Thread: TCP TraceRoute

Hyperactive Member

TCP TraceRoute

I need to expand my code to be able to do a TCP trace route in code (Using syn packets with increasing TTL) in the same way that the linux command line utility does.

Does anyone here have any experience in doing this? I did find some code that was supposed to do it using a dll called rawtcpip.dll however it does not work and there is no source code for the dll itself. I would like to avoid using winpcap to do this and was hoping that there is a raw sockets example of doing this somewhere or that someone here had experience in this area.

thanks

Hyperactive Member

Re: TCP TraceRoute

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    You would probably need to use some of the iphlpapi.dll function like GetRTTAndHopCount.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    Thanks for the reply. TCP Trace Route actually sends SYN packets with an incrementing TTL. When the SYN hits a hop and the TTL has expired that hop will reply with an ICMP TTL expired message. When it eventually gets to the target the target will either send a SYN ACK or ICMP port unavailable.

I am struggling to do that in code as Windows wont let me send a raw SYN packet on a raw socket. I thought someone might have solved this problem.

Re: TCP TraceRoute

Quote Originally Posted by vbwins View Post
    I thought someone might have solved this problem.
    Definately solved for Windows: https://github.com/larsch/racert

Definately not solved in VB6 but you might try a port of some implementation on github you find attractive.

cheers,
    </wqw>