Thread: [RESOLVED] MessageBox That Doesn't Pop Up When Outside the Application

[RESOLVED] MessageBox That Doesn't Pop Up When Outside the Application

Is there a way to create simple MsgBox objects that don't appear when outside its source application? I encounter this in my app when it is processing data and I wander around windows to do other crap. I'd like the MsgBox that appears when the data crunching is over to not pop up in when I'm doing this other stuff in a different app - I only want to see it when I click back on the it's own window (most likely it's waiting for me).

I use a custom made message box form as well and this happens when I use the .DoModal function. I don't see a new window created in the taskbar (I believe there's an option to prohibit that), but I do see it pop up exactly as I described above with the simpler MsgBox function when I'm in other apps.

I want to keep everything tight. My app isn't important enough to bug users doing other stuff.

Thanks!
    neef
    Last edited by neef; Aug 2nd, 2020 at 08:18 AM.
    Intermediate Level Programmer Extraordinaire

Re: MessageBox That Doesn't Pop Up When Outside the Application

If you display a form then that form will be displayed. If you don't want to display a form then don't. It sounds like what you need to do is to set a flag when your processing is complete and then handle the Activated event of your existing form, test that flag and, if it's set, display your message form then.

The other alternative would be to use a NotifyIcon and display a balloon tip. That way, the user will be notified at the time but the notification won't intrude on whatever else they are doing. In Windows 10, I believe that balloon tips on a NotifyIcon are displayed like standard notifications.

Re: MessageBox That Doesn't Pop Up When Outside the Application

Those are both good ideas, thank you.
    Intermediate Level Programmer Extraordinaire