Thread: Internet Distribution Site For VB6 Project

Lively Member

Internet Distribution Site For VB6 Project

I am nearing completion of a VB6 Project in the form of a Family Tree. I have distributed it to several family members across the United States for testing purposes, analyzing their feedback, making revisions, redistributing, etc. The distribution media is currently in the form of a CD which I then mail to each and every individual. The CD contains Setup.exe as well as all supporting Files and documentation, and is self sufficient. This is fine for now, but obviously is very time consuming and not very efficient. In the near future, the project will need to be distributed, again to family members across the country. How can I go about distributing this Application through an Internet Distribution Site, Web Page, etc. The Program itself is very solid and no problems have been encountered with the Installations. Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

PowerPoster

Re: Internet Distribution Site For VB6 Project

You could put the files in Google Drive or Dropbox and send the links by email.

If you want to make something more professional set up a web site.

And if even more professional, buy a domain name.

Lively Member

You could put the files in Google Drive or Dropbox and send the links by email.
    Thank you for such a swift Reply, Edwardo. Right now I like Option# 1 since I do have a Google Account.
    1) Would everyone wanting to Download the Files need to have a Google Account?
    2) Would the basic Files, in my case: Setup.exe, Setup.lst, <Project_Name>.cab, ReadMe.txt, and the Support Folder simply be copied to a Folder in Google Drive? At that point would Setup.exe simply be executed from the Google Drive Folder?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by ADezii View Post
    1) Would everyone wanting to Download the Files need to have a Google Account?
    No.

2) Would the basic Files, in my case: Setup.exe, Setup.lst, <Project_Name>.cab, ReadMe.txt, and the Support Folder simply be copied to a Folder in Google Drive?
    You should zip all the files into one zip.
    Then the users will have to download and unzip it.
    Other option would be to make the installer into one only exe file, but that would take some further work.

At that point would Setup.exe simply be executed from the Google Drive Folder?
    No, they need to download the file first.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    No.

You should zip all the files into one zip.
    Then the users will have to download and unzip it.
    Other option would be to make the installer into one only exe file, but that would take some further work.

No, they need to download the file first.
    Thanks again, but I think I may be back to square one with this. Most of the people who would be Installing this Program would be middle age to elderly with very little or non-existent Computer skills. Getting them to locate the CD-Rom Drive, insert the CD, navigate to the CD-Rom Drive, then execute Setup.exe, is a task in and of itself. Navigating to the Google Drive, downloading a *.Zip File to a Folder on their HD, unzipping it, then opening Setup.exe would be difficult to say the least. Back to the drawing board.

PowerPoster

Thanks again, but I think I may be back to square one with this. Most of the people who would be Installing this Program would be middle age to elderly with very little or non-existent Computer skills. Getting them to locate the CD-Rom Drive, insert the CD, navigate to the CD-Rom Drive, then execute Setup.exe, is a task in and of itself. Navigating to the Google Drive, downloading a *.Zip File to a Folder on their HD, unzipping it, then opening Setup.exe would be difficult to say the least. Back to the drawing board.
    It's actually pretty simple. the email would have a link to the download site or directly to the file. they click on the file to download, when finished the browser should ask if they want to open the file so they do and then click setup. Should be much simpler than using a cd, not to mention cheaper and faster. It is basically just a few mouse clicks and if need be you can give detailed instructions in the email with the link.

The Idiot

if its an update, u can create a "update.patch.12.exe" that would do a registry or file search to allocate where they installed it, and from there update the files.
    u can make the program to be elevation aware, and if needed, reload it with elevation.
    so, the elderly only need to download and run the file and nothing else.

Google also has a nice place where you can setup your own webpages. After you've logged into your Google account, start at: https://sites.google.com/new

It places the webpages in your Google Drive, but that's all transparent to the user. And that's all free.

Alternatively, you can setup your own domain through a service like GoDaddy. They're who I use. They can handle your domain name registration as well as do your hosting. I just pay for their basic services. It costs me about $18/year to keep a .COM site registered, and about $95/year for a minimum hosting site. I'm not sure what the server space and bandwidth allowances are that I get, but they're more than I'd ever use.

I've also got a NAS box that has server abilities on it (that I actually use). But my upload bandwidth through my ISP isn't that great (which would be the "download" for anyone grabbing stuff from the site), so the GoDaddy hosting works out better for my primary work.

----------

Also, and I know there will be diverging opinions about this, and it also depends on what all is in your project, but I'd recommend trying to make your project "portable" (i.e., no required installation). With Krool's controls just wrapped into your project, and possibly an empty database file you grab out of your resources, it's just not that difficult. Just a thought. But, if it were portable, they could stick the whole thing on a memory stick, and carry it around and show people anywhere/anytime.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

I use godaddy as well and generally just send a direct link to the file via email. All the end user has to do is click on the link and they get the option to download the zip.

Lively Member

Thanks to all for the great ideas that you have given me. I will have to implement a Hybrid approach using CD Distribution along with Internet Distribution since, as previously stated, many of my End Users will have no concept of what a Browser even is. For those with limited on no understanding of computers it will be a simple matter of: insert CD, navigate to drive, dbl-click Setup.exe. For the more experienced, you guys have given me several great options. I`'ll keep in touch and thanks again.

Lively Member

Just an update, I went with Eduardo's idea, namely Google Drive (Thanks again) as far as an Internet Distribution Site goes. My needs are simplistic, I simply need an alternate method for individuals to download the Installation Files via a Link to a *.zip File. For those who are not 'computer savvy', I'll ship an Installation CD. There is no need for collaboration, development, synchronizing updates, etc. which made me think that the other options were an overkill. In my specific context, I felt that a Link to the Installation Zip File on Google Drive seemed appropriate.