Trump's "combative town hall" and Biden's "Biden lays out vision" is stark. To be honest, the only reason I bring it up is because I've seen this happen a few times now within the past couple of weeks.

What's bad is if I were to post this on social media, American's are so incredibly polarized that half of the people on my news feed would say that I'm taking sides with Trump even though I have no intention on supporting him.

</rant>
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

I got an invalid attachment error.

I have worked with someone for years and we are both on opposite sides of the spectrum. Before Trump came along we could tease each other about our politics and still be friends. In order to remain friendly and work together we had to agree to stop talking about politics altogether. I can't blame trump for all of that. Probably right around 99.9999999999999999999999999999999%

PowerPoster

A thuggish dog-stomping vs. a scripted game of beachball.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast