Thread: Strange Windows update that included BIOS recovery

Fanatic Member

Strange Windows update that included BIOS recovery

Since a few days ago an icon had appeared in my sys-tray that (when I hovered my mouse over it) advised that my computer needed to restart to update Windows.

Today, I was working with my computer when I had to go somewhere nearby. So, I walked away and didn't even lock my computer.
    When I returned 20 minutes later, I noticed that my computer was restarting which was very strange because I thought it would install the updates at an inactive time (overnight).
    But, now it was restarting at around 7 PM which is very unusual.

I had to walk away from my computer again.
    This time I was back in 10 minutes.
    This time a very bizarre message was on the screen. Something like this: "BIOS recovery in progress. Do not shut down your computer, ..." and a progress bar that was at 54%.

Then once more I had to walk away, and after two minutes when I was coming back to my computer, I heard the Windows start tone, and it showed the pre-login page.
    I pressed a key, and the login page came on.
    I logged on to my computer and everything looks fine.

All my files are in place.
    Applications work fine, and there is nothing out of the ordinary.

But, the question remains:
    What was going on?
    Why was there a BIOS recovery?

And does Windows even have the kind of access to modify the BIOS (for example during Windows update)?
    BIOS is not part of Windows. So, how can a Windows update, do anything to BIOS?

Any help on this will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Re: Strange Windows update that included BIOS recovery

Was this actually initiated by a Microsoft Windows update - or by the computer supplier initiated update? I sometimes get a supplier message box saying that updates are available for my computer - which includes drivers and bios updates etc.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Was this actually initiated by a Microsoft Windows update - or by the computer supplier initiated update? I sometimes get a supplier message box saying that updates are available for my computer - which includes drivers and bios updates etc.
    How can I figure that out?
    It happened yesterday at 7 PM

Now, when I go to Settings -> Update and Security, it says "You are up to date. Last checked Today at 9:52 AM"
    And at that time (Today at 9:52 AM) I was not home, and when I came home later it did not appear to have rebooted my computer this morning.

Please advise.
    Thanks.

Sinecure devotee

Last checked, doesn't mean last updated.
    It could have checked at 9:52 to see if there were any updates needed and there were none.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

King of sapila

We have found a Microsoft - I better had a virus that this one, update in the company that crashed several PC's, well all where Laptops to be exact .
    I think is either 1040 or 1020 ? Something in these numbering's . If you have that one then you shouldn't and MS pulled a fast one on you because this update is not to be automatically run.
    Let me know.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Banned

We in the company had similar problems with automatic updates of Windows. We had to restore data on several computers using Partition Recovery. After that, we installed the corporate version of Windows 10, in which you can disable OS auto-update.
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Sep 27th, 2021 at 06:11 AM.

BIOS updates can be done FROM within Windows.

The other good news is that Microsoft DO NOT write code for hardware related updates.... They do on the other hand test them.

EDIT: I just now noticed how old this thread it.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.