Thread: How to Delete a DataGrid1 Row Without Deleting All the Rows After? VB6

How to Delete a DataGrid1 Row Without Deleting All the Rows After? VB6

Hello, I have a DataGrid1 hooked up to adodc1, and an access file connected with adodc1 through settings (not code). The problem is when I delete a row from the middle of DataGrid1 using a DblClick on that row .. the row goes away just fine -which is what I want-, but when I hit the CmdLog button to log a new entry from the end of the DataGrid .. all rows after where the DblClick was disappear. My database is Access 2003, and I am working on VB6.

Two Questions:

1- How to delete a row from the middle of the DataGrid1, and get the rows before & after it stitched together?
    2- Is there a way to make the data saved all at once upon an event i.e., button click or closing the program?

Here is my code

Code:
     Private Sub DataGrid1_DblClick()

On Error GoTo Rora

DataGrid1.Refresh
    Adodc1.Recordset.Delete
    Adodc1.Refresh
    Adodc1.Recordset.Update
    'Adodc1.Recordset.Refresh

Rora:
    Exit Sub

End Sub

Private Sub CmdLog_Click()

Adodc1.Refresh
    Adodc1.Recordset.AddNew
    DataGrid1.Columns(0) = Variable
    DataGrid1.Columns(1) = Variable1
    DataGrid1.Columns(2) = Variable2
    DataGrid1.Columns(3) = Variable3
    DataGrid1.Columns(4) = Variable4
    DataGrid1.Columns(5) = Variable5
    DataGrid1.Columns(6) = Variable6
    Adodc1.Recordset.MoveLast

End Sub

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: How to Delete a DataGrid1 Row Without Deleting All the Rows After? VB6

Moved to VB6 as this isn't really a DB question. You're likely to get better answers here.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

It should be as simple as just deleting the record.

What service pack do you have installed? You should be running SP6 if you have no SP installed perhaps that could be your problem. I personally do not use the adodc in part because early on there was a bug that caused a problem when it was bound to a grid. The bug was fixed in an early service pack but I never went back to using it as I like the control I get from using straight up code instead.

I have no service pack installed, but I just downloaded service pack 6 from Microsoft's website; it seems like the extracted files don't run in any folder. What folder should I extract them into?

If a grid can be saved without the use of adodc that would be great! Can it?
    Last edited by SaudVb; Aug 13th, 2020 at 05:18 PM.

Link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=5721

Installation Instructions:

Before starting the download, create a download directory on your computer. If your internet connection is less than 300K, it is recommended that you run the multi-part download by following the "More Information" link at the upper right, then clicking "Download Now."

Click "Download" to begin downloading the single download. When prompted by the download software, choose the option "Save this program to disk" and click OK. Then select the directory you created on your computer.

Run the file from the download directory. When prompted, select the same directory you created on your computer. You will be expanding the contents of the EXE into this directory.

Run SetupSP6.exe from the download directory. When you accept the terms of the electronic End User License Agreement (EULA) the setup software will replace the appropriate files in your Visual Basic 6.0 installation.

PowerPoster

Trying to fight with the DataGrid in code isn't the best option. It already supports row-deletion:

Name:  sshot1.png
Views: 784
Size:  2.1 KB
    Data

Name:  sshot2.png
Views: 853
Size:  2.3 KB
    Row Selector clicked

Name:  sshot3.png
Views: 849
Size:  1.9 KB
    DELete key pressed, deleting the row

Mr. jdc2000,

Thank you. This is what I got. They're two pictures.

Name:  vb6 sp6.PNG
Views: 837
Size:  4.9 KB

Name:  vb6 sp6 2.PNG
Views: 834
Size:  5.0 KB

Name:  vb6 sp6 3.PNG
Views: 844
Size:  5.3 KB
    Last edited by SaudVb; Aug 13th, 2020 at 06:50 PM.

Mr. dilettante,

Very good, thank you. But The issue isn't about the ability to delete; the issue is when you delete a row then insert a new row, all rows get deleted except for the top one.
    Last edited by SaudVb; Aug 13th, 2020 at 06:28 PM.

PowerPoster

To use a code based RS rather than the adodc you have to create a rs and bind the grid to it.
    There is a handy dandy little data form wizard in VB that will create a basic data form for you. You can choose to use datagrid there and you can choose control, code or class. When you choose code it will create a few routines that open the selected table and bind it to the grid, also will add code for adding, deleting and other stuff. It is far from perfect but it can give you an idea of how to do this through code.

To use the data form wizard just go to project/add form and select the data form wizard from the list of templates that show up.

DataMiser,

You're right, I learned this from "brucevde" https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....30#post5489430

But it would be great to also learn how to save this coded grid so the user doesn't lose his data after restarting the app. Whether to save within the app or as an export/import file .. doesn't matter.
    Last edited by SaudVb; Aug 13th, 2020 at 07:03 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SaudVb View Post
    DataMiser,

You're right, I learned this from "brucevde" https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....30#post5489430

But it would be great to also learn how to save this coded grid so the user resumes working after restarting the app.
    Are you talking about the in memory recordset from that thread? Not sure what you are trying to do or ask at this point.
    The dataform wizard approach uses a db. It is simple enough to write something to an ini file so that you can pick up in the same spot the next time the user runs the app if you want. As for an in memory rs well first you have to save the rs to disk then you would have to reload it when the run the program again. Definitely can be done but makes a lot more sense to use a database.

PowerPoster

Here I have entered Row 1, Row 2, Row 3, and Row 4. Then I deleted Row 2. Finally I added New Row:

Name:  sshot.png
Views: 851
Size:  2.0 KB

In this case I have also formatted the "Price" column in the DataGrid, as well as hiding the Id column:

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
        Dim Fmt As StdFormat.StdDataFormat

Set Fmt = New StdFormat.StdDataFormat
        With Fmt
            .Type = fmtCustom
            .Format = "$#0.00"
            .NullValue = vbNullString
        End With
        With DataGrid1
            .WrapCellPointer = True
            .TabAction = dbgGridNavigation
            .Columns("Id").Visible = False
            Set .Columns("Price").DataFormat = Fmt
        End With
    End Sub

So I don't see the problem. Most likely you have broken something in code (probably fiddling with DataGrid1.Recordset in code, always a bad idea).

Don't use the old ADODC at all. As I said in another thread, the DataEnvironment replaced it in 1998 and is far more powerful and flexible anyway. But even if you insist on using the clunky old ADODC it should not be broken enough to cause the problem you are seeing.