Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Re PlanetSourceCode

Re: Re PlanetSourceCode

Hi Shaggy, yeah, that's right, but that's only the "description" of things, and not any actual source code.

---------

Ahhh, I mis-read your last post. Well, I tried GitLab, and they had a 1GB limit. I didn't try GitHub.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

I'm gonna work on a routine to see how many EXEs, DLLs, & OCXs we're actually talking about.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Hmmm, it's not too bad. I might go through and just delete them.

Shaggy, if you're looking in, anything besides EXEs, DLLs, & OCXs I need to be thinking about?

Here's what I found:

Code:
    AntiVirus2004(3-0)\Secure\Kopie von codered.exe Antivirus_1711292202004.zip
    Frac2_Final\MYTERR2.EXE       A_3D_fract18203911202004.zip
    btms.dll      Banks_Tran1792759122004.zip
    mvbMath.dll    Blank_Engi2067755272007.zip
    Tools\BE Script\BEScript.exe   Blank_Engi2067755272007.zip
    Tools\BPF Maker\BPFmaker.exe   Blank_Engi2067755272007.zip
    Tools\ResPacker\ResMaker.exe   Blank_Engi2067755272007.zip
    cEdit\grx\icons\cEdit1.exe     cEdit189552612005.zip
    programmeren\Projecten\Proef\treeview\Treeview.exe            CODE_UPLOAD104521052000.zip
    Gif89.dll      CODE_UPLOAD41483222000.zip
    radcfg.exe     CODE_UPLOAD5413522000.zip
    PORT.DLL      COMplotter1627268102003.zip
    clinica\clinica.exe          consultori198466422006.zip
    clinica\CONSULTORIO.exe       consultori198466422006.zip
    clinica\pplus_us.exe         consultori198466422006.zip
    setupformdesigner.exe        Formdesign168943122004.zip
    process memory usage\RAM_usage.exe           Get_proces198451412006.zip
    Client\Tools\Rar.exe         Handle-X_T187133432005.zip
    Client\Tools\UnRAR.exe        Handle-X_T187133432005.zip
    Vnspeech.dll   Lite_PAd178855912004.zip
    Petrol+Mgt+Sys\res\pd01.dll    Petrol_and1845971312005.zip
    Petrol+Mgt+Sys\res\pd02.dll    Petrol_and1845971312005.zip
    Petrol+Mgt+Sys\res\pd03.dll    Petrol_and1845971312005.zip
    Petrol+Mgt+Sys\res\shiftDe01.dllPetrol_and1845971312005.zip
    Petrol+Mgt+Sys\res\shiftDe02.dllPetrol_and1845971312005.zip
    Petrol+Mgt+Sys\res\shiftDe03.dllPetrol_and1845971312005.zip
    wizard\about.exeProduct_Ac1785808252004.zip
    Transport Automation System 1.0\configtas.dll   Transport_18194311182004.zip
    Transport Automation System 1.0\tasconfig.dll   Transport_18194311182004.zip
    XP Title.ocx   xp_style113406812002.zip
    Professional Address Book\Professional Address Book\Niro Address Book.exe      [_Address_1857562252005.zip
    ---------------------

EDIT: I saw an OCA file, so I added those to the list too.
    Last edited by Elroy; Sep 6th, 2020 at 12:37 PM.

Ok, I've purged all these file types from the ZIP files:

EXE
    DLL
    OCX
    OCA
    OBJ
    EX_
    OC_
    DL_

From staring at quite a few of the ZIP files, they all pretty much seem like source code now. I'm uploading the new Zip-of-the-Zip files now to Google Drive.

Shaggy, do you think it'd be ok to edit my post #110 and put the link back in? I won't do that until I get your approval.

Also, once you approve it, it makes sense to me to put a thread in the codebank about this as well.

Best Regards,
    Elroy

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    ... anything besides EXEs, DLLs, & OCXs I need to be thinking about?
    Maybe .vbw files? Technically, not having these can prevent malicious UCs from activating as soon as the project loads. How? Let's say some UC does stuff at startup. It can't activate if it's not displayed and the vbw file may be telling VB to display the form that that UC exists on. Just a thought. Above said, doesn't stop someone from displaying the form manually after VB loads the project. But whether paranoid or not, it's commonsense to scan code pages before playing with other people's code. For example, maybe they are writing to the registry and you don't want that.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Maybe .vbw files? Technically, not having these can prevent malicious UCs from activating as soon as the project loads. How? Let's say some UC does stuff at startup. It can't activate if it's not displayed and the vbw file may be telling VB to display the form that that UC exists on. Just a thought. Above said, doesn't stop someone from displaying the form manually after VB loads the project. But whether paranoid or not, it's commonsense to scan code pages before playing with other people's code. For example, maybe they are writing to the registry and you don't want that.
    Argh, I saw quite a few of those ... and wasn't worrying about them. I'll take a look though.

EDIT: Argh again ... there are 7,615 of the things. I was more-or-less manually deleting the other things, as they were a manageable number. However, I'm not going through and manually deleting 7,615 vbw files. I'll work on how to automate it.
    Last edited by Elroy; Sep 6th, 2020 at 04:03 PM.

However, I'm not going through and manually deleting 7,615 vbw files. I'll work on how to automate it.
    That many? When I was a member of PSC, those used to be stripped out for the specific reason of helping prevent malicious code at project load. Looks like their policy or stripping routines stopped doing that. I'm not sure how many projects were uploaded to PSC over the years, but I'd imagine significantly more than 7.6k

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Well, from what I've got, I've got 13,852 separate projects. So, about half of them still have their VBW files in them.

If there are more PSC projects, I've got no idea how to get them.

Ok, I took a look and I'm probably going to draw the line at these VBW files. Short of unzipping each file, deleting the VBW file(s), and then re-zipping, I don't have any code to directly delete files from ZIP files. I took a look at Wqweto's interface to the 7Zip library, and even that doesn't show an API call for deleting a specific file within a ZIP file.

LaVolpe, if you know of any clean code to do this, I'll take a look at it though. Short of that, I think I'm done, having deleted everything that's a clear binary (see list in post #124).

Also, just as an argument to be allowed to post this here, many of the ZIPs attached around here have VBW files. Not saying it's good ... just saying it.

LaVolpe, if you know of any clean code to do this, I'll take a look at it though. Short of that, I think I'm done, having deleted everything that's a clear binary (see list in post #124).

Also, just as an argument to be allowed to post this here, many of the ZIPs attached around here have VBW files. Not saying it's good ... just saying it.
    Nope, not familiar with any such code to do what you are asking. And regarding the vbw files... the only reason I am even aware of the potential for malicious code being activated just because that file exists, was from PSC. They explained why those were being stripped. As for those existing in tons of zips; no doubt, Even in stuff I zip up at times as I don't remember to exclude it all times. If it could be done easily, it's just a plus. Hopefully most people actually do scan sample projects before blindly hitting Ctrl+F5. As a matter of habit, I always exclude .vbw files when unzipping downloads.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Sep 6th, 2020 at 04:55 PM.

PowerPoster

But... the *.vbw can't execute any code, they just set what code windows are opened, but the code windows don't execute code. It is the forms and UserControls designer windows that can execute code, but not the code windows.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

do you think it'd be ok to edit my post #110 and put the link back in?
    Just want to double check (because I haven't read through the whole thread) you've removed all the compiled elements, right? If so, yeah, go ahead and add your link back in. Our rules are really all about avoiding compiled code so it sound's like you've covered that.

The only thing I'd add, now that you've removed all the exes etc, is it small enough to upload direct to VBF? If so it's a bit better if you do so but if it's still too large then go ahead and link it.

Another thing you might want to consider is whether this is suitable to go in the Utilities section. We do allow compiled code in there (as long as it's got the associated source along side it) but specify that users download it at their own risk.

Finally, I just want to say hats off to you for going to such lengths to honour both the word and the spirit of our rules at the same time as going out of your way to make available something that others want. I'm genuinely quite taken aback by that.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Fanatic Member

Why not creating a special folder on VBForums called PSC, where to upload all code with their desriptions?

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    But... the *.vbw can't execute any code, they just set what code windows are opened, but the code windows don't execute code. It is the forms and UserControls designer windows that can execute code, but not the code windows.
    True. The vbw file tells VB which forms and code pages to display when the project starts up. When a form loads in the IDE with a usercontrol on it, the usercontrol executes code. So in a sense, the vbw file is activating the usercontrol in that scenario. And without the vbw, that form would not be displayed when the project loaded.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Why not creating a special folder on VBForums called PSC, where to upload all code with their desriptions?
    I think you're basically describing the Utilities section. It's not limited to PlanetSourceCode but it is a place where users can upload useful utilities they want to offer up to the community and we do allow compiled elements in there, (though we do ask that the source is also made available).

If I've missed the point of your suggestion then I'd suggest starting up a thread in the forum feedback section.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

True. The vbw file tells VB which forms and code pages to display when the project starts up. When a form loads in the IDE with a usercontrol on it, the usercontrol executes code. So in a sense, the vbw file is activating the usercontrol in that scenario. And without the vbw, that form would not be displayed when the project loaded.
    For me it only loads code pages, but not forms.

For me it only loads code pages, but not forms.
    Now, I can't tell you what combination of actions within the IDE sets the values in the vbw file the way it does. VB options has an effect? Service Pack has an effect? Don't know.

If you want to have a form show up in design when you load a project, try this for proof of concept.
    - With NotePad open any VBW for any unloaded project with forms
    - inside the vbw file, you should see one or more forms listed
    - pick one or two and remove the "C" at the end of the line, but leave the trailing comma
    Code:
    frmRenumber = 234, 234, 682, 871, C, 156, 156, 604, 793, C
    -- after change
    frmRenumber = 234, 234, 682, 871, C, 156, 156, 604, 793,
    - save the vbw file
    - now reopen the project; the form should be in design-view

Again, I don't know how VB writes that file. But I think any character other than C shows the form. C = CodePage? A long time ago, I scanned lots of vbw files out of curiosity. The most common characters I saw at the end of those lines were C, Z, and nothing/space.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Sep 7th, 2020 at 10:31 AM.

PowerPoster

Yes, you are right, removing the last C it loads the form.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I think you're basically describing the Utilities section. It's not limited to PlanetSourceCode but it is a place where users can upload useful utilities they want to offer up to the community and we do allow compiled elements in there, (though we do ask that the source is also made available).

If I've missed the point of your suggestion then I'd suggest starting up a thread in the forum feedback section.
    I know that, but it is to split with real utilities section, with PSC in order to avoid to be a totally junk part. (PSC has a lot of junk sources)
    Or a sub folder

Yes, you are right, removing the last C it loads the form.
    Maybe VB saw this a security issue and some service pack defaulted to C? I would have to scan all my vbw files to find one that doesn't have a trailing C, but I know I've seen them. But even if it was fixed in a service pack, then why does the SP6 allow it to be displayed when no C? In any case, this is how someone with malicious intent can cause damage, especially if we ran our IDE elevated, thus giving the UC code full admin privileges.

PowerPoster

Yes, they could execute anything by doing that. It is a dangerous thing.

PowerPoster

Here is a test.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes, they could execute anything by doing that. It is a dangerous thing.
    Simple solution, after downloading projects, extract everything but the vbw file. If you extracted it, then delete it afterwards. And of course, visually scan code and never run unknown source projects elevated until you have scanned it.

Paranoia? Not really, I personally dislike code writing to the registry, especially via APIs (until I understand why). So, I tend to look for that stuff. At least most on this site would never intentionally upload malicious code; it's the unintentional oops-code that maybe people should worry about.

Edited: For you VB add-in authors, maybe this is something you may want to consider -- prevent anything but code pages being displayed when projects are opened within the IDE? I know I'd use it.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Sep 7th, 2020 at 12:07 PM.

Ok, I'm assembling a CodeBank entry with a link to the further cleaned PSC files.

This is the link, but I'm still getting it together.

Also, LaVolpe, I'll put a note in the CodeBank post about the VBW files, and also visually scanning the code. Actually, that goes for any code we download.

Also, LaVolpe, I'll put a note in the CodeBank post about the VBW files, and also visually scanning the code. Actually, that goes for any code we download.
    Unless I uploaded it

Unless I uploaded it
    Especially if he uploaded it.

hahaha, actually, when running through the ZIPs, I did notice a whole section that was prefaced with LaVolpe....

hahaha, actually, when running through the ZIPs, I did notice a whole section that was prefaced with LaVolpe....
    Almost wish you can delete 80% of that stuff -- I was such a novice for the first few years, trying to tackle all sorts of things at once. Only later on when I settled down to focus on tackling one topic at a time, did I become a better writer. In other words, lots of that code would probably make me embarrassed to see it potentially used/referenced today.

Almost wish you can delete 80% of that stuff -- I was such a novice for the first few years, trying to tackle all sorts of things at once. Only later on when I settled down to focus on tackling one topic at a time, did I become a better writer. In other words, lots of that code would probably make me embarrassed to see it potentially used/referenced today.
    hahaha, nahhh, it's there for eternity for all the world to see.

hahaha, nahhh, it's there for eternity for all the world to see.
    PSC being a humbling experience in 2020 for all of the "authors" in there :-))

Btw, Elroy, did you have any trouble "decrypting" the ZIP files or was it as simple as XOR'ing with &HFF?

cheers,
    </wqw>

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    PSC being a humbling experience in 2020 for all of the "authors" in there :-))
    In PSC's prime, VB6 not on the chopping block, so many members, few rules for what was posted, tons of feedback, great place to cut one's teeth. But also lots of junk code, half-thought out stuff, few gems. But there were coders there that were very experienced and shared without hesitation. I learned so much from many of them.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Sep 7th, 2020 at 02:51 PM.

In PSC's prime, VB6 not on the chopping block, so many members, few rules for what was posted, tons of feedback, great place to cut one's teeth. But also lots of junk code, half-thought out stuff, few gems. But there were coders there that were very experienced and shared without hesitation. I learned so much from many of them.
    True!

My first submission was Hyperlink Sample (one API function used:-). The unintended twist was that the sample link opened the default browser and voted 5 for the very submission with no user intervention. Needless to say this easily won the monthly contest and forced PSC to change voting page to POST requests. . .

Those glory days! :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

Btw, Elroy, did you have any trouble "decrypting" the ZIP files or was it as simple as XOR'ing with &HFF?
    Well, I managed to get a-hold of that Decode PSC File.exe utility and just started by decoding a couple of them. The first thing I noticed was that the PCS files were the same size as the ZIP files. So, I pulled them up in a hex editor and set them side-by-side. The beginning of the hex files were the same. However, once you scrolled down, it was completely different. I thought about staring at it long enough to figure out what was going on, but then decided to just write a program to "automate" that little Decode PSC File.exe program, and that's what I did.

Just lots of FindWindow, LockSetForegroundWindow, SetForegroundWindow, SendInput, etc, etc. But I already had that stuff, and I've done it several times before.

It tied up my computer for about 6 hours. But, once I got it all stable, I just let it run overnight.

-------

I used your cls_Gen_Unzip (I may have renamed it) class to unzip the files. The class with the Init, Count, Unzip, FileName, etc. Friend methods. Once they were converted to ZIP files, your class worked perfectly.

EDIT: I needed to unzip them to get the title and description out of the @PSC_???.txt internal file. Also, I used your class to search (and delete) all those EXE etc files. I actually had to do the deletions manually (using a combination of 7Zip and Windows Explorer).

Fanatic Member

... Btw, Elroy, did you have any trouble "decrypting" the ZIP files or was it as simple as XOR'ing with &HFF?
    cheers,
    </wqw>
    PSC files encryption is a bit nasty as some files are not fully encrypted but only some sections of the ZIP (local file header, central directory file header, end central directory record) could be encrypted. Repairing these partly encrypted archives will result in lost files. Same happens if just ignore the errors during extracting.

I've made a tool (VB.NET) to analyze and decrypt sections but there is a problem when the starting for the file sections are not encrypted but the next sections are (encrypted). The result ZIP file cannot be fully extracted due to some errors (depends on the archiver what message is returned). If all ZIP sections are encrypted the result archive is extracted successfully.

Probably it is few bad bytes but I will check it next days. After that I will publish the source of the tool.

BTW my idea is to have project that will transfer all PSC ISOs projects (contributions) to repositories in centralized Git organization like GitHub, GitLab, Gitea, Gogs and others. Currently I am planning to use Gitea API to create repos as Gitea is very easy to self-host for testing the process.

Edit: Forgot to mention that only one file is not extracted from the partially encrypted archives. So it is really few bad bytes error.
    Last edited by peterst; Sep 7th, 2020 at 03:47 PM.

http://free.bgbiz.com/pscode/AllThePscZipFiles/

I'll keep the submissions ZIP files online until I figure out how to upload each source code as separate repo to github with proper README with original image and every other info from the mdb file. Biggest problem will be how to recreate votes on PSC as stars on github, next to probably hundreds of fake accounts :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

Quote Originally Posted by peterst View Post
    Probably it is few bad bytes but I will check it next days. After that I will publish the source of the tool.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by peterst View Post
    BTW my idea is to have project that will transfer all PSC ISOs projects (contributions) to repositories in centralized Git organization like GitHub, GitLab, Gitea, Gogs and others. Currently I am planning to use Gitea API to create repos as Gitea is very easy to self-host for testing the process.
    There is an org on github already: https://github.com/Planet-Source-Code

Let me know if you need access.

I'll be using Elroy's effort to extract each submission into a repo under PSC org on github w/ proper README in markdown w/ images and more info.

Coming up with repo names is the first problem. Have to strip junk from project title/description and come up with 2-4 meaningful words while preventing duplicate names.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Fanatic Member

I'll be using Elroy's effort to extract each submission into a repo under PSC org on github w/ proper README in markdown w/ images and more info.

Coming up with repo names is the first problem. Have to strip junk from project description and come up with 2-4 meaningful words while preventing duplicate names.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    These are some of the steps my project is planned to have. Here is my list:
    • Decrypt and extract projects from each CD to own directory
    • Copy in properly named directory each project
    • Remove unnecessary or dangerous files (exe, ocx, etc. - configurable in configuration file)
    • For each project create README.md from existing readme file and all other required files like .gitignore
    • Create copy of each project in separate directory where Git repositories will be initialized
    • Connect to Gitea via API and for each project create new repository, initialize local git repo and perform initial commit

Just as a further FYI, there were about 10 of those PCS/ZIP files that didn't have a @PCS_ReadMe_????.txt file within them. For consistency, I created one that basically said...

Title: unknown
    Description: unknown
    ...and threw that into the PCS/ZIP files where it was missing. It was truly only a small handful though.

Yes, proper .gitignore and .gitattributes must be created for any VB repo.

Existing @PSC_ReadMe_Xxxx.txt file is not very useful/complete but the PscEnc.mdb database contains the full description as last edited by the original author.

You don't need gogs/gitea API at all. Just register a remote then push local repo to it using git.exe. You can later "expose" the remote under gogs/gitea frontend for browsing.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Yes, proper .gitignore and .gitattributes must be created for any VB repo.

Existing @PSC_ReadMe_Xxxx.txt file is not very useful/complete but the PscEnc.mdb database contains the full description as last edited by the original author.

You don't need gogs/gitea API at all. Just register a remote then push local repo to it using git.exe. You can later "expose" the remote under gogs/gitea frontend for browsing.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    Well, I think I'm done with my part. Anyone/everyone is totally welcome to take what I've done and do with it whatever they like.

Best Regards,
    Elroy

Fanatic Member

Creating remote repo in organization requires use of API. Having thousands of projects will require thousands of repos. That's what I am thinking of the process steps.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast