Thread: What Causes This?

Question What Causes This?

I've been getting when I load a .vbp fiIthis every since I installed on Windows 7. So, I got it on 8 and now 10. I can just click it away so because I use VB so seldom nowadays I've just let it go. Now it has me curious. Sometimes I have to click it away more than once.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    VB6 on Windows 10

Re: What Causes This?

We all get these from time to time, but fairly frequently. Basically, it is indicating an add-in didn't quite load up correctly.

Pay attention to the title of the message box, i.e., Visual Component Manager. If that title is for an add-in you use in that project, then close VB and restart it. Otherwise, you can pretty much ignore the message.

FYI. The one add-in I really look for when I get those is the resource editor. If my project is using a resource file and I get that message, lessons learned, close & restart VB. At most, I think I've ever had to restart no more than 3 times to get VB to load without any message box appearing. That particular VCM one, I get quite often
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Thanks for your reply.

I get this message every time I start any .vbp file. The thing I'm currently working on uses no components.
    VB6 on Windows 10

I'll second everything LaVolpe said. I just always click "OK" and ignore it, and I've never had a problem.

In my case, I never keep any add-ins loaded, and I recognize that that's probably not typical.

It's actually been a while since I've seen it, but the one I sometimes get is related to the Data Viewer. That's particularly annoying to me because I never use that VB6 feature (but you can't disable it). One of the things I do though is switch between different version of Word and Excel (and sometimes Access). And doing this somehow tampers with the registration of some component that VB6 uses, and occasionally causes those errors to pop up. However, again, I just always ignore them, and I've never seen any side-effect.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Yes, I've just been clicking it away since Win 7. It has never caused a problem. I just wondered what is was.
    VB6 on Windows 10

PowerPoster

I started getting that random message after I installed Office. Never found a way to get rid of it (only uninstalling Office). Yes, you can ignore it, but still it is quite annoying.

Frenzied Member

It would be good if someone could invent a wee program that we could set to start with windows.
    It can be told what to look for in pop up msgs, and dismisses it for us.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by iamjim View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

I get this message every time I start any .vbp file. The thing I'm currently working on uses no components.
    My guess would be that you do not have VB configured to run as administrator and that is causing the error on startup.

Check the properties of your vb6.exe, compatibility tab and make sure the check box for run as administrator is checked.

Frenzied Member

The thing I'm currently working on uses no components.
    A blank project has a few external components by default. Examine a project file in a text editor or look at the components being used by your project. There are a few you can't even uncheck.
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Jul 28th, 2020 at 11:35 AM.

PowerPoster

The problem does not have to do with:

1) the components that the project uses. (The message appears just opening the IDE with no project)

2) Running the IDE not elevated (it also appears when running elevated)

3) Having add-ins loaded (I don't have any add-in loaded)

I repeat: it is something that Office installs, but I don't know what specifically.
    If anyone has an idea on how this issue can be further investigated, please tell.

The 4 I get most often are all add-ins. 2 are add-ins I use (checked), 2 are add-ins I don't use. I can only guess that VB does some sort of sanity check when it loads that validates the add-ins, whether used or not. That sanity check may be performed simply because it is possible they could be used at any time? I'm trying to recall if I have ever had 2 fail back-back, i.e., 2 message boxes, but not 100% positive it never happened.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    The problem does not have to do with:

1) the components that the project uses. (The message appears just opening the IDE with no project)

2) Running the IDE not elevated (it also appears when running elevated)

3) Having add-ins loaded (I don't have any add-in loaded)

I repeat: it is something that Office installs, but I don't know what specifically.
    If anyone has an idea on how this issue can be further investigated, please tell.
    If you are referring to your own issue on your own device, so be it. But if you are implying that the above post is supposed to apply to everyone that sees this error, then obviously you are wrong. I don't even have Office installed on my VB 6.0 device, and I've seen this error happen from time to time, and in one case it was caused by an Add-in that I had temporarily enabled. I disabled it again and the error was gone.

For your own issue, my suggestion:

-Download Process Monitor
    -Run Process Monitor and make sure it is capturing events
    -Run VB 6.0
    -Let error message show up and leave the error on screen (important)
    -Stop event capturing in Process Monitor
    -Add a filter in Process Monitor for Process Name is VB6.exe
    -Scroll down to the end of the list of events, the cause of the error message should be the last item listed (or at the very least, one of the last few items in the list).

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    obviously you are wrong
    Yes, I mean that it is not caused by add-ins exclusively.
    It is caused by some dll or registry key or "something", but not necessarily because of an add-in (unless there are hidden add-ins that do not appear on the list).

-Download Process Monitor
    -Run Process Monitor and make sure it is capturing events
    -Run VB 6.0
    -Let error message show up and leave the error on screen (important)
    -Stop event capturing in Process Monitor
    -Add a filter in Process Monitor for Process Name is VB6.exe
    -Scroll down to the end of the list of events, the cause of the error message should be the last item listed (or at the very least, one of the last few items in the list).
    Thank you, when I have time I'll check that.

PowerPoster

Yes, I mean that it is not caused by add-ins exclusively.
    It is caused by some dll or registry key or "something", but not necessarily because of an add-in (unless there are hidden add-ins that do not appear on the list).
    Agree 100%. It seems like it is a catch-all error message in some ways. And I remember seeing the same error way back in my college days taking a VB 5.0 class, and one of the fixes we in the class quickly learned was to delete the contents of the temp folder, which fixed it 99% of the time. Hope you can track down the cause on your device.

Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

Hope you can track down the cause
    I renamed DATAVIEW.DLL and it seems gone.
    I can't be sure because the error was random, but I tried like 30 times and it didn't appear again.

...Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\DATAVIEW.DLL

PowerPoster

I can't be sure because the error was random, but I tried like 30 times and it didn't appear again.

...Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\DATAVIEW.DLL
    I can say I'm sure now, renaming that dll was the solution, the message didn't appear again.
    Did you test whether it fixes also the issue with add-ins?

Hyperactive Member

I also had the same problem, I solved it by renaming the file

Greetings
    sorry for using translator

OMFG, so simple!

This mandatory add-in has been vexing me for years but it's time to get control of the IDE back from the "architects" that come up with this "convenience". 10x again!

cheers,
    </wqw>

it's time to get control of the IDE back from the "architects" that come up with this "convenience"
    Most of them are probably retired...
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Frenzied Member

aghhh thanks this has been annoying me for years. I thought it was one of my addins throwing an intermittent error

I added a note about it to my Installing the VB6 IDE on Windows 10 thread.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.