Thread: Socket connected but send doesn't seem to work

Socket connected but send doesn't seem to work

I have an old vb6 desktop application which communicates with a mainframe server using socket (winsock 2) that i need to convert to .net. I found the small code which seems correct to me using System.Net.Socket. When running the console window just hang there showing blank.
    Code:
            Dim s As Socket = ConnectSocket(server, port)

If s Is Nothing Then
                Return "Connection failed"
            End If
            ' Send request to the server.

Dim numSent As Integer
            numSent = s.Send(bytesSent)

Dim bytes As Int32

Do
                bytes = s.Receive(bytesReceived, bytesReceived.Length, 0)
                Console.WriteLine(bytes.ToString())

Loop While bytes > 0
    Here is the connect function
    Code:
    Private Function ConnectSocket(server As String, port As Integer) As Socket
            Dim s As Socket = Nothing
            Dim hostEntry As IPHostEntry = Nothing

' Get host related information.
            hostEntry = Dns.GetHostEntry(server)

' Loop through the AddressList to obtain the supported AddressFamily. This is to avoid
            ' an exception that occurs when the host host IP Address is not compatible with the address family
            ' (typical in the IPv6 case).
            Dim address As IPAddress

For Each address In hostEntry.AddressList
                Dim endPoint As New IPEndPoint(address, port)
                Dim tempSocket As New Socket(endPoint.AddressFamily, SocketType.Stream, ProtocolType.Tcp)

tempSocket.Connect(endPoint)

If tempSocket.Connected Then
                    s = tempSocket
                    Exit For
                End If

Next address

Return s
        End Function
    So I run wireshark on the port the app is communicating (port in the code above) I can see package sent and received with connectSocket, but no package is detected with s.Send(bytesSent). I wonder why.
    Last edited by flyingpan; Aug 26th, 2020 at 04:50 PM.

Frenzied Member

Re: Socket connected but send doesn't seem to work

Hello, it is hard for me tell what exactly your question is. Do you mean you can't detect certain packages with WireShark or is this dection issue with your vb.net program?

Sinecure devotee

Did you step through the program to see what happens? If you've used vb6 in the past, hopefully you're familiar with stepping through code in the IDE to see where things go awry.

Also, the example you followed may not have been the best.
    I think the receive call will block until you receive data, so bytes will never equal 0, so you will never leave the loop.
    You may receive data back, tell it to write to the console, which will probably happen when the program has time to "breath", and immediately loop back and sit on the receive forever, and what you wrote to the console is never seen because you've hung the thread waiting on the receive.
    Last edited by passel; Aug 28th, 2020 at 07:29 AM.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Yes, I did step through the program, no exception or error was thrown. I got numSent =5, which is the number of characters i "Send". But no wireshark package is detected to leave my machine. Yes, it does hang on the do loop since nothing was received, which would consider normal if no packet was sent at the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Swinkels View Post
    Hello, it is hard for me tell what exactly your question is. Do you mean you can't detect certain packages with WireShark or is this dection issue with your vb.net program?
    I wasn't able to receive any package from the remote port. So I started wireshark to see what was the issue. I can't detect any packages sent from my machine to the remote port with s.Send(bytesSent), I DID get handshake packages in wireshark from my machine to remote port with ConnectSocket(server, port). I also stepped through the code and added try catch blocks, no exception or error was thrown. program runs normally till hang at do loop, which makes sense because no package was received.

My question is, is there obvious reason my package was not "sent", at least no package was detected to leave my machine. No firewall or antivirus present.

Sinecure devotee

Perhaps since you're using TCP, the Nagle algorithm is buffering the stream for efficiency, and your message is too short so is stuck in the buffer waiting for more byte stream before sending.
    After your creation of tempSocket, you can try adding

tempSocket.NoDelay = True

to disable Nagle, and the data should be transmitted without consolidating multiple send calls into one transmission.

Haven't tested it. I've only used TcpClient class (System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient), and haven't experience any issues with data not being sent with that. I'm just guessing since you say you don't see the data going out, that Nagle may be a possible reason.

I already had a program that would wait for a TCP connetion, and read bytes from the stream, initially 4 bytes to get the size of the data coming and then it would read the data. The waiting for connection, then reading data ran in a background thread for simplicity.

I just tried a quick test of sending four bytes over a TCP connection to that application, from a console application using your code as an example, and I received the four bytes. I didn't need to set NoDelay, so I couldn't verify there was a problem, and that setting NoDelay would get around it.

Code:
    Imports System.Net.Sockets
    Imports System.Net

Module Module1

Sub Main()
        Dim status As String = testSocket()
        Console.WriteLine(status)
        Console.ReadKey()
      End Sub

Private Function testSocket() As String
        Dim s As Socket = ConnectSocket("127.0.0.1", 3030)
        Dim bytesSent() As Byte = {49, 50, 51, 52}

If s Is Nothing Then
        End If

Dim numSent As Integer
        Return ("Bytes Sent")

End Function

'  hostEntry = Dns.GetHostEntry(server)

' Loop through the AddressList to obtain the supported AddressFamily. This is to avoid
        ' an exception that occurs when the host host IP Address is not compatible with the address family
        '  Dim address As IPAddress

'   For Each address In hostEntry.AddressList
        Dim endPoint As New IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Parse(server), port)
        Dim tempSocket As New Socket(endPoint.AddressFamily, SocketType.Stream, ProtocolType.Tcp)

s = tempSocket
          '     Exit For
        End If

'    Next address

Return s
      End Function

End Module
    Perhaps because I was using the local loopback IP address, Nagle doesn't get used because the data wouldn't actually go out the NIC, so Network efficiency doesn't really apply. The test could be invalid. But, I don't feel like setting up another computer on the network to do more testing, as I should be heading to bed anyway.
    Last edited by passel; Aug 30th, 2020 at 09:34 PM.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Thank you for mentioning Nagle, I tried .NoDlay = True, still no luck.I will try TcpClient.

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    Perhaps since you're using TCP, the Nagle algorithm is buffering the stream for efficiency, and your message is too short so is stuck in the buffer waiting for more byte stream before sending.
    After your creation of tempSocket, you can try adding

tempSocket.NoDelay = True

to disable Nagle, and the data should be transmitted without consolidating multiple send calls into one transmission.

Haven't tested it. I've only used TcpClient class (System.Net.Sockets.TcpClient), and haven't experience any issues with data not being sent with that. I'm just guessing since you say you don't see the data going out, that Nagle may be a possible reason.

I already had a program that would wait for a TCP connetion, and read bytes from the stream, initially 4 bytes to get the size of the data coming and then it would read the data. The waiting for connection, then reading data ran in a background thread for simplicity.

I just tried a quick test of sending four bytes over a TCP connection to that application, from a console application using your code as an example, and I received the four bytes. I didn't need to set NoDelay, so I couldn't verify there was a problem, and that setting NoDelay would get around it.

Code:
    Imports System.Net.Sockets
    Imports System.Net

Module Module1

Sub Main()
        Dim status As String = testSocket()
        Console.WriteLine(status)
        Console.ReadKey()
      End Sub

Private Function testSocket() As String
        Dim s As Socket = ConnectSocket("127.0.0.1", 3030)
        Dim bytesSent() As Byte = {49, 50, 51, 52}

If s Is Nothing Then
        End If

Dim numSent As Integer
        Return ("Bytes Sent")

End Function

'  hostEntry = Dns.GetHostEntry(server)

'  Dim address As IPAddress

'   For Each address In hostEntry.AddressList
        Dim endPoint As New IPEndPoint(IPAddress.Parse(server), port)

s = tempSocket
          '     Exit For
        End If

'    Next address

Return s
      End Function

End Module
    Perhaps because I was using the local loopback IP address, Nagle doesn't get used because the data wouldn't actually go out the NIC, so Network efficiency doesn't really apply. The test could be invalid. But, I don't feel like setting up another computer on the network to do more testing, as I should be heading to bed anyway.

I don't think Nagle's algorithm is the problem here. I'm not even sure the problem is on this side. This is looking like a problem on the other end of that connection. The server isn't sending anything back. I'd look more closely at what is happening on that end if I were you.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber