Thread: VB6 APP on a Cloud Server

Thumbs up VB6 APP on a Cloud Server

I have been able to install my VB6 App on an Azure Cloud server because some of our clients have been keen on having an "online" server as against a stand alone peculiar with VB6.
    Now i need to allow about 15 users or more of each clients access the server and work on the APP but seriously having constraints on the cost of each user license of Microsoft RDP.
    Is there any efficient other way / technology for these clients to be able to access this "cloud server" and use the software on their systems without me having to create a login for each of them on RDP ?
    In some clients office, we have 15 users using this software at the same time and in some we could have up to 25 users. They cannot afford the cost for RDP license for each user at all but i am relying on this method of installing the VB6 app on the cloud server to solve the issues we have been having with clients who have been asking for the online version of our VB6 app just because they want to be able to login to the software anywhere and at anytime.
    I will appreciate all the help i can get on this.

Hyperactive Member

Re: VB6 APP on a Cloud Server

Quote Originally Posted by Tobyy View Post
    I have been able to install my VB6 App on an Azure Cloud server because some of our clients have been keen on having an "online" server as against a stand alone peculiar with VB6.
    Now i need to allow about 15 users or more of each clients access the server and work on the APP but seriously having constraints on the cost of each user license of Microsoft RDP.
    Is there any efficient other way / technology for these clients to be able to access this "cloud server" and use the software on their systems without me having to create a login for each of them on RDP ?
    In some clients office, we have 15 users using this software at the same time and in some we could have up to 25 users. They cannot afford the cost for RDP license for each user at all but i am relying on this method of installing the VB6 app on the cloud server to solve the issues we have been having with clients who have been asking for the online version of our VB6 app just because they want to be able to login to the software anywhere and at anytime.
    I will appreciate all the help i can get on this.
    take a look at rdpwrap

you might also consider just installing the program on their desktops and teaching them how to remote in with teamviewer\anydesk\rdc etc. Then all of their apps are available anywhere, not just yours.

Quote Originally Posted by DllHell View Post
    take a look at rdpwrap

you might also consider just installing the program on their desktops and teaching them how to remote in with teamviewer\anydesk\rdc etc. Then all of their apps are available anywhere, not just yours.
    Thanks so much for the response. I will be looking at rdpwrap immediately and get back on what i find. Meanwhile, how does installing it on their desktops and using teamviewer solves their problems ?

The model we use is install the VB6 app on a server and then we send shortcut of the Application EXE to each user desktop's. So if 20 users are to the Application, we install the APP and the database on the server and then all the 20 users access the application via the shortcut sent to their desktops.

Now that i have installed that same APP on the cloud server, sending the shortcut from a cloud server to a local system is not effective because the APP is verrrrrrrry slow. Thats why i need the users now to access the application from the server directly, but using remote desktop (RDP) for these 20 users or more is too expensive.

PowerPoster

Not sure what you are looking for from the standpoint of VB6 here.

If your clients won't/can't pay the price for using the remotely hosted environment that you set up for them, then that sounds like the cart was put before the horse somewhere along the line.

Trying to backdoor your way into a hosting environment in a way that skirts licensing/user fees is not something that your host will look kindly on. And I say that speaking as someone who worked for many years at a company that had been doing full desktop application hosting via RDP long before the term cloud computing even existed.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tobyy View Post
    Thanks so much for the response. I will be looking at rdpwrap immediately and get back on what i find. Meanwhile, how does installing it on their desktops and using teamviewer solves their problems ?

The model we use is install the VB6 app on a server and then we send shortcut of the Application EXE to each user desktop's. So if 20 users are to the Application, we install the APP and the database on the server and then all the 20 users access the application via the shortcut sent to their desktops.

Now that i have installed that same APP on the cloud server, sending the shortcut from a cloud server to a local system is not effective because the APP is verrrrrrrry slow. Thats why i need the users now to access the application from the server directly, but using remote desktop (RDP) for these 20 users or more is too expensive.
    If the goal is to be able to access the app from anywhere, the users can simply remote into their desktops and use the app, or any other app, on their pc. It seems like a no-brainer first step. You would still have to keep the local db server and you woundn't use any cloud computers.

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    Not sure what you are looking for from the standpoint of VB6 here.

If your clients won't/can't pay the price for using the remotely hosted environment that you set up for them, then that sounds like the cart was put before the horse somewhere along the line.

Trying to backdoor your way into a hosting environment in a way that skirts licensing/user fees is not something that your host will look kindly on. And I say that speaking as someone who worked for many years at a company that had been doing full desktop application hosting via RDP long before the term cloud computing even existed.
    The VB6 APP is already installed on the Azure server and we are already paying for the hosting. But i want users to be able to access the app and use the app like they used to when server was on LAN and thats why i need a solution that can work for these clients if they cannot afford the high cost of RDP license.

Quote Originally Posted by DllHell View Post
    If the goal is to be able to access the app from anywhere, the users can simply remote into their desktops and use the app, or any other app, on their pc. It seems like a no-brainer first step. You would still have to keep the local db server and you woundn't use any cloud computers.
    Oh, i understand what you mean. I live in a 3rd world country where electricity is available on an average of 4 hours every day. Keeping their local system on 24/7 as required would mean having it on inverters and that is very expensive. Thats why we have the APP on a cloud server where it is guaranteed to be online always and they can login to APP any day and any time.
    But having all the 20 users to access the APP on cloud server using RDP now is the next big challenge.