Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Re PlanetSourceCode

Banned

Question really...?

hello friends,

as i following the
    planet-source-code is like server down ? where it is just disappear ? can anyone tell me about this. where i can find it ? please help.

Re: really...?

Re: really...?

And...

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....de-com-is-down

We've now got three threads going about this.

I'll ask the moderators to consolidate them.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Re: Re PlanetSourceCode

Quote Originally Posted by Syntanyl View Post
    Ahh well.. Anyways... If you do end up hosting a mirror, please let us know!!
    Alas, he has failed to respond after seven attempts. So, in the interim, I've begun to absorb the data in to my own web site, fortypoundhead.com. (admin - feel free to remove the sitename if not allowed)

I've ingressed approximately 1400 of the "cut & paste" submissions from the PSC CDs, in the VB6 category, covering 2002-2006. I'm continuing to ingress as I get a few minutes here and there. I haven't been able to add the ZIP files, as I am not sure how to "decrypt" the zips.

Feel free to check it out, and possibly submit your own code. Hell, If it takes off, I'll even start up a monthly contest.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by FortyPoundHead View Post
    Feel free to check it out, and possibly submit your own code. Hell, If it takes off, I'll even start up a monthly contest.
    I am currently writing a "cure for greed" for these CDs. When the program is ready, I will let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus19 View Post
    I am currently writing a "cure for greed" for these CDs. When the program is ready, I will let you know.
    I await your generosity. If you need anything from me, please let me know.

Someone must transform all these PSC submissions from zip files to git repos and then host these on a public gogs/gitea server on Digital Ocean with public access so that anyone can submit issues, branch&fix and generally discuss the code.

Could be done on github too under PSC organization for instance. Hmm, this sounds doable/automatable if the original host agrees not to file take down orders with github.

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Someone must transform all these PSC submissions from zip files to git repos and then host these on a public gogs/gitea server on Digital Ocean with public access so that anyone can submit issues, branch&fix and generally discuss the code.

Could be done on github too under PSC organization for instance. Hmm, this sounds doable/automatable if the original host agrees not to file take down orders with github.
    While that sounds like a really good idea, but it might be rather labor intensive. The content is a mess, and there is no real structure inside the zip files. Without manual intervention on each zip file, you'd end up with 74,414 random snowflake repositories.

Don’t think there is any problem with the zip structure as it’s kept intact by PSC the way original author submitted the code. Otherwise vbp’s relative paths will not match and project file will be rendered useless. The only thing that might need attention is repo’s README as expected by github and project name as older zips used to be named CODE_UPLOAD{number_here}.zip

Adding 75k VB6 repos to github will propel the language to being second most used one on the site which is quite hilarious in itself for a dead language and might raise one or two brows at Microsoft’s HQs. . . LOL

PowerPoster

...only thing that might need attention is repo’s README as expected by github
    and project name as older zips used to be named CODE_UPLOAD{number_here}.zip
    The amount of Projects would need an automated Scanner/GitUploader anyways,
    (which then could replace these anonymous projectnames with the one found in the "Main-VBP-File" of the current Zip).

Adding 75k VB6 repos to github will propel the language to being second most used one on the site which is quite hilarious in itself for a dead language and might raise one or two brows at Microsoft’s HQs. . . LOL
    That'd be indeed hilarious - but I don't have the time currently, to write such a Scanner/Uploader-App.

FWIW, I could contribute a few cGitxxx-VB6-Classes, which internally implement the http(s)-based Git-WebAPI -
    to support these "Upload-Automation-efforts" (in case someone else wants to tackle this task).

Olaf

Hyperactive Member

hi Schmidt.
    your contribution would be great.

it's a great idea to upload it to github for more visibility for vb6.
    Greetings

Hyperactive Member

At this point in time, it was possible to "neutralize two mines" in the database. While a fatal error occurs if the name contains the "'" character. Looking for a way to get around.
    The database contains links to files that do not exist on the CD.
    The program works without installation. To work, you need to burn the .ISO file to CD / DVD or unpack it to a hard disk.
    At startup, press the "Search Base" button and Find the database file. Further - intuitively.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hyperactive Member

While a fatal error occurs if the name contains the "'" character. Looking for a way to get around.
    Found a way. This problem has been resolved.
    I wrote down the names of the zip files as they are. Did remove invalid characters from file names.
    Many solutions do not contain .zip files. They contain descriptions of API declarations and code in text format. There are also HTML codes. In order not to copy it, you can create a folder and write information from the database into it.
    Need some advice: what is the best way to record information from Description, More Notes and Code into one file or several?

Definately one README.md github markdown formatted.

Btw, what license are code submissions distributed under by PSC? Public domain?

Found a way. This problem has been resolved.
    I wrote down the names of the zip files as they are. Did remove invalid characters from file names.
    Many solutions do not contain .zip files. They contain descriptions of API declarations and code in text format. There are also HTML codes. In order not to copy it, you can create a folder and write information from the database into it.
    Need some advice: what is the best way to record information from Description, More Notes and Code into one file or several?
    Might have saved you some trouble, as I did this last week. I already have the copy/paste submissions posted up, and they look something like this.

I've already got all the copy/paste submissions posted up. The submissions with zip files are uploaded as well, just not visible on the site yet.

The problem I am having now is that the zip files, all renamed with a zip extension, can't be unzipped. Simply renaming them with a zip file extension isn't the answer. I tried that, and just results in broken zip files. I think there is some kind of XOR going on there, but I am no crypto dude, so I'm not sure how to decode the probably rudimentary encryption.

As soon as I or someone else can figure out a way to programmatically convert all those ZIPs back to regular zips, I can make them visible on the site.

(edited for grammar and expanded clarity.)
    Last edited by FortyPoundHead; Aug 30th, 2020 at 08:00 AM.

Btw, what license are code submissions distributed under by PSC? Public domain?
    I would think the individual submissions remain the property of the individual contributor. Most sites work that way, and if I remember right, PSC was no different. I would have never contributed if by uploading my code I was signing away my rights to it.

Hyperactive Member

I do not know this format, so I recorded it in a regular .txt.
    Eliminated some of the shortcomings of the program.

I do not know this format, so I recorded it in a regular .txt.
    Eliminated some of the shortcomings of the program.
    Ummm, your attachment shows a trojan?

Name:  argustrojan.png
Views: 1169
Size:  19.2 KB

Hyperactive Member

It's strange. Packaged in .zip

Name:  argustrojan.png
Views: 1169
Size:  19.2 KB

Windows security also detects a trojan

Sometimes I think vb is a religion. If it is, I do the mass, after all I have attachment to the episcopate lol

Out of curiosity, could vbforums support / handle the full repository of PSC? Don’t know the legalities of hosting the data, but I have a significant number of downloads complete with Screen Shots and Descriptions.

Over the years I’ve squirreled away a ton of VB source code that lives on an old hard drive, much of which came from PSC. Last time I checked there was some 10.7 Gigs worth of data in 38,261 directories covering 319,748 Files.

Some of the downloads / projects are roughly organized by topic while others are just stored in obscurely named directories.
    Last edited by jthompson6; Sep 1st, 2020 at 06:10 AM.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by jthompson6 View Post
    Out of curiosity, could vbforums support / handle the full repository of PSC? Don’t know the legalities of hosting the data, but I have a significant number of downloads complete with Screen Shots and Descriptions.

Over the years I’ve squirreled away a ton of VB source code that lives on an old hard drive, much of which came from PSC. Last time I checked there was some 10.7 Gigs worth of data in 38,261 directories covering 319,748 Files.

Some of the downloads / projects are roughly organized by topic while others are just stored in obscurely named directories.
    you must be our last hope, i really hope someone who in charge in this forum can do something about this legacy, come on..we must do preserve this..

Hyperactive Member

I made a mistake. My program works if installed .exe from disk. When working without installation, it turned out that the names of the files in the database do not match their names on the CD.
    Unfortunately, I am now ill and it is a little difficult for me to continue working.
    The problem I am having now is that the zip files, all renamed with a zip extension, can't be unzipped. Simply renaming them with a zip file extension isn't the answer. I tried that, and just results in broken zip files.
    While I recover, you can use a simple .psc to .zip conversion program.
    In order not to unpack the .iso to your hard drive, just download the .iso to a virtual drive and work with it.
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Sep 2nd, 2020 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Removed attachment with bad file.

I made a mistake. My program works if installed .exe from disk. When working without installation, it turned out that the names of the files in the database do not match their names on the CD.
    Unfortunately, I am now ill and it is a little difficult for me to continue working.

While I recover, you can use a simple .psc to .zip conversion program.
    In order not to unpack the .iso to your hard drive, just download the .iso to a virtual drive and work with it.
    damn, Argus. You're a rockstar. I'm going to kick it off on the repo tonight.

edit: Sorry to hear about your illness! Any way you can share the source code? I'd like to kick it off on the entire repo, instead of one file at a time. I can make the mod, if you're amenable to sharing!
    Last edited by FortyPoundHead; Sep 1st, 2020 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post
    DETAILS OF 7 PSC CDs
    1 Start - 2002
    2 2002 - 2004
    3 2004 - 2005
    4 2005 - 2006
    5 2007 - 2008
    6 2008 - 2009
    7 2009 - 2012
    Pick one and let me know how to upload it to you
    If you find it useful, we can work out how to get the rest to you
    Dear mr. Bobbles,

how can I contact you to see how we could transfer them (google drive, onedrive, whatnot...)? I'd kill for those ISO images

many thanks!

I already created the github organization at https://github.com/Planet-Source-Code

Now if someone can share a PSC CD to fiddle with while on vacation with something like this:

c:>curl ftp://ucs%5cftppscode:12345@free.bgbiz.com/pscode/ --upload-file PSC_CD1.iso

cheers,
    </wqw>

Hyperactive Member

I'd like to kick it off on the entire repo, instead of one file at a time.
    Create a folder to copy the files to. Run the program. Find the folder with the .psc files, the created folder, press the "Start" button and wait a long, long time.
    I unpacked 10 files for testing. Write how the program will work for you. Maybe I chose the wrong progress bar.
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Sep 2nd, 2020 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Removed attachment that was invalid.

Create a folder to copy the files to. Run the program. Find the folder with the .psc files, the created folder, press the "Start" button and wait a long, long time.
    I unpacked 10 files for testing. Write how the program will work for you. Maybe I chose the wrong progress bar.
    Thanks, Argus. I've got the files copied to a directory, and I will give it a run tonight. Saddled with a day job, so can't work on it right now.

ok, then. I'll have to wait for fortypoundhead.com to become live before leeching all of the available code uploads from it for the github effort. Hope you're not planning a paywall or anything. . .

This will even be easier as I will not have to crack PSC "encryption" on the zip archives too, although provided the "stellar" PSC record it wouldn't surprise me if it's XOR'd "Protected by Ian Ippolito know-how" string or similar strong "academic" approach to the problem with a message too :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

ok, then. I'll have to wait for fortypoundhead.com to become live before leeching all of the available code uploads from it for the github effort. Hope you're not planning a paywall or anything. . .

This will even be easier as I will not have to crack PSC "encryption" on the zip archives too, although provided the "stellar" PSC record it wouldn't surprise me if it's XOR'd "Protected by Ian Ippolito know-how" string or similar strong "academic" approach to the problem with a message too :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>
    I've been running the site since 2005, never had a paywall of any sort, and I don't plan on having one as long as I am running the joint. I've never had the lame ass "You must login to see more than 3 posts" BS, either. I'm not in the business of collecting email addresses, and everything on the site is accessible to anyone who looks for it. The only exceptions are specific tools like Ophion (Timetracker), private messaging, and forum posting, which all require some sort of identity to keep data organized, accessible and private (in certain cases).

As I mentioned previously, here and elsewhere, I'm not in it for the money. Rather, I just want to help the world learn. It's why I built the site, and why I continue to give stuff away for free. The disappearance of PSC was a shock to a lot of people, and I feel that I can provide a more modern equivalent, while recovering the "lost" data, as well as providing folks a place to post their new projects and ideas.

You're free to leech it all. People have been leeching from the site for years. Some notes, though:

- gatekeeper scripts that I have built guard against some agent strings. Change the defaults, lest the script bans you. If you really want to duplicate the content, and don't know how to change your agent string, let me know privately, and I can whitelist your IP.

- don't roast my host, please. Keep requests to 1-5 requests per second. Once again, gatekeeper might pick up the activity and ban you anyway, but still, I don't want to get any love letters from the hosting company for supposedly abusing my "unlimited" bandwidth.

If you're not getting any love for getting the ISOs, I'll post the 7 ISOs I have out on the site, or perhaps on some other method (gDrive? OneDrive?) So y'all can get at them.

Re: PlanetSourceCode

I already created the github organization at https://github.com/Planet-Source-Code

Now if someone can share a PSC CD to fiddle with while on vacation with something like this:

c:>curl ftp://ucs%5cftppscode:12345@free.bgbiz.com/pscode/ --upload-file PSC_CD1.iso
    archive.org to the rescue:

Planet Source Code Jumbo Resource CD Visual Basic Volumes 1 to 7 (2002-2012)

GitHub / GitLab / etc. is the only sensible solution for this. Locking gigabytes of open-source vb6 code in a proprietary format on a private server is exactly what created this mess in the first place.

Everyone here at vbforums should be migrating their codebank entries to open alternatives, too. Relying on the whims of for-profit 3rd-party companies to maintain the collective VB6 knowledge-base has done more harm to the language than anything Microsoft did.

Argus. You're killing me.

Threat detected: Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml

Post #64 and 68 included an attachment that was nothing more than compiled code. That isn't allowed, but in this case, it triggered pretty nearly every virus detection, including mine, so there was something bad attached to that.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

I do not know why the attachments contained viruses. I check my computer very often. And everything works for me without any messages from the antivirus program.
    I have 360 Total Security installed.
    Uploaded to googledrive:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T3s...ew?usp=sharing
    Please check if there is any infection now.
    Last edited by Argus19; Sep 3rd, 2020 at 12:36 AM.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOMER View Post
    Dear mr. Bobbles,

how can I contact you to see how we could transfer them (google drive, onedrive, whatnot...)? I'd kill for those ISO images

many thanks!
    Here is the link -
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HzF...ew?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by [citation-needed] View Post

GitHub / GitLab / etc. is the only sensible solution for this. Locking gigabytes of open-source vb6 code in a proprietary format on a private server is exactly what created this mess in the first place.

Everyone here at vbforums should be migrating their codebank entries to open alternatives, too. Relying on the whims of for-profit 3rd-party companies to maintain the collective VB6 knowledge-base has done more harm to the language than anything Microsoft did.
    Thanks for the iso link. Has anyone been able to decrypt/open the .psc files? They're supposed to be zip files.

I installed the program inside a windows 7 VM, however, when I click the View Files (WinZip) icon, I get a 'CurrentZipFile.zip is not valid' error.

Hyperactive Member

Microsoft considers its own product to be a virus:
    Attachment 178572

Quote Originally Posted by [citation-needed] View Post

The link is priceless! Thanks a lot!

The password for PscEnc.mdb is a6e09r239kdb0x

> The files in the zips folder with PSC extension can be converted to zip files by XOR'ing each byte in the file with FF

So there is not even a thoughtful message from Ian here :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

Hyperactive Member

The password for PscEnc.mdb is a6e09r239kdb0x
    Yes.
    > The files in the zips folder with PSC extension can be converted to zip files by XOR'ing each byte in the file with FF
    Not at all.
    Redesigned the program. Uploaded to Google Drive. Downloaded. The antivirus does not respond when downloading the archive. When unpacking too.
    There are often complaints on the Internet that some anti-virus programs define programs created in IDE WB 6.0 as containing Trojans.
    Chances are the anti-virus programs are "nervous" about my program because of its handling of binaries.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-gt...ew?usp=sharing

If the downloaded antivirus programs will again "complain" about my program, it will be necessary to recode the disks and put them on a google drive.
    Last edited by Argus19; Sep 3rd, 2020 at 06:03 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast