Thread: Create web app with Asp.Net GUI, using existing VB.Net game core classes

Question Create web app with Asp.Net GUI, using existing VB.Net game core classes

What I need to know, is if it's possible, and how to recreate this GUI in Asp.Net.

Name:  numbers_game_1.png
Views: 595
Size:  8.4 KB

The GUI consists of 11 Labels, a TextBox, 4 Buttons, and an extended PictureBox, and I want to recreate the exact same layout, which when connected to the core game classes, will create an Aspx game that I can embed in an iFrame.
    There's no Login, no external files or database. The desktop version can be found at http://www.scproject.biz/numbers_game.php

Re: Create web app with Asp.Net GUI, using existing VB.Net game core classes

One from the top and five from everywhere else, thanks Rachel.
    The answer, of course, is "yes", it can be done. I'm guessing that you are assuming that to be true and are more interested in the how. That would depend. Are we talking ASP.NET Core and MVC? Text boxes and labels are just input fields and text. For the PictureBox, you could probably find some jQuery plugin or the like that would allow you to draw the clock, if that's what you want, but I'd suggest that loading separate images based on a timer might be a better option. You might also be able to use an animated GIF but I'm not sure whether it's possible stop and start animation.

PowerPoster

Quoting jmc's "quote" for posterity. I assume it won't last long before it is edited out.

One from the top and five from everywhere else, thanks Rachel.
    Always check your clipboard.

I don’t know much about Asp.Net except I found it very difficult to create an interface last time I tried, with a different project. If it’s just html and css, I can probably do that fairly easily with a timer and separate images for the timer...

My desktop version is fairly good OOP. I can easily separate the game core from the GUI

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    Quoting jmc's "quote" for posterity. I assume it won't last long before it is edited out.

Always check your clipboard.
    You seem to be under the impression that I posted the wrong thing. I did not. That was exactly what I intended to post. You may not be familiar with the English quiz/game show Countdown. I don't watch the original version - we have our own version of that here in Australia called "Letters and Numbers", because there was a popular music show called Countdown many years ago - but I'm rather partial to the comedy version that features the crew from 8 Out of 10 Cats (Jimmy Carr, Sean Lock and Jon Richardson). If you like British comedy and, in particular, panel shows then I strongly suggest checking it out. I'm sure that .paul. is familiar with it, being from the UK.

The game shown in post#1 is basically the numbers part of Countdown. There are four large numbers at the top of a grid (25, 50, 75, 100) and a bunch of small numbers below and the contestant asks Rachel Riley for a number of large and small values that she chooses at random from that grid, sets on the board and then the contestants have 30 seconds to come up with a randomly-generated total using basic arithmetic on those numbers. The combination that .paul. showed in that screenshot would be one from the top (one large number) and five from everywhere else (five small numbers).

Quote Originally Posted by .paul. View Post
    I don’t know much about Asp.Net except I found it very difficult to create an interface last time I tried, with a different project. If it’s just html and css, I can probably do that fairly easily with a timer and separate images for the timer...

My desktop version is fairly good OOP. I can easily separate the game core from the GUI
    Building a GUI is certainly a different experience on the web than in Windows. As someone who started out with Windows development but does almost exclusive web work now, I'm well aware of the differences. The fact that the GUI can be on the other side of the world and not in direct contact with the backend after initial display does require a different way of thinking.

What gets displayed in the browser is just HTML and CSS but your application is more than that. In VS 2019, if you create a new VB web application project, you'll then have the choice of selecting Web Forms, MVC or SPA (Single Page Application). Web Forms is the original ASP.NET but is not really promoted by Microsoft these days. It was created to work as much like Windows Forms as possible, so you may feel more at home as a result. That said, I always hated Web Forms, even as a Windows developer. With WPF, Microsoft moved Windows development closer to web development rather than the other way around. Once Microsoft released the MVC framework, web development always felt far more natural to me. For this particular application, you may find that SPA is the best way to go, but that's not something that I've ever actually done myself. Basically, instead of loading different pages or different views from controller actions, you display one page and use JavaScript to alter what it displays based on data from controller actions.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    You seem to be under the impression that I posted the wrong thing. I did not. That was exactly what I intended to post. You may not be familiar with the English quiz/game show Countdown. I don't watch the original version - we have our own version of that here in Australia called "Letters and Numbers", because there was a popular music show called Countdown many years ago - but I'm rather partial to the comedy version that features the crew from 8 Out of 10 Cats (Jimmy Carr, Sean Lock and Jon Richardson). If you like British comedy and, in particular, panel shows then I strongly suggest checking it out. I'm sure that .paul. is familiar with it, being from the UK.

The game shown in post#1 is basically the numbers part of Countdown. There are four large numbers at the top of a grid (25, 50, 75, 100) and a bunch of small numbers below and the contestant asks Rachel Riley for a number of large and small values that she chooses at random from that grid, sets on the board and then the contestants have 30 seconds to come up with a randomly-generated total using basic arithmetic on those numbers. The combination that .paul. showed in that screenshot would be one from the top (one large number) and five from everywhere else (five small numbers).
    Everything that jm said was true.
    I haven’t started yet, I was hoping someone would tell me which type of project to choose. I’ll probably use VS2008 mainly due to restrictive compatibility issues on my site...

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post

LOL. I didn't know the context, mostly just giving you a hard time.

I could tell that there was a chance it was relevant to the question, or my longshot theory was that it was some sort of partial conversation by a person contact tracing their multiple STD's.

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    or my longshot theory was that it was some sort of partial conversation by a person contact tracing their multiple STD's.
    Damn, you saw through my hastily-concocted cover story.

Quote Originally Posted by .paul. View Post
    I’ll probably use VS2008 mainly due to restrictive compatibility issues on my site...
    In that case, Web Forms may be your only viable option. SPA would not be an option at all and MVC would only be supported up to about version 2 or 3 in VS 2008.