Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old man needs help

Old man needs help

Good day all. Firstly, please forgive such a stupid question. I am 54 years old and have only a few months ago started with vb.net after I lost my job in aviation due to covid. This is all new to me and I had a choice of either lying down or trying to get back on my feet. A mate recommended vb.net and not C# as I am new to this whole programming thing. I have a few friends that are helping me get small jobs doing desktop programs. I have a possible new client that would like to have a small program that calculates hours for her staff. Yes, excel can do it but she wants a program.

What I am trying to do is calculate two times. It works fine, except when the later time is the next day. For example: Shift is from 22:00 till 06:00, the shift must read 08:00 hours. Currently I am getting -16 hours. I have googled but I am having a really hard time with this.

Below is the code for the button. Please forgive the primitive coding

Public Class Form1
    Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
    Dim TimeOn As DateTime = DateTime.Parse(MaskedTextBox1.Text)
    Dim TimeOff As DateTime = DateTime.Parse(MaskedTextBox2.Text)
    Dim timeDiff As TimeSpan = TimeOff.Subtract(TimeOn)

' Here I need to figure out how to calculate the time if
    ' TimeOff is the next day. Eg. Shift is 22:00 till 06:00
    ' the answer should be 08:00 (8 hours)

TextBox1.Text = (timeDiff.ToString)
    End Sub
    End Class

Re: Old man needs help

My guess is that your inputs are "hh:mm" aren't they? That's the problem... you're only dealing with time... no dates... so there's no context that the end time is the next day... when you parse a time into a date time, with no date, it defaults to 1/1/1899 (or something like that) ... so your TimeOn = "1/1/1899 22:00:00.000" and TimeOff = "1/1/1899 06:00:00.000" ... and the difference according to your calculation is -16hours.

So you need to give it dates as well as a time. TimeOn = "8/25/2020 22:00:00.000" and TimeOff = "8/26/2020 06:00:00.000" would give you the right result.

Hoe you do that is up to you, but there is a DateTimePicker control that is available... for entering dates and times...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    My guess is that your inputs are "hh:mm" aren't they? That's the problem... you're only dealing with time... no dates... so there's no context that the end time is the next day... when you parse a time into a date time, with no date, it defaults to 1/1/1899 (or something like that) ... so your TimeOn = "1/1/1899 22:00:00.000" and TimeOff = "1/1/1899 06:00:00.000" ... and the difference according to your calculation is -16hours.

So you need to give it dates as well as a time. TimeOn = "8/25/2020 22:00:00.000" and TimeOff = "8/26/2020 06:00:00.000" would give you the right result.

Hoe you do that is up to you, but there is a DateTimePicker control that is available... for entering dates and times...

-tg
    Thank you so much. That makes perfect sense (the date issue). I will try it out a bit later and get back to you. Thank you for taking the time to reply. It is highly appreciated.
    Kind Regards,
    Dmitri

Welcome to VBForums

An alternative way to do it is to just assume that a shift is a positive amount of time, less than 24 hours. You can then add 24 hours until the value is positive:
    Code:

Do While timeDiff.Hours < 0
       timeDiff.Add(New TimeSpan(24, 0, 0))
    Loop

Note that this is less "correct" than tg's suggestion, but potentially better for the user.

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    Welcome to VBForums

An alternative way to do it is to just assume that a shift is a positive amount of time, less than 24 hours. You can then add 24 hours until the value is positive:
    Code:

Loop

Note that this is less "correct" than tg's suggestion, but potentially better for the user.
    Thanks for this. I will be keeping these in notes. You folks must have been doing this for years and started young. I do appreciate the kind assistance.
    Does this thread need to be closed and if so how as I cannot see anywhere to mark this as solved.

Once again, many thanks and kind regards,
    Dmitri

Also, quit calling yourself old. You're making me feel bad.

I once thought I was one of the older people on this forum, but now I know I'm not. I'm only a year back of you, too.

Also, let me say that VB is a fine choice, but C# would be, as well. Once you know one, moving to the other wouldn't be terribly difficult. The syntax is different, but the structure would all be the same.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post

I once thought I was one of the older people on this forum, but now I know I'm not. I'm only a year back of you, too.

Also, let me say that VB is a fine choice, but C# would be, as well. Once you know one, moving to the other wouldn't be terribly difficult. The syntax is different, but the structure would all be the same.
    Thanks. I am hoping that things get back to "normal" again in the next year or so and then maybe I can get my old job back, but the entire world has gone pear shaped. I like the feeling of learning something new, but it is difficult switching a mindset of 25 plus years to programming.

like tg said you need the Date also

perhaps this will help to
    Code:
     Dim startTime As New DateTime(2020, 8, 27, 22, 0, 0) ' 22:00 today
     Dim endTime As New DateTime(2020, 8, 28, 6, 0, 0)   ' 6:00 tomorrow

Dim duration As TimeSpan = endTime - startTime 'Subtract start time from end time

MsgBox("Totalhours :" & duration.TotalHours)
    and welcome to the VBforums
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post

I wish I was as young as the two of you...
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

We are all young

"Is young any man who forgot to grow old because he had much better things to do in life", Peter Ustinov
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Quote Originally Posted by DmitriDumas View Post
    Thanks for this. I will be keeping these in notes. You folks must have been doing this for years and started young. I do appreciate the kind assistance.
    Does this thread need to be closed and if so how as I cannot see anywhere to mark this as solved.

Once again, many thanks and kind regards,
    Dmitri
    I tried this code. If both times are the same day, it works. If the end time is the next day, my program hangs.

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Loop
    ' Here I need to figure out how to calculate the time if
    ' TimeOff is the next day. Eg. Shift is 22:00 till 06:00
    ' the answer should be 08:00 (8 hours)

TextBox1.Text = (timeDiff.TotalHours)
    End Sub

Thank you so much. That makes perfect sense (the date issue). I will try it out a bit later and get back to you. Thank you for taking the time to reply. It is highly appreciated.
    Kind Regards,
    Dmitri
    I like this. The issue that I need to solve is that I need to enter the time manually. I changed a few of the datetimepicker options (short, time, custom) but I just cannot seem to find where I add the time.

Frenzied Member

Old habits die hard... C# is structurally similar to vb.net but has a less intuitive (IMHO) syntax. Anyone who really wants to try something mind bendingly different should try writing what you would normally write using some form of BASIC in a functional programming language. At least a mostly functional one such as FSharp. Makes for good thought experiments. :-)

It turns out I made I mistake, this line:
    Code:
    ..should have been:
    Code:
                timeDiff += New TimeSpan(24, 0, 0)

Code:
    ..should have been:
    Code:
    Thank you and apologies for late reply. I will implement that shortly and get back to you. I will also google to see what the difference is between the two. Would you know of any good ebooks that I can download. I have checked many site but the beginners books are way over my head.

Regards,
    Dmitri

Sinecure devotee

If the books seem too advance, then perhaps try some tutorial sites.
    The following one is a popular one, I think.

http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk

Try the "Visual Basic .NET for Beginners" tutorial, of course.

Another example of a tutorial site.
    http://www.java2s.com/Tutorial/VB/CatalogVB.htm

Sometimes it is good to try several, even in parallel, to get different perspectives on the topics, and have something to compare, contrast and corroborate what you read.
    Last edited by passel; Aug 28th, 2020 at 07:51 AM.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Thank you and apologies for late reply. I will implement that shortly and get back to you. I will also google to see what the difference is between the two. Would you know of any good ebooks that I can download. I have checked many site but the beginners books are way over my head.

Regards,
    Dmitri
    Thank you so much. It works. I am trying to format the answer for HH:mm but if I do not come right I will have to ask for assistance again, but I would like to try this out for myself first.
    Regards,
    Dmitri

Much appreciated. Will have a look this weekend
    Regards
    D

Code:
    ..should have been:
    Code:
    I have tried to format the label to display the resulting hours in HH:mm

' TextBox1.Text = (timeDiff.TotalHours)

Loop
    ' I need the label to display HH:mm of the total time
    Label1.Text = (timeDiff.TotalHours).ToString("HH:mm")

End Sub

The issue I am having is that the label does not display the hours but displays HH:mm. I have searched but the only results that I find on the net is for c# or ASP

If I do Label1.Text = (timeDiff.ToString("HH:mm")) it throws an error of incorrect format. Even when I to ("HH:mm tt")

If someone could show me a tutorial on how to do this. I looked at homeandlearn as well as java links that were provided but could not find any solution to this.
    Apologies for a simple question.
    Regards,
    Dmitri

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...format-strings might be worth a look, it explains more of custom formatting strings for a TimeSpan.

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...format-strings might be worth a look, it explains more of custom formatting strings for a TimeSpan.
    Many thanks. Busy looking at it now. I found a site called https://converter.telerik.com/ that converts c# to vb.net:

Private Sub SurroundingSub()
    Dim ts1 As TimeSpan = New TimeSpan(14, 3, 17)
    Console.WriteLine(ts1.ToString("d\.hh\:mm\:ss"))
    Dim ts2 As TimeSpan = New TimeSpan(3, 4, 3, 17)
    Console.WriteLine(ts2.ToString("d\.hh\:mm\:ss"))
    End Sub

Now I just need to figure out how to implement this is my situation.

Thanks again
    Dmitri

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    I tried this:
    Label1.Text = (timeDiff.ToString("hh\:mm"))

And it works like a charm. THANK YOU to all you folks who have taken the time to assist me. You folks are amazing. THANK YOU ALL again <3

Everything works regarding the time and formatting. I am now trying to get some restrictions on user input. I have checked the docs at MS and found that this works:

Private Sub MskSunOn_KeyPress(sender As Object, e As KeyPressEventArgs) Handles MskSunOn.KeyPress
    If (e.KeyChar < "0" OrElse e.KeyChar > "9") AndAlso e.KeyChar <> ControlChars.Back Then
    e.Handled = True
    End If
    End Sub

I need to prevent the user from using the TAB button until the entire masked text box (HH:mm) is filled in. If you tab before all the characters are entered, you get an error.
    I checked that the Keychar for tab is 11. I tried inserting this in the above code as well but I can still tab out of the Msk without any values or only a few values filled in.

Regards,
    Dmitri

Frenzied Member

What kind of error? There are many similar questions with as many different answers. Try Googling "vb.net prevent texbox from losing focus".

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Swinkels View Post
    What kind of error? There are many similar questions with as many different answers. Try Googling "vb.net prevent texbox from losing focus".
    I need both maskedtextboxes filled in with the times, or I get an error. If you tab out of the first box without entering the time and move to the second box, the calculation is incorrect and it throws an error. I have so far gotten it to work with only numerals. Now if I can just get this leaving the box before completion, I will be one very happy individual

Frenzied Member

I need both maskedtextboxes filled in with the times, or I get an error. If you tab out of the first box without entering the time and move to the second box, the calculation is incorrect and it throws an error. I have so far gotten it to work with only numerals. Now if I can just get this leaving the box before completion, I will be one very happy individual
    What is the error message’s text?

Have you considered simply validating the resulting input when the user tries to leave the control and force them to enter something that is valid, for example:

Code:
        Private Sub MaskedTextBox1_Validating(sender As Object, e As System.ComponentModel.CancelEventArgs) Handles MaskedTextBox1.Validating        
            Dim time As DateTime
            If DateTime.TryParse(MaskedTextBox1.Text, time) = False Then
                e.Cancel = True
                MessageBox.Show(Me, "Invalid time", "Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
            End If
        End Sub

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Young View Post
    Have you considered simply validating the resulting input when the user tries to leave the control and force them to enter something that is valid, for example:

Code:
        Private Sub MaskedTextBox1_Validating(sender As Object, e As System.ComponentModel.CancelEventArgs) Handles MaskedTextBox1.Validating        
            Dim time As DateTime
            If DateTime.TryParse(MaskedTextBox1.Text, time) = False Then
                e.Cancel = True
                MessageBox.Show(Me, "Invalid time", "Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
            End If
        End Sub
    I tried validating but as mentioned I am very very new to programming and still getting to grips with the syntax etc. I write down what I want to accomplish and how I want to. It is the implementation that I need to get to grips with. Thank you for your feedback. I will try this shortly and revert back.

Kind regards,
    Dmitri

I tried it and it works. Thank you so much for your kind assistance.

Regards,
    Dmitri

Hi folks. Thanks for all your help. I now have a weird situation where I add up all the hours and I get a result that makes no sense. As soon as the total hours reaches 24, the result shows 1:00:00:00 I have attached the screenshot as well as my code below:

Dim Span1 As TimeSpan = TimeSpan.Parse(TxtSunHrs.Text)
    Dim Span2 As TimeSpan = TimeSpan.Parse(TxtMonHrs.Text)
    Dim Span3 As TimeSpan = TimeSpan.Parse(TxtTueHrs.Text)
    Dim Span4 As TimeSpan = TimeSpan.Parse(TxtWedHrs.Text)
    Dim Span5 As TimeSpan = TimeSpan.Parse(TxtThuHrs.Text)
    Dim Span6 As TimeSpan = TimeSpan.Parse(TxtFriHrs.Text)
    Dim Span7 As TimeSpan = TimeSpan.Parse(TxtSatHrs.Text)
    Dim TotalTime As TimeSpan = Span1 + Span2 + Span3 + Span4 + Span5 + Span6 + +Span7

TxtTTLHrs.Text = TotalTime.ToString

Here is one of the textboxes to get the hours for Sunday (txtsunhrs)
    Private Sub MaskedTextBox2_Leave(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles MskSunOff.Leave
    Dim TimeOn As DateTime = DateTime.Parse(MskSunOn.Text)
    Dim TimeOff As DateTime = DateTime.Parse(MskSunOff.Text)

Loop
    TxtSunHrs.Text = (timeDiff.ToString("hh\:mm"))
    End Sub

What on Earth am I doing wrong?

Regards,
    Dmitri
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DmitriDumas; Aug 31st, 2020 at 02:03 AM.

Hi folks. I managed to figure it out. I changed TxtTTLHrs.Text = TotalTime.ToString to
    TxtTTLHrs.Text = TotalTime.ToHours and it works. I actually need the time in hours and minutes format. If someone could give me a clue on how to do that.

I have to say that the help I have received here is amazing