Thread: [RESOLVED] Missing Windows Forms Application template

Resolved [RESOLVED] Missing Windows Forms Application template

Hi

Just did a new install of VS Community. Launched VB and trying to create a new windows forms application but no such template appears. 12 templates appear (ASP.NET web app, Azure x 3, blank app, class lib x 3, console app, shared project, unit test app, windows runtime component) under VB, but no windows forms application. See screenshot.

Can this be fixed without a reinstall?

Any advice gratefully received. thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Missing Windows Forms Application template

I see Windows Classic Desktop on there. I'm pretty sure that's the one you want. Standard Project would probably get you there, too. That's probably just missing a few references, like that to Windows.Forms.

Keep in mind that there's nothing really special about a template. The template just gives you a set of default references, and maybe a few default folders and files. You could create all of that yourself from a blank template if you wanted to, it would just be a pain.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Thanks for responding.

I've selected the top level of the "templates" tree so all the templates for VB are listed. By selecting "windows desktop classic", for example, below that only gives a subset of the 12 that appear at the top level - no new ones.

And while I could do it myself, yes it would be a pain. Still interested to know if it's fixable.

Thanks again.

If this is 2017, then it is a modular program. You don't get the whole thing at once. Instead, you just get the templates and project types in whatever packages you have downloaded, and you end up downloading more as you need more. I haven't used it enough to understand it thoroughly. I do remember Sitten suggesting that you get two choices right off, which is essentially Windows Universal, or Windows classic (or something like that), and your choice at that time has some lasting impact on what types you see. If that is the case (and I'd expect to see somebody, probably Sitten, clarify this), any you have Windows Universal as an option currently, then you probably made the wrong choice at that step.

Until that gets clarified, one thing you might do is choose the Console App, add a reference to System.Windows.Forms, add a form, then set that form as the startup object. That may be all you'd need to do to get to what amounts to the Windows Forms template, though there may be a few other changes on the project properties, as well, since I've never tried that.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

You don't want to know.

The installer gave you some choices at some point, and one of the choices would've been for something like "Windows Desktop Development". You might have chosen something more like "Windows App Development".

That's confusing, I know. MS started asking developers to stop using Windows Forms 11 years ago. They've been politely asking for 11 years, now we're at the point where they don't ask politely anymore.

Try the installer again, and pay careful attention to your choices. I've attached the screen you're looking for.

"Universal Windows Development" is the thing MS wants you to use and will work for the near future. ".NET Desktop Development" includes Windows Forms and will work for at least one more Windows version.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sitten Spynne; May 16th, 2017 at 11:14 AM.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Excellent advice. Thanks guys. I will try again and report.

Yep, all better now. Thanks for this. No doubt I'll be back with new problems soon

Thank you immensely.
    I went to the install where UWP was checked from my first install.
    I hit modify and checked .NET Desktop Development (you can still keep UWP if you want)
    It then added the .Net DD. Picked all my extra components from Infragistics and Active Reports.
    Could then immediately open my old 2015 solutions and continue working and saving in 2017
    YOU ARE A MIRACLE WORKER. I will pass your info along with your references !

Quote Originally Posted by Sitten Spynne View Post
    The installer gave you some choices at some point, and one of the choices would've been for something like "Windows Desktop Development". You might have chosen something more like "Windows App Development".
    So the solution to this is to uninstall and reinstall VS2017?
    Then make sure Universal is selected in the referenced screen shot?

Just want to confirm, as I am stuck asking IT for help to do this...