Thread: Loop not working

Loop not working

Hi there,

I am new here and need assistance with a very simple code that sometimes wont work.

Scenario:

At work I cannot run an excel sheet linked to a RDT server to get online stock quotations and the solution is to do that via GOOGLE SHEET where RDT links wont work.

I have an excel set at my computer and it is getting live data from a server (RDT) and I came up with the code below to convert results to CSV file. That file gets saved in a google drive folder from where my google sheet is connected and getting that data from.

Code in excel: Working fine until loop is initiated.
    Code:
    Dim flag As Boolean

Sub Button1_Click()
        flag = True
        sbCopyRangeToAnotherSheet
    End Sub

Sub Button2_Click()
        flag = False
    End Sub
    Sub sbCopyRangeToAnotherSheet()
    On Error Resume Next
    If flag = True Then
            Application.DisplayAlerts = False
            Sheets("RDT").Range("b1").Value = DateTime.Now
            Sheets("RDT").Copy
            ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="C:\Users\Admin\Google Drive\Opcoes Sheet\RDT.csv", FileFormat:=xlCSVUTF8, CreateBackup:=False
            ActiveWorkbook.Close
            Application.DisplayAlerts = True
            Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:01:00"), "sbCopyRangeToAnotherSheet"
    Else
    End
    End If

End Sub

CSV is getting saved perfectly, but after some loops (ramdonly) I get an error saying:

FILE NOT FOUND 'c:\TEMP\VB34C3.TMP" (It changes the TMP file name every time the error occurs)

Actions already taken:
    - reinstalled office 365
    - deleted temp folder
    - tried adding pause of 30 seconds (allowing the tmp file to be created)
    - tried using kill "c:\temp\*.tmp"

Dont know what else I can do to solve this.
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Aug 9th, 2020 at 07:32 AM. Reason: added Code tags

Re: Loop not working

You've posted this in the VB.NET forum but that's obviously wrong. It appears to be Excel VBA so i have asked the mods to move this thread to the Office Development forum. Please know what language you're using and post in the appropriate forum.

Welcome to VBForums

Thread moved from the 'VB.Net' forum to the 'Office Development/VBA' forum.

Frenzied Member

A few tips:
    1. Give controls and variables meaningful names.
    2. "If boolean = True Then ..." can be shortened to "If boolean Then ..." .
    3. Don't hardcode absolute paths and take a look at this: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...environ-on-vba.
    4. Don't use "On Error Resume Next" unless you are certain you want to ignore errors.
    5. Don't use the "End" statement. It crashes your program without closing or unloading stuff.

PowerPoster

you try to list all errors to find if any specific ones are causing a problem
    Code:
            if not err.number = 0 then msgbox err.description & vbnewline & "No. " & err.number
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
            Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:01:00"), "sbCopyRangeToAnotherSheet"
    Else

End If
    you could also record them in the immediate window, but for toubleshooting may be better to see them occur, you could also record the time the error occurs to see if it matches any conditions that may have occurred

it may be better to set a new workbook to an object variable rather than relying on using the active workbook, copy the sheet to the new workbook, delete any additional existing sheets then save and close the new workbook
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Sorry about that. Tks for supporting.

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    Welcome to VBForums

Thread moved from the 'VB.Net' forum to the 'Office Development/VBA' forum.
    Tks a lot.