Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Re PlanetSourceCode

Hyperactive Member

Re PlanetSourceCode

Does anyone know why PlanetSourceCode web site is not loading.
    Haven't been there for a while and just checked and page wont load..

tks

Frenzied Member

Re: Re PlanetSourceCode

Quote Originally Posted by k_zeon View Post
    Does anyone know why PlanetSourceCode web site is not loading.
    Haven't been there for a while and just checked and page wont load..

tks
    Hi, no it isn't loading for me either. Check https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/. This seems more like a question for Chit Chat or the General Developers forum btw.

I also noticed ... it's one of my online library

Hyperactive Member

does anyone know how to contact the site owners/moderators to see whats happening.?

from past experience, PSC goes down from time to time for maintenance. Assuming that site did not shut down, it'll be up in a couple days or sooner -- be patient.

Until then, you may be able to access PSC links from the wayback machine
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Frenzied Member

It has been down for a few days
    I had precious contact with the 'owner' -

webmaster@planet-source-code.com

Frenzied Member

If he is hosting his email on the same faulty server, and your email to him bounces, you could google for his name -
    Ian Ippolito

Frenzied Member

I wanted to track down copies of all teh cd's he sold over the years but wasnt able to. Its a huge repository of vb6's history and know how so just had to be archived. Hopefully this comes back up but he was ready to completely pull the plug and let it die last time around as obsolete. He was responsive to emails last time around. If we get word he isnt going to bother with it anymore maybe we can get an archive from him or permission to put up the bits I archived. I am sure others must have done this too, writing was on teh wall.

His other computer consulting site exhedra.com is down too as is ianippolito.com. His www.therealestatecrowdfundingreview.com/about lists him as retired.
    Last edited by dz32; Sep 15th, 2020 at 04:47 PM.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by dz32 View Post
    After the last crash I did a little project where I slowly scraped all of the medium and advanced submissions and built an offline database and search utility of all the info. I wanted to track down copies of all teh cd's he sold over the years but wasnt able to. Its a huge repository of vb6's history and know how so just had to be archived. Hopefully this comes back up but he was ready to completely pull the plug and let it die last time around as obsolete. He was responsive to emails last time around. If we get word he isnt going to bother with it anymore maybe we can get an archive from him or permission to put up the bits I archived. I am sure others must have done this too, writing was on teh wall.

His other computer consulting site exhedra.com is down too as is ianippolito.com. His www.therealestatecrowdfundingreview.com/about lists him as retired.
    I have the set of CDs (7 I think).
    My memory is rs (c..p), but I recall you could download them, followed by some step to pay for them, which I never got rich enough to do.
    Is your memory better than mine, regarding how that worked (downloaded vs purchased) ?

Frenzied Member

The one I have is the 2002 edition on a branded CD he mailed me as a thank you for some work I did for him. Around that time I think it was pay first then they snail mail you a physical CD from a 3rd party CD burning house. I think they did one per year of the new submissions from that year? but it might have changed. 7 CDs is a pretty good collection. I think they come with a mdb file. The community can probably rebuild a substantial portion of the archive if need be.
    Last edited by dz32; Sep 15th, 2020 at 04:48 PM.

Way back, I was a regular on that site and that is where I actually gained most of my initial reputation. Won several monthly contests. As an reward, I think I accepted a couple CDs, but later opted for the physical books they were offering at the time. Got several of those too. The only problem with the CDs, in my opinion, was that they were much like the site, but at a smaller scale -- needed to wade through weeds to find some gems.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Frenzied Member

yeah thats the trick with psc lots (and lots) of noise but some really great stuff. I have a soft spot for the site. thats basically how i learned to code was examples from there and community feedback on my submissions.

Frenzied Member

DETAILS OF 7 PSC CDs
    1 Start - 2002
    2 2002 - 2004
    3 2004 - 2005
    4 2005 - 2006
    5 2007 - 2008
    6 2008 - 2009
    7 2009 - 2012
    Pick one and let me know how to upload it to you
    If you find it useful, we can work out how to get the rest to you

Frenzied Member

I looked at my disk, there is an exe installer, once run you can install in compact mode 20mb (all vb6 source left on CD) or full 600mb disk space. After install there is an exe AddInClient.exe some support files and /data/pscEnc.mdb . You get 35 free searches or you have to activate your install online. All of the zips on the cd have some kind of encryption/obsfuscation applied to them and have the .psc extension.

Would have to get explicit permission from Ian before I personally went any further.

Hyperactive Member

it seems, many people have psc cds.

Frenzied Member

I have created ISOs of the 7 CDs
    I have zipped them all into a single .7z file which is 3.6GB
    You will need the free 7Zip program to unzip them (those that have not tried 7zip, should do themselves a favor, and get it)
    I have placed that single file on to my Google Drive
    If anyone wants them, PM me to get a link.
    I did not paste the link here, in case Google has a limit on how many people can download things ?
    These are the identical CDs that PSC always has available for download from their site.
    EG They can be installed, and then grant you access 15 times.

Rob
    PS my earlier post describes them -
    DETAILS OF 7 PSC CDs
    1 Start - 2002
    2 2002 - 2004
    3 2004 - 2005
    4 2005 - 2006
    5 2007 - 2008
    6 2008 - 2009
    7 2009 - 2012

PowerPoster

http://planet-source-code.com/ is down?

Peraphs i'm OT, but http://planet-source-code.com/ is down?

Re: http://planet-source-code.com/ is down?

Frenzied Member

Came across a facebook page where a few years back he posted about the older problems with the site.
    No recent posts, but it might be worth us posting something there -
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PlanetSourceCode/posts/

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    from past experience, PSC goes down from time to time for maintenance. Assuming that site did not shut down, it'll be up in a couple days or sooner -- be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post

That's funny... I was just about to make that exact same recommendation about the Wayback Machine, as well as reply to your post saying that it was nice to see that you were still around. I used to go by the name(s) Dr. Fire and BigOrange on PSC and VBForums. Your alpha image control has been in my MUST HAVE user controls for coding with VB as it grows further outdated.

What are you up to nowadays, my friend?

BTW I also wanted to suggest to other you can use the "wayback_machine_downloader" command-line app to download entire websites from the Wayback Machines archives, saving you a lot of tedious work downloading and scouring through the archives online:

https://github.com/hartator/wayback-machine-downloader

Or this online tool that does the same, and then packages it into a .ZIP file for you to download, however I'm not sure if it will include the .ZIP source code files, whereas the Wayback Machine archives often do, and you can customize the settings of the command-line app to include these files to download into your offline mirror of PSC

Quote Originally Posted by luca90 View Post
    Peraphs i'm OT, but http://planet-source-code.com/ is down?
    Sadly. Planet Source Code will not be going back up. I emailed Ian and for this response.

Hey thanks Richard that's really nice of you to say. Well you will not envy the situation with Planet Source Code. It has been unprofitable for many years so I have been subsidizing it and paying about $500 a month to keep it running. But, recently the extremely old version of Windows server that is running on had an update which removed a now obsolete version of TLS. But the extremely old version of IIS doesn't support the change. I could probably debug it if I could figure out what some of that software is on there but I have lost the documentation years ago. And at this point it would cost way too much to try to get back up (for something that is a money loser anyway). So unfortunately it is shutting down. Sorry about that.

Ian
    Feel free to email him if you miss it. But sadly he can not keep it up.
    Last edited by innww; Aug 17th, 2020 at 07:04 AM.

Frenzied Member

some people should reach out and ask if he would be willing to put the code and database into the public domain for the community if it no longer has commercial value. Still has a lot of educational value. I did email him this, but got no response, dunno if he got it or not, but several other requests wouldnt hurt.

If he doesnt have the time then we can offer to try to salvage what we can from the PSC CD's if we get permission.

some people should reach out and ask if he would be willing to put the code and database into the public domain for the community if it no longer has commercial value. Still has a lot of educational value. I did email him this, but got no response, dunno if he got it or not, but several other requests wouldnt hurt.

If he doesnt have the time then we can offer to try to salvage what we can from the PSC CD's if we get permission.
    I did ask him if he could get a "public database to secure the knowledge and intellectual property" the same day. I will let everyone know what he says. I even personally offered to move the databases and information to a server I control and pay for it simply for the knowledge to be shared and kept.

Perhaps he could agree with that.

I also said perhaps we can crowd fund / donate to help subsidize the cost (community RUN website) entirely. Hope he does agree.
    We can salvage quite a bit if we worked hard but the websites database would be intact it's just a matter of moving everything. The DVDs/CD's stopped a while ago though right? Granted there wasn't a TON comparatively there were still plenty of contributions.

I do want us to let him know we will miss it and see if we can do anything to help; But I also don't want him to get 1000s of emails complaining because then he will regret the correspondences. That email is his personal/business email.
    Last edited by innww; Aug 19th, 2020 at 11:04 AM.

I'd be happy to put money towards this. I program with VB6 (I like may others haven't moved to other languages, mainly due to this being a hobby). It's a great resource and feel lost without this. Anyone know the link that I can use to buy the Planet Source Code cd's as a temporary fix?

Maddis

Quote Originally Posted by Maddis View Post
    I program with VB6 (I like may others haven't moved to other languages, mainly due to this being a hobby).

I also tried to get ahold of him through several methods, volunteering to move the content over to my own site, and never received a response. It'd be a shame to see all those great learning resources go away.

I'd be happy to host the content on my own site, which already has a good amount of VB6 related material (among other categories). PSC got me started in the land of way-back-when, and I would hate to see such a valuable resource be lost.

Frenzied Member

he has a consulting biz where he charges $4/min to talk on the phone.
    Maybe thats the next way to reach out: https://clarity.fm/ianippolito

Or maybe he has the bug and is preoccupied with other stuff going on

His domains dont expire till 2023, that would be complete closure on the issue
    once those expire.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post
    You will need the free 7Zip program to unzip them (those that have not tried 7zip, should do themselves a favor, and get it)
    I did not paste the link here, in case Google has a limit on how many people can download things ?
    These are the identical CDs that PSC always has available for download from their site.

Rob
    DETAILS OF 7 PSC CDs
    1 Start - 2002
    2 2002 - 2004
    3 2004 - 2005
    4 2005 - 2006
    5 2007 - 2008
    6 2008 - 2009
    7 2009 - 2012
    Heya, Bobbles.

Tried PM'ing you, but apparently I don't have enough juice to do so. I'm attempting contact with Ian to make sure I can share the content, but if you can share the link to your gDrive with me somehow, I'd be happy to prepare the content for access.

Thanks!

he has a consulting biz where he charges $4/min to talk on the phone.
    Just sent him a message through there. Hope to hear something back, but haven't had any luck through any other means.

Exclamation Re: Re PlanetSourceCode

Quote Originally Posted by FortyPoundHead View Post
    I'd be happy to host the content on my own site, which already has a good amount of VB6 related material (among other categories). PSC got me started in the land of way-back-when, and I would hate to see such a valuable resource be lost.
    Agreed, too valuable of a resource to be lost! PSC also helped me get started. There's no where else I have found on the web that has such a large repository of simple little proof-of-concept type examples, and code snippets. I wish I would have backed up all of my projects prior to the issues he had with his servers a number of years ago where a bunch of submissions were lost... I lost 80 percent of my code submissions...

I don't know what's been going on with Ian... He seems to really be slacking as time goes on... I won the Code of the Month contest like 4 years ago with my screenshot app called Zcreenshot, and I had been trying to win that contest for years, so I was really stoked once I finally did, and I contacted Ian, and he just blew me off once I mentioned winning the contest, but was replying prior to that message....

Ahh well.. Anyways... If you do end up hosting a mirror, please let us know!!

Frenzied Member

I'm on the pension, and my rent is about 55% of the pension, YET I would be prepared to contribute money.
    It appears that he is unlikely to get it running again.
    However, if we can build up enough members prepared to contribute, perhaps he could be persuaded to assist one of our members kindly prepared to 'host it' or the files, in some fashion ?

I'm happy to spread the load on one of my sites too if you need? Let me know, I owe PSC contributors A LOT over the years.
    Best,
    Dev

Frenzied Member

hope we can save this
    Last edited by dz32; Sep 15th, 2020 at 04:44 PM.

Got ahold of the CDs (Thanks, Bobbles!), working to convert the DB to MySQL now, and prettying up the content to work with my site at the same time. Will work on XOR'ng the zips shortly.

Still no word from Ian Ippolito; even tried contacting through Clarity, with no luck. Been trying to chase this guy down since February about this very situation.

Should we consider this abandonware? Does the content belong to him, or to whoever submitted to the site? Since the content was on a public freely accessible site, does that make it public domain, and republishable?

Database transferred for 2002. I'm going to continue on with the other 7 sets now.

Anyone got any idea how to unwrap the zip files?

Frenzied Member

how much can the repo and db be worth? dead language 20yrs old, he had to subsidize psc $500/mo to keep it running and we only want the vb6 part.

5k? 25 people @ $200 sounds possible

he must have nostalgia for it if he was subsidizing its existence since the last crash. Him releasing it for free at this late stage of the game seems possible as well. He made his money on it. Rent-a-coder probably wouldnt have taken off like it did without PSC as the springboard. Having it live on without any further effort/cost would be attractive to me if I was in his position.
    Last edited by dz32; Aug 22nd, 2020 at 07:42 PM.

Addicted Member

i want in,, i am from indonesia..and let's make it heard by exhedra.. let it begins

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbles View Post

Rob
    DETAILS OF 7 PSC CDs
    1 Start - 2002
    2 2002 - 2004
    3 2004 - 2005
    4 2005 - 2006
    5 2007 - 2008
    6 2008 - 2009
    7 2009 - 2012
    Hi Bobble, can i have the google link? thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast