Thread: [RESOLVED] windows 10 is blocking this site

The Idiot

Resolved [RESOLVED] windows 10 is blocking this site

using windows 7, it works, using my iPhone (safari) I can reach it, but my desktop computer with windows 10 is not allowing this site to show, I get "Not Found" (both firefox and edge)
    using a VPN service I can reach this site.
    but why would windows 10 block vbforums.com and how to fix this?
    I have tried:
    reset, flush, unblock restrictions, hosts, firewalls and to check a bunch of settings

but nothing, still the same.
    right now Im using this free VPN service to login and post this message.

Re: windows 10 is blocking this site

the computers with windows 7 and with windows 10 are on the same network? if not it can be a question of proxy
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

I used to be blocked by IP for half an year at least. It resolved on its own when they tweaked the forum software last time.

On the Windows 10 machine you can navigate to http://checkip.dyndns.org/ and post your external IP for admins here to think about what can be blocking you.

cheers,
    </wqw>

It is probably not Windows 10, but more likely the DNS Server that your Windows 10 computer is using that is not blocking, but failing to find this site. You could try changing the DNS Servers to Google's or other free DNS servers to see if that makes a difference.

The Idiot

my windows 7 computer is on another location, so no helping here.

my desktop computer and iPhone is using the same ISP, both connected to my router.
    from my iPhone I can access this forum without problems, but from my desktop computer (windows 10) I can not.
    so it can not be any DNS server/ISP block, otherwise I would get the same issue from my iPhone (that is using wifi of course).

using checkip.dyndns I get the same IP from windows 10 and my iPhone. so it can´t be the IP or the iPhone would also have the same connection issue.

as I mentioned, Firefox and Edge is the same. so it can not be about the browser, but a lower level protection.

using a free VPN service allows me to connect to vbforums from my windows 10.

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    my desktop computer and iPhone is using the same ISP, both connected to my router.
    from my iPhone I can access this forum without problems, but from my desktop computer (windows 10) I can not.
    Your iPhone is falling back to 3G (mobile connection) when wifi/router connection to forum IP is failing so it looks your IP is not blocked on the phone. Remove SIM card and try accessing it if you can.

cheers,
    </wqw>

The Idiot

I have mobiledata disabled. I dont pay for internet on my iPhone.
    So, my iPhone needs wi-fi or I can’t access internet.

using a free VPN service allows me to connect to vbforums from my windows 10.
    When you do this, you are using a different DNS Server - the one that the free VPN service is using.

Enter the following command into a Command Prompt window to find out what DNS Servers your Windows 10 computer is using:

Code:
    ipconfig /all
    Post the results here.

PowerPoster

I doubt it is DNA related. More likely your IP subnet has been blacklisted for abuse.

I've seen bad actors get Google blocked for hundreds of people by webscraping content. If something like that is going on here you might wait months for it to be resolved, but usually those bans only go for a week or two.

The Idiot

how can my iPhone enter the website, using the same IP and the same router but from my desktop computer using windows 10 I can't?
    if its IP blacklisted for abuse, it would stop even my iPhone.

also, I just returned to this apartment, have not used vbforums for 2 months here.
    (that is why I wrote I have another desktop using windows 7 in another location)

Sinecure devotee

Well, the site recently changed to https: so perhaps the Win10 machine has some old cached pages that it is trying to access.
    Perhaps try creating a new user on the Win10 machine, and accessing the site from that user account to see if it is user specific.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

how can my iPhone enter the website, using the same IP and the same router but from my desktop computer using windows 10 I can't?
    Exactly! That would be impossible, so probably your iPhone is not working too. It just *seems* to be working over the same Wi-Fi accessing the site from the same IP. . .

Your hypothesis is equally improbable: It's not possible (very hard) for the site to fingerprint the connection from Windows 10 vs from iPhone. Currently the site is located behind AWS and the endpoint supports TLS 1.0, 1.1 and version 1.2

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/anal...ums.com&latest

cheers,
    </wqw>

The Idiot

I created a new user, and I can login to the site.
    So it seems u are right passel. Now knowing the problem is there a fix for this?

I created a new user, and I can login to the site.
    So it seems u are right passel. Now knowing the problem is there a fix for this?
    Can try clearing browser cookies for [www.]vbforums.com site only.

I've had some sites concatenate random junk to its cookies (due to mostly bugs) reaching *excessive* lengths so that at some point reverse-proxies (so called load-balancers) in front of the site refuse to service any request with such denial-of-service cookies.

cheers,
    </wqw>

The Idiot

it worked, I cleared cookies and I can now login.
    the odd part is the both firefox and edge had the same problem, now trying with edge and I cant login. now clearing cookies in Edge fixed it there as well.
    thanks a lot!
    in the end it was a cookie issue, not windows 10