Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Re PlanetSourceCode

Re: Re PlanetSourceCode

I've converted the first 5900 zip files, and will be uploading this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by FortyPoundHead View Post
    Which CDs are these from?

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Which CDs are these from?
    That's the batch from the 2002 CD. Note that it's a mishmash of different languages.

I'll be proceeding with the rest of the disks tonight.

Upload in progress for the first batch!

Attachment 178577

Hyperactive Member

What program did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Argus19 View Post
    What program did you use?
    I ended up writing a stupid sendkeys to feed keystrokes and clicks to the PSC program. Sorry, just couldn't trust your EXEs.

If you would just share the source code, or even just the de-XOR part...

First batch uploaded. With the copy/paste posts, that brings the total up to 7,995 VB6 posts, with full source code.

For this first batch, there are 219 zips that didn't make it, and those posts have been hidden on-site. I'll have to manually chase down those oddballs, but when I find them, I'll upload them as well.

Any questions, comments, concerns, bitches, complaints, whatever, drop me a message either via PM here, or through the contact form on the site.

Hi Bobbles,

Can I have the "Google Drive" download link please?

Much appreciated.

Hyperactive Member

Hi FortyPoundHead.
    Just to confirm, is this the PSC code url https://www.fortypoundhead.com/browse.asp?catid=122
    or is there another link to get the uploaded code. tks

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by mohmag View Post
    Hi Bobbles,

Can I have the "Google Drive" download link please?

Much appreciated.
    Hello, it is on post #76.

Quote Originally Posted by k_zeon View Post
    Hi FortyPoundHead.
    Just to confirm, is this the PSC code url https://www.fortypoundhead.com/browse.asp?catid=122
    or is there another link to get the uploaded code. tks
    Yes, that is the link for the "VB Code Cache".

PowerPoster

I can't see any PSC project there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    I can't see any PSC project there.
    There are 1,191 pages of posts. The first 64 or so are either posted by site members, or archived from no-longer-operational sites. This link (from the tutorial page) will give you an alphabetical listing, if you prefer that.

As mentioned on the front page, the search field on the top line is your friend. However, if you have a suggestion as to a better method to browse the library, let me know, and I'll do what I can to implement it.

PowerPoster

OK, it seems to work fine.

An observation (just to suggest an improvement): I think you should strip out from the indexed words parentheses (and maybe other punctuation marks too).
    I tested searching for Screen Saver to see if "(Screen Saver) diffuseGravity" appeared in the results and it didn't.

But I don't know how they are indexed because searching for "Saver)" it appears, but for "(Screen" it doesn't. Still, "(Screen Saver" does.

OK, it seems to work fine.

An observation (just to suggest an improvement): I think you should strip out from the indexed words parentheses (and maybe other punctuation marks too).
    I tested searching for Screen Saver to see if "(Screen Saver) diffuseGravity" appeared in the results and it didn't.

But I don't know how they are indexed because searching for "Saver)" it appears, but for "(Screen" it doesn't. Still, "(Screen Saver" does.
    Thank you for the input; constructive and informative. I'll get to work on it this afternoon.

PowerPoster

I like the site design, and the search is fast. It seems better than the original.

You'll have to find a way to control spam in the comments, if you don't already have one, I think.

I like the site design, and the search is fast. It seems better than the original.

You'll have to find a way to control spam in the comments, if you don't already have one, I think.
    Thank you for the kind words. I am always looking for ways to improve things, so let me know if you find anything that you don't like, either here in a PM, or through the contact form on the website.

As far as the comments go, all comments are moderated. You'd be amazed at the number of replica watch BS comments I get in there.

you sir, are a prince

I failed to follow the thread (work...) and found them on webarchive already (there's a reddit about data hoarding, found them there), but just wanted to say a huge "thank you" to yoiu sir, an unsung hero

really, thanks. The more live link we get the better. They're going to my personal archive anyways

as for viewing them, i'm using the original tool (it's bad...) with the .mdb value hack for now

PowerPoster

Thank you for the kind words. I am always looking for ways to improve things, so let me know if you find anything that you don't like, either here in a PM, or through the contact form on the website.

As far as the comments go, all comments are moderated. You'd be amazed at the number of replica watch BS comments I get in there.
    Yes, sure.

Frenzied Member

Hi FortyPoundHead,

A few hours ago, I opened the link www.FortyPoundHead.com from my computer, and the browser popped up a message saying that I was attacking your website and my IP address was banned.

I'd like to know why this happens? Is there a "false alarm" in your website defense system? Looking forward for your response, thanks.

Best wishes
    SDO

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    Hi FortyPoundHead,

A few hours ago, I opened the link www.FortyPoundHead.com from my computer, and the browser popped up a message saying that I was attacking your website and my IP address was banned.

I'd like to know why this happens? Is there a "false alarm" in your website defense system? Looking forward for your response, thanks.

Best wishes
    SDO
    Edit: never mind sending me your IP address. I was able to comb the logs and find you. Part of the Gatekeeper is blocking known "bad neighborhoods". The netblock you were accessing from is one of those. However, I removed the netblock from the list, as well as removed your IP address from the ban list. You should be able to get there now.

Just for knowledge, there are a series of scripts that I call GateKeeper that monitor traffic in the site. Sometimes the script scores a visit to highly, and bans the IP address. The user is presented with a message, and a remediation method. BUT, unless I have something to key on, like an IP address or general time, I can't see why you were blocked, and how to remediate it.
    Last edited by FortyPoundHead; Sep 4th, 2020 at 02:10 PM.

Hyperactive Member

Hi FortyPoundHead
    Just an idea, could you make it so page 1 is the newest code added and page 1191 is the oldest.
    Similar to the origonal PSC

Would be good to see new code added 1st.

tks

Hi FortyPoundHead
    Just an idea, could you make it so page 1 is the newest code added and page 1191 is the oldest.
    Similar to the origonal PSC

Would be good to see new code added 1st.

tks
    Done. Note that the original PSC database had no "date posted" field, so they all show as the same date (2002-06-01). New posts by users will show up at the top of the list, then get bumped down as more posts get added.
    Last edited by FortyPoundHead; Sep 4th, 2020 at 02:26 PM.

Hyperactive Member

on another note. I have not seen any posts with images in yet. Are they functional yet or do they need to be coded for.

tks

on another note. I have not seen any posts with images in yet. Are they functional yet or do they need to be coded for.

tks
    I have not included any images. The site was designed and built to be high speed with low drag. Images are a huge consumer of bandwidth.

However, you are not the first person to mention it, so I may be throwing the images in there.

Edit: Pictures added for 3,606 posts.
    Last edited by FortyPoundHead; Sep 4th, 2020 at 05:07 PM.

Hyperactive Member

I unpacked .iso 7_2009-2012 with my own program, which for some reason they were afraid to use because of false positives of some antivirus programs and placed it on a google disk:
    <link removed as it contained compiled code>
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Sep 5th, 2020 at 01:28 PM.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Argus19 View Post
    I unpacked .iso 7_2009-2012 with my own program, which for some reason they were afraid to use because of false positives of some antivirus programs and placed it on a google disk:
    Link removed as it contained compiled code
    Thanks for sharing that,
    Rob
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Sep 5th, 2020 at 01:29 PM.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post
    Thanks for sharing that,
    Anyone could do it. I gave the program. The database contains codes in text format without zip files.
    The CD 6_2008-2009 database does not have the same zip file names with CD names. Have you tried installing the disc and working with its viewer?

Ok, here’s my contribution. It’s basically, all the files from all the following CDs:

• 1_2002.ISO
    • 2_2002-2004.ISO
    • 3_2004-2005.ISO
    • 4_2005-2006.ISO
    • 5_2007-2008.ISO
    • 6_2008-2009.ISO
    • 7_2009-2012.ISO

All of the *.PSC files within those were converted to *.ZIP files. About 6 of the PSC files were corrupted and were just skipped.

After all the *.PSC files were converted to *.ZIP files, they were scanned with Windows Defender (latest libraries). About 10 files (EXEs, DLLs, etc) were found with viruses. Those specific
    files (not the entire ZIP) were deleted from the ZIP files. Then, everything was re-scanned and found to be clean.

Link removed pending some internal discussions contains the following files:
    (Ok, I've done further cleaning and received VBForums' approval. Here's the codebank entry for the link to the files.)

1. AllThePscZipFilesZipped.zip – The “clean” set of zip files, 13,852 of them.
    2. ZipFileIndex.tsv – A file with tab-separated columns with one row per file. The 3 columns are zip file name, title (from @PSC file within), description (from @PSC file within).
    3. ZipFileIndex.xlsx – Same as the above but in an Excel format.
    4. Notes.txt– Basically just a reiteration of stuff I've said in this post.

I’ve got no idea if the moderators will leave this link or not, because, in all honesty, there are still executables in the zipped zips. They’ve all been scanned, but I take no responsibility for any of this. Also, where possible, I’d still toss those and recompile with the source code.

And FortyPoundHead, what you’ve done is really nice. This is just another alternative repository.

Best Regards,
    Elroy
    Last edited by Elroy; Sep 7th, 2020 at 12:12 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

How about putting it all on GitHub or GitLab and linking to that? You can set up a free GitLab repo (and possibly GitHub if you are below a certain size...which you might not be). We don't want compiled code in zip files on this site, and have consistently removed them when they were reported....so I guess I have to remove that link...but this is clearly something that is going away unless you preserve it somehow, and also is clearly of considerable interest to this community. GitLab seems like the best option for that within the rules that we've had for a time.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

In addition to .zips, the database contains text information. For example:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well, personally, I took a look at the database, but thought I'd focus on the source code.

I just took a look at GitLab and immediately ran into a size-limitation on the free version. So, I'll just wait to see what the moderators decide regarding this.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

How big are these files? At my job, we just went with GitLab because we wouldn't reach the size limit, though I forget what it was. I thought it pretty large, while GitHub was somewhat smaller, but I wasn't the one doing that research.

The largest file, which is just a zip of the ~13,000 zip files is 2.29 GB (2,467,143,680 bytes).

EDIT: And that's really the only file that matters. I've also got two other files which are just TSV and XLSX files that serve as indexes to the ~13,000 files.

EDIT2: Just as an FYI, Windows Defender definitely scans within ZIP files. And, before I zipped them all together (leaving them as ~13,000 individual ZIP files), I scanned them and they came back clean (after some clean-up).
    Last edited by Elroy; Sep 5th, 2020 at 07:24 PM.

Shaggy, I'm just brainstorming here, but how about if I just post the http:// text (without it actually being a link)? They'd have to copy-paste to get there.

EDIT: I thought about doing it all through PMs, but I'm really not willing to worry about sending PMs to all who want it.

Another EDIT: I also thought about uploading it to my personal website, but I don't really see how that's much different than having it on Google Drive.

Yet Another: And just FYI, these are the files I'm trying to give people access to:

Name:  psc.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  8.9 KB

Also, if you like, you're certainly willing to grab them, and just host them on VBForums if you like. I want/need no credit. All I did was convert them to ZIP files, create an index, and clean out any viruses.

----

And, just for grins, here's what a small section of the inside of that AllThePscZipFilesZipped.zip looks like:

Name:  PscZip.png
Views: 742
Size:  122.6 KB
    Last edited by Elroy; Sep 5th, 2020 at 07:31 PM.

Hyperactive Member

Extract from the database themes that do not have .zips with images:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I9K...ew?usp=sharing

Does it make sense to pull the same themes out of other CDs?
    Last edited by Argus19; Sep 6th, 2020 at 03:46 AM.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I've also got two other files which are just TSV and XLSX files that serve as indexes to the ~13,000 files.
    I could not find a match between the file names written in the ZipFilePath field of the PscEnc.mdb database and the file names in the Zips folder of the CD.
    Apparently, when installing, for example, VB_Volume3.EXE, the names change.

Personally, to create my index files, I just wrote a VB6 routine that opened each of the ~13,000 zip files, examined the @PSC_ReadMe... file, and then copied the Title and Description out of them.

I'll attach the TSV files I created. I can't see how they'd complain about that being distributed, being ASCII. And, I have confidence that they'll work out a way for us to distribute everything.

Today, I might write another procedure to just see how many EXE, DLL, & OCX files we're talking about. I'm confident that there are no longer any viruses (in my copy), but there still shouldn't be any reason for these.

-----------

I had to split the ZipFileIndex.tsv into two files, even zipped, to meet the attachment limit of one meg.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Elroy; Sep 6th, 2020 at 12:15 PM.

That's only 2.4 GB, right? Is that really too big for the free version of GitHub or GitLab? It's been a while since I looked, to be fair, but I thought GitHub would do that as long as it was a public repo, and this would certainly be public.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast