Thread: [RESOLVED] Registry Name from Handle

Resolved [RESOLVED] Registry Name from Handle

Can we get the registry location key "name" from a hKey that has the registry entry open?

You might ask, "how did we get it open without knowing its name?" But, that's easy. It's another API call that opens the registry entry without knowing its name, specifically SetupDiOpenDevRegKey (and there are probably others as well).

So again, if we've just got hKey, is there a way to get the key's name?

Thanks,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Fanatic Member
    Several projects of mine that used to be posted here can now be found at: https://github.com/PeterSwinkels

Re: Registry Name from Handle

Maybe RegQueryInfoKey? or SHQueryInfoKey?
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...stry-functions

edited: Peter beat me to it
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jul 29th, 2020 at 02:25 PM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

Another possibility might be NtQueryKeyType.

Ok, I'm a bit preoccupied with some other stuff right now, but this looks like good stuff. I'll report back later on whether or not I got this working.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

Here's an example I used some time ago. I also stumbled over the Stackoverflow answer Eduardo referenced.

Note: Calling the function for the opened key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft" returns "\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft". Using the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive instead returns "\REGISTRY\USER\<your SID here>\Software\Microsoft".

Sanity checks omitted for brevity.

Code:
    Private Declare Function NtQueryKey Lib "ntdll.dll" ( _
      ByVal KeyHandle As Long, _
      ByVal KeyInformationClass As Long, _
      ByVal KeyInformation As Long, _
      ByVal Length As Long, _
      ByRef ResultLength As Long _
    ) As Long

Private Const STATUS_SUCCESS          As Long = &H0&
    Private Const STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL As Long = &HC0000023

Private Function GetKeyNameFromHandle(ByVal hKey As Long) As String
      ' now that we've got a handle, let's try to resolve it by calling NtQueryKey
      ' this will retrieve a KEY_NAME_INFORMATION struct which looks suspiciously like a BSTR
      ' typedef struct _KEY_NAME_INFORMATION {
      '   ULONG NameLength;
      '   WCHAR Name[1];
      ' } KEY_NAME_INFORMATION, *PKEY_NAME_INFORMATION;

Dim lLength As Long
      '3 = KeyNameInformation from the KEY_INFORMATION_CLASS enum
      If NtQueryKey(hKey, 3&, 0&, 0&, lLength) = STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL Then
        'now let's prepare a buffer with the correct size ...
        GetKeyNameFromHandle = Space$(lLength \ 2)
        '... and call the API again
        If NtQueryKey(hKey, 3&, StrPtr(GetKeyNameFromHandle) - 4, lLength, lLength) = STATUS_SUCCESS Then
          'possible TODO: format returned string
        End If
      End If
    End Function

PowerPoster

Shouldn't:

Code:
    GetKeyNameFromHandle = Space$(lLength \ 2)
    be:

Code:
    GetKeyNameFromHandle = Space$((lLength - 4) \ 2)
    Instead?

I'd probaby define and use KeyNameInformation too instead of a hard-coded magic number.

Yes, the length field shouldn't be part of the string content. Thanks for pointing that out!

You're right about using magic numbers too. I'd definitely do that in production code.

Ok cool, I just reduced it to the following, and it works perfectly.

Code:

Option Explicit
    '
    Private Declare Function NtQueryKey Lib "ntdll.dll" (ByVal KeyHandle As Long, ByVal KeyInformationClass As Long, ByVal KeyInformation As Long, ByVal Length As Long, ByRef ResultLength As Long) As Long
    '

Public Function KeyNameFromHandle(ByVal hKey As Long) As String
        Const STATUS_SUCCESS            As Long = &H0&
        Const STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL   As Long = &HC0000023
        Const KeyNameInformation        As Long = 3&
        '
        Dim lLength                     As Long
        Dim lStrPtr                     As Long
        '
        If NtQueryKey(hKey, KeyNameInformation, 0&, 0&, lLength) <> STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL Then Error 5&
        KeyNameFromHandle = Space$((lLength - 4&) \ 2&)
        lStrPtr = (StrPtr(KeyNameFromHandle) Xor &H80000000) - 4& Xor &H80000000
        If NtQueryKey(hKey, KeyNameInformation, lStrPtr, lLength, lLength) <> STATUS_SUCCESS Then Error 5&
    End Function

Thanks Everyone,
    Elroy

EDIT: Made it LARGEADDRESSAWARE compatible.
    Last edited by Elroy; Aug 2nd, 2020 at 09:17 AM.

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] Registry Name from Handle

The only thing iffy remaining is doing signed arithmetic in a pointer expression. That's really rarely an issue though in a normal VB program without LARGEADDRESSAWARE linking.

Re: [RESOLVED] Registry Name from Handle

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    The only thing iffy remaining is doing signed arithmetic in a pointer expression. That's really rarely an issue though in a normal VB program without LARGEADDRESSAWARE linking.
    I went ahead and fixed that.