Thread: How do I protect an image in a new Window from being downloaded?

PowerPoster

How do I protect an image in a new Window from being downloaded?

I'm working on a website that contains a link that when clicked on, will open a new html page loaded with a photo gallery. These photos are small; 300 width x height=auto.

The user may click on an image and from that point, it will open a new Window Tab. What I need to be able to do is protect the images from being downloaded on this new larger sized image Tab. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
    Blake

PowerPoster

Re: How do I protect an image in a new Window from being downloaded?

You can't.

PowerPoster

Well, I know you can protect images from being downloaded so, there has to be a way...
    Blake

PowerPoster

Give an example of a site that does this.

If a browser can display the image, there's a way to get the image. And even if you could theoretically block image download, you can't stop people from taking a screenshot.

PowerPoster

I had to laugh at the results when doing a google search for this. The first suggestion was to implement javascript code that disables right-clicking on your web page. That took me back. 1999 web page "security". The fact that that is still the #1 suggested "solution" for this should be quite telling.

Good luck.

This can be done setting contextmenu to false.
    But trust me, is of no use cos someone can just hit ctrl+s and still save the image to a folder. So is a wasted effort!!!

PowerPoster

Well, for someone who wishes to use the image professionally, like in an advertisement, it's not a wasted effort. Whoever is dumb enough to execute a ctrl+s obviously isn't concerned with the quality of the image. I know it's possible for an image to be saved...even if you do a screenshot. I just want to make it more difficult for someone to try and steal an image.
    Blake

If the image is that valuable, watermark it.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

tech,

I'm actually trying to do that. I'm looking for a javascript routine that will accomplish this. So if you know one, plz send it to me!
    Blake

googled "add image watermark with javascript" and this was the first thing:

https://www.jqueryscript.net/other/A...watermark.html

untested...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Thanks tech...I actually found this link to and am trying to get it to work as we speak.
    Blake

Quote Originally Posted by blakemckenna View Post
    I'm working on a website that contains a link that when clicked on, will open a new html page loaded with a photo gallery. These photos are small; 300 width x height=auto.

The user may click on an image and from that point, it will open a new Window Tab. What I need to be able to do is protect the images from being downloaded on this new larger sized image Tab. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,
    Just add your brand logo on that. If someone will download that he or she will get your logo too.