Thread: Best way to store a list of emails from a website?

PowerPoster

Best way to store a list of emails from a website?

I'm working on a website that contains a link where users can signup for a weekly devotional/inspirational message that would be sent to their email account. My question is, what is considered the best way to store all the emails and retrieve them? Database? XML File?...

Thanks,
    Blake

Re: Best way to store a list of emails from a website?

If you have a DB already in place as part of this project, then by all means use that. If there is no database AND all you will ever store is a list of emails, you might consider a text file. Although text files are not meant for sharing and a web page can be hit simultaneously from many users. Text file "locking" and "sharing" is a real concern in the IIS / ASP.Net type of web pages I work on.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

PowerPoster

szlamany,

There is no DB in place for this project and one is not needed. I was thinking about a text file as well. This is not an ASP.Net website...just straight HTML, Javascript, CSS. As you said, "sharing" and "locking" can come into play with a textfile so I'm wondering if a DB would be the best option? Plus, since I have never done this before, I'm thinking that just a javascript function to kick off this functionality of mass mailing that can be triggered someone (still not sure how to trigger a script from the web server).
    Blake

I send email from my web server - how are you going to get the browser to send a series of emails without clicking on each email TO link?

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008