Thread: Browser jumping

PowerPoster

Browser jumping

I understand when pages are loading there will be some vertical jumping but recently my browser started making large jumps down the page as I'm scrolling and I have to spend a lot of time scrolling up to find where I was. Researched the Chrome browser and found there are flags you can set at Chrome://Flags. Set them but didn't fix the problem. Did more searching but came up empty. So I tried Firefox and Edge, both did the same thing.

Anyone else ever have this problem? Anyone find a fix?

Re: Browser jumping

What method are you using for scrolling? If you are using the mouse wheel, try using the arrow keys or clicking and dragging the scroll bar to see if the results are the same or different. I assume that scrolling in other programs is working OK using the same method you are using for the browsers.

PowerPoster

I use the same method I've always used, either dragging or clicking on the scroll bar, never mouse wheel. It only seem to happen on large pages, Google News, Facebook. Never happens on this site. It's probably because it's loading more information/images but it use to stay fairly close to the same spot when it refreshed.

Many web "pages" these days are set up to only load images once you have scrolled down far enough to see them. This is because otherwise you would need a gigabit internet connection and at least an 8 core Xeon processor with 64 GB of RAM and a 2 TB SSD to get the pages to load all of that junk, end even then, the images and videos coming from ad servers are likely going to download slowly.

An ad blocker and/or a script blocker might improve the scrolling capability, but no guarantees.

Some idiot web designers even set their pages to auto-refresh every 30-60 seconds, so you don't miss anything and get see different ads twice a minute.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Many web "pages" these days are set up to only load images once you have scrolled down far enough to see them. This is because otherwise you would need a gigabit internet connection and at least an 8 core Xeon processor with 64 GB of RAM and a 2 TB SSD to get the pages to load all of that junk, end even then, the images and videos coming from ad servers are likely going to download slowly.

An ad blocker and/or a script blocker might improve the scrolling capability, but no guarantees.

Some idiot web designers even set their pages to auto-refresh every 30-60 seconds, so you don't miss anything and get see different ads twice a minute.
    Yeah I understand. But this just started @ a week ago, same sites I always go to, same machine, same internet speed.

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    same sites I always go to,

Thanks for the reply
    maybe not exactly the same sites, they may have been updated.
    for myself, I have seen this behavior in one case only , when you scroll down and the page is not fully loaded (mostly with pictures or video), so it comes back to the top of the page but it's rare. It may be the same phenomena but with the bottom of the page.

I just remembered an other case when that happened, it was on what I call "neverending" page, you know the page with pictures that load as long as you scroll the page. Sometimes it jumps to the end of the loading area while you are looking at what is just above.
    Last edited by Delaney; Jul 17th, 2020 at 04:04 AM.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

I think JDC2000 hit it....

Nextdoor.com drives me nuts. As I'm scroll down and about ready to read a post.... the screen shifts and an AD shows up....I then have to scroll past it to read what I want.

PowerPoster

maybe not exactly the same sites, they may have been updated.
    That's true. Sort of feel that this jumping down the page started on Google News and FB at the same time but I'm not sure.

Nextdoor.com drives me nuts. As I'm scroll down and about ready to read a post.... the screen shifts and an AD shows up....I then have to scroll past it to read what I want.
    I just noticed that amazingly there are no Ads on the Google News page.

I'm think it does have something to do with the amount of data being loaded and a little jumpyness is common. It's the jumping down the page that is new.

NOW it decides to start acting normally. Last night and today so far, no problem. Maybe all you have to do is ***** and whine a lot. lol

Edit: Didn't know that word wasn't allowed, next time I'll say "female dog"