Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Re PlanetSourceCode

Hyperactive Member

Re: Re PlanetSourceCode

The first item is: "Access Database Manipulation via JDBC (for Microsoft Access)".
    The .mdb has a similar entity in text form, i.e. without .zip (in attachment).
    Is it the same thing or not?
    Last edited by Argus19; Sep 26th, 2020 at 10:36 AM.

Yes, this submission is a code snippet from the database (w/o a separate zip file).

Unfortunately the database is very inconsistent regarding votes to these submissions (w/o attachments) and some of them have average rating above 5 which is nonsense.

I removed all submissions rated above 5 from the Hall of fame list but left them in authors/categories lists so these can be located from the indexes at all.

I'll probably have to remove all submissions w/o attachments as these seem to have dubious/rigged ratings or the database is just an inconsistent mess (as usual).

I'm currently back-linking the indexes from the submissions' descriptions, i.e. each submission will have a back-link to its author's index and its category's index too.

Edit: for instance this submission [Polygon Animation Editor (PAN File Editor)] now has back-links to its author's list of submissions [(Tim Miron) yar-interactive software] and its category list [Graphics] too.

Here is a submission (again w/o attachment) with user rating above 5: https://github.com/Planet-Source-Cod...easily__1-2209

cheers,
    </wqw>

Hyperactive Member

good job wqweto.

Hyperactive Member

The rating is incorrect in many cases.
    It will be sufficient to keep the author's name or pseudonym.
    If there are discussions of newly created materials, then consider the rating from "zero".

Quote Originally Posted by yokesee View Post
    good job wqweto.
    Thanks!

I even managed to come up with a slogan for the new github org

Planet Source Code
    Better hosted, still the same "POScode". . .

Not sure if the slogan color is brown enough though. . . LOL :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

Frenzied Member

awesome work on this thanks

Fanatic Member

Finally was able to finish testing and cleanup some of the code of the tools to decrypt and extract PSC files, prepare project repos and upload to Gitea server. Some tasks take too much time - uploads to Gitea server for last run took 10.5+ hours running all on localhost on SSDs and lots of RAM.

Still parts of the code needs refactoring as there are routines to be moved from the tools to the proper libraries or just general refactoring.

The attached ZIP contains VB.NET 2019 solution (sources only) that will perform the tasks and the final result is this:

13557 repositories imported in Gitea - some are lost due to broken ZIP files (or just the used ZIP extract library failed to extract).

Here is short description (full one in README.md in the attached archive):
    ------------

The provided tools are split into 3 tasks:

• Decrypt PSC files which are just normal ZIPs xor-ed with 0FFh and extract archives
    • Prepare project repos with proper file name; removed unsafe files (.exe, .obj, .ocx), add .gitignore and .gitattributes; create README.md with proper description and picture from the provided in the CD MDB
    • For each project initialize new Git repository, create repo on Gitea server and push the repo to Gitea

The projects are allowing extensibility via provided interfaces: different ZIP extraction library, database access for MDB, support for different centralized Git hosting servers - Gitea, Gogs, GitHub, GitLab, etc.

Tools are using simple INI file for configuration for easier editing (compared to XML or other file types).

For increased performance the tools can run not only as single-threaded tasks but also to use multi-threading. Decrypt/extract and prepare repos tasks work much faster with parallel processing enabled (configurable in tools config.ini file).

Note that parallel processing stresses alot the CPU, memory and disk system so it is recommended to use SSD for files storage. Upload to Gitea task requires also 16GB of system memory and still may force Gitea to become unstable and the tool to crash so for this task parallel processing is disabled in the configuration file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Someone here said about the Forums for VB communities that "we are the best". It really is, you are the best ...

Frenzied Member

I am old, and thus (for me) tardy.
    I was the one who made the PSC CDs available for download.
    I had never gotten around to installing them, but had kept the CDs.
    Later Elroy, and others (in this thread) have been making (great) efforts to make the PSC source code available to us.
    Due to my tardiness, I have not gotten around to checking those out yet.
    In a recent (non related) thread, Eduardo said this -
    https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....52#post5497752
    Post 13 Eduardo said - One site that has the PSC projects and with a search function is this -
    https://www.fortypoundhead.com/browse.asp?catid=122

I sent this question to Derek (fortypoundhead) -
    Hi Derek,
    Just came across your (great) site, and joined.
    I (and many others at vbforums.com) have been lamenting the loss of PSC.
    Someone posted a link to your site saying -
    "One site that has the PSC projects and with a search function is" (with a link to your site)
    Is that true ?
    Does your VB6 pages contain a cache of all of the PSC VB6 source code ?

Thought this might be of some interest to our members,
    Rob

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post
    I was the one who made the PSC CDs available for download.
    I had never gotten around to installing them, but had kept the CDs.
    I am finishing the image of the DVD disc. It mainly includes PSC codes. I used Elroy's work and mine.
    The program on the disk works without installation, password and does not ask for money.
    Now I supplement with codes that I can find.
    To commemorate your contribution to the processing of the PSC CD, please send me your codes that you think fit in the image and I will add them.

[QUOTE=Bobbles;5497852

Rob[/QUOTE]

Good morning Rob (Or evening for you!). I just answered your email, and yes, the site contains all the VB6 code that I could recover from the archives.

Someone posted a link to your site saying -
    "One site that has the PSC projects and with a search function is" (with a link to your site)
    Is that true ?

Rob
    https://github.com/Planet-Source-Code -- this contains all PSC submissions from all CDs too.

Do you find github interface intimidating?

There are a couple of benefits not found in any other alternative:
    - can search by submission name (simple, most have it)
    - can search by original PSC submission ID (most don't preserve it)
    - can search *inside* source code like .frm, .bas, .cls, .ctl, and other files (full-text search, no one does it)
    - can search by original download filename and original thumbnail filename (most don't preserve it)
    - has an extensive index (by author, by category, etc. including All Time Hall of Fame)
    - can search/browse submissions by original authors (some don't preserve them)
    - can browse the source code directly on site (copy/paste API declares?) without downloading it (only gitea has it)
    - can fork submissions and collaborate on site like a true version control sysem (gitea is not public)
    - can browse all forks of the submission and find newer (better) versions of the source

cheers,
    </wqw>

Frenzied Member

Thanks Derek(FortyPoundHead), and wqweto
    You both have made this 1,000 times easier (with the two posts above) for my tardiness.

It appears that both of these repositories consist mainly of the 7 CDs contents.
    Thus containing PSC stuff up t0 2012

I have been saving MORE RECENT recent PSC zips to my computer, but just for those that were of interest to me.
    And I am sure that vbforums members were doing similar
    Can WE ALL somehow come up with a coordinated plan/method/approach for us to upload them somehow/somewhere ?

Rob
    PS Yes GitHub intimidated the hades out of me, in the past.

Hyperactive Member

Can WE ALL somehow come up with a coordinated plan/method/approach for us to upload them somehow/somewhere ?
    The Internet has an unpleasant feature: sites disappear. For my needs, I already had to change two free hosting. One was overbought, the other became paid. It is good that the information was saved on the computer and on an external drive.
    I put everything into one .iso:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xhq...ew?usp=sharing
    Since the image has not yet been filled up to the DVD level, I use the "Daemon tools lite" free program to work with it.
    I offered to supplement it with your codes, but you ignored my message.

Rob
    PS Yes GitHub intimidated the hades out of me, in the past.
    I'll gladly add collaborators to PSC organization on github so that anyone can upload new submissions.

Just DM me your username you use there.

Anyone that would like upload access to PSC organization on github contact me here or on github.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Won several monthly contests. As an reward, I think I accepted a couple CDs, but later opted for the physical books they were offering at the time. Got several of those too. The only problem with the CDs, in my opinion, was that they were much like the site, but at a smaller scale -- needed to wade through weeds to find some gems.
    great, I remember ranking for the best code. one of mine was chosen. I could have gotten the book but the most important thing for me was the 'top code' sticker.

I hope I have most of the code I put in there

Cool Re: Re PlanetSourceCode

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    I'll gladly add collaborators to PSC organization on github so that anyone can upload new submissions.

Just DM me your username you use there.

Anyone that would like upload access to PSC organization on github contact me here or on github.

cheers,
    </wqw>

I'd like to be added to that list of collaborators - I have hundreds of files saved on old drives!
    After the 1st of the year, I'll dig them out and start looking through them to see what hasn't already been uploaded.

I'd also be interested in collaborating with someone to create a website that uses Github and WordPress as the backend and create a user-friendly front-end, similar or better than the original PSCode.com.

Excellent job to everyone involved, thank you so much - keep up the great work!!!

PowerPoster

some vb6 code is very good,some vb6 bbs site closed,if code save or copy to vbforums.com ,it's great!

PowerPoster

How many countries do schools (high schools, universities) need to learn VB6 programming languages, computer grade exams? Not learning VB6 in China now, changed to PYTHON and other languages. Do new people learn VB6 in the future? After all, no VB6 can be installed on the new computer, the school does not teach this programming language

PowerPoster

Which language is the most difficult for a computer secondary exam?

If you rank the above five languages from easy to difficult: VB<python<java<C <C language.

1.VB language

Software can be developed, is currently the simplest programming language, known as "beginner programming language ", but because VB can use third-party controls, components, and have class extensions, support API functions and other powerful extensions, so in fact VB can do almost anything.

2.python language

I am sure the teacher will learn this artificial intelligence, how tall, as for the C、C 、JAVA and other advanced languages in here do not do too much introduction, want to know can go to Baidu degree Niang

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    some vb6 code is very good,some vb6 bbs site closed,if code save or copy to vbforums.com ,it's great!
    I have collected codes from 7 PSC disks into one DVD image. There is still a lot of work:
    1). some screenshots are missing;
    2). part of the test information in .txt format and part in .html;
    3). some of the information is referred to sites that are no longer working.
    4). until the image is full, 1 GB of codes is not enough.
    Intermediate option:
    https://yadi.sk/d/qttLGsI2-3DzcQ

<This site doesn't endorse any particular third party software.>
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Dec 17th, 2020 at 11:53 AM.

Lively Member

so sad to see the site down.. i really could use some examples right now

i will miss the site very much..

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maximillion View Post
    i will miss the site very much..
    Don't be bored. wqweto and Elroy have copied the saved information to GitHub, I am making an offline version.

Cool Re: Re PlanetSourceCode

FYI, I just sent you an invite to @chrishultberg for PSC org on github.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    I appreciate the invite - but I never got it.
    I've checked a couple times in the past few weeks but I've been really busy and haven't had a chance to reply.
    Would you mind sending the invite again?

Happy New Year and I wish everyone their best year yet!!!

Sure, just sent it again.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    Thank You, You Rock!

I've been pretty busy lately with the holiday season but I'll have some time to upload some new/old code and help anyone that has any questions!

Hi sorry ifs this is already sorted.

I archived the entire VB6 section late 2019 I never got round to finishing other sections but wish I did now, didn't think it was going to go down so suddenly, I was actually planning today to finish the archiving and upload damn!

Here is 3.1GB archive of the entire VB section, including the HTML pages. I am sure I have others around somewhere but cant find them at the moment, I am sure I archived fully .NET, Delphi and 2 others. There is no images though, HTML files were just there to be parsed for download links.

https://mega.nz/file/8l0n1KCY#-ezg0O...DwfCnzgFhxyEvc

site still down FYI to all

Quote Originally Posted by habenero View Post
    site still down FYI to all
    I'm going to bring the site back, at an alternative domain.

I only started yesterday when I discovered the loss of PSC, it has been some time since I visited.

But I now have all images from the 7 VB CDs, Zips and code snippets in a working SQL database.

I think it will take me just a few days to finish coding and designing a website.

At this stage it only covers 2002-2012. If anybody can supply further zips I would be most grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by dosgamer View Post
    I'm going to bring the site back, at an alternative domain.
    Already done:

VB6 specific content: https://www.fortypoundhead.com/
    All PSC content: https://github.com/Planet-Source-Code

This is my take on the data vbcoders.com

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by dosgamer View Post
    This is my take on the data vbcoders.com
    Thanks for the link, it looks very interesting.
    I browsed the web site for info about it, but could not see anything.
    Is that your site ?
    Has it existed for a long time ?
    Are most of the submissions from PSC ?
    If so which periods ?
    EG All of the submissions that were on the 7CDs (which I think was up till 2012)
    Does it have any of the more recent PSC submissions ?

Is that your site ?
    Can't tell as there are full CDs of VB version 1 to 6 both Professional and Enterprise editions on this site.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Fanatic Member

http://www.cyberactivex.com/UnicodeTutorialVb.htm also down. Some famous VB6's related website is slowly dying.

Thanks for the link, it looks very interesting.
    I browsed the web site for info about it, but could not see anything.
    Is that your site ? Yes
    Has it existed for a long time ? 1 day
    Are most of the submissions from PSC ? Yes
    If so which periods ? all 7 VB CDs upto 2012
    EG All of the submissions that were on the 7CDs (which I think was up till 2012)
    Does it have any of the more recent PSC submissions ?
    I am working on compiling some more, also new submissions can be submitted on site under submit code.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDavis View Post
    http://www.cyberactivex.com/UnicodeTutorialVb.htm also down. Some famous VB6's related website is slowly dying.
    I've been trying to recover the content of these dead and dying sites. If you know of more that are in danger of going away, please let me know, and I will do my best to contact the site owner(s) to gracefully recover the content. If I'm unable to contact them, I grab what I can from other sources and post on fortypoundhead.com with attribution. I'll peep out cyberactivex.com this weekend, and see if I can't get that content recovered.

Please do let me know if there are other sites or content that are in danger of going away, though. Honestly, I'm not trying to make money (it's actually a money losing hobby!), I just don't want to see the content disappear.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FortyPoundHead View Post
    I've been trying to recover the content of these dead and dying sites. If you know of more that are in danger of going away, please let me know, and I will do my best to contact the site owner(s) to gracefully recover the content. If I'm unable to contact them, I grab what I can from other sources and post on fortypoundhead.com with attribution. I'll peep out cyberactivex.com this weekend, and see if I can't get that content recovered.
    AFAIK, the Author of cyberactivex is a Forum-member here:
    Dana Seaman (former account-name: DrUnicode, current account-name: DSeaman).

I think it'd worth a try, when you "ping" him directly via the Forums PM-functionality (via DSeaman).

Olaf

Addicted Member

Available from the WayBackMachine: https://web.archive.org/web/20200803...TutorialVb.htm

Joe

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast