Thread: [RESOLVED] Subclassing application

Hyperactive Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Subclassing application

I want to get the text entered in a textbox using subclassing. I also want to get certain other information also using subclassing. Here is my code snippet for subclassing:

Code:
    Public Function MyWndProc(ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal uMsg As Long, ByRef wParam As Long, ByRef lParam As Long, ByRef defCall As Boolean) As Long

Select Case uMsg
       Case WM_CHAR
         '
         ' Here I get text from textbox as Chr(wParam)
         '   

Case WM_COMMAND
         '
         ' I want to capture other events here
         '

End Select
    End Function
      '
      '
    It appears that I cannot do both in the above WndProc because to get text data using WM_CHAR I have to subclass with hWnd = handle of the textbox and to do WM_COMMAND I have to subclass with hWnd = handle of my application.

Is there anyway to have one WndProc and do both

Frenzied Member

Re: Subclassing application

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary Guy View Post
    I want to get the text entered in a textbox using subclassing. I also want to get certain other information also using subclassing. Here is my code snippet for subclassing:

Code:
    Public Function MyWndProc(ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal uMsg As Long, ByRef wParam As Long, ByRef lParam As Long, ByRef defCall As Boolean) As Long

Select Case uMsg
       Case WM_CHAR
         '
         '   

Case WM_COMMAND
         '
         '

End Select
    End Function
      '
      '
    It appears that I cannot do both in the above WndProc because to get text data using WM_CHAR I have to subclass with hWnd = handle of the textbox and to do WM_COMMAND I have to subclass with hWnd = handle of my application.

Is there anyway to have one WndProc and do both

Hello Ordinary Guy,

To better understand your question could you answer a few questions?
    1. What are you trying to do, rather than how you are doing it in code?
    2. Which certain other information are you referring to?
    3. Perhaps you could post more code, as what you have posted isn't even a complete procedure?

Thank you. Yours,
    Peter Swinkels

PowerPoster

You need to subclass both Windows.
    You can use the same procedure to handle both subclassed windows and compare the hWnd parameter to see to which one the message belongs.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Swinkels View Post
    Hello Ordinary Guy,

To better understand your question could you answer a few questions?
    1. What are you trying to do, rather than how you are doing it in code?
    2. Which certain other information are you referring to?
    3. Perhaps you could post more code, as what you have posted isn't even a complete procedure?

Thank you. Yours,
    Peter Swinkels
    Why do you say it is not a complete procedure? A WndProc can be as simple as catching just one WM_ statement or many. My example is complete as possible. Under WM_CHAR is where I capture the text entered in a text box so I don't need to show the underlying code for that and with WM_COMMAND I will capture the menu clicks for one thing and again the code for that isn't necessary to show because it has nothing to do with my request.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    You need to subclass both Windows.
    You can use the same procedure to handle both subclassed windows and compare the hWnd parameter to see to which one the message belongs.
    The problem I have with this is that hWnd will only be either the handle of the textbox or it will be the handle of the application so how can I compare hWnd to anything.

PowerPoster

The problem I have with this is that hWnd will only be either the handle of the textbox or it will be the handle of the application so how can I compare hWnd to anything.
    Using If

Code:
     If hWnd = FormName.TexBoxName.hWnd Then
       Select Case uMsg
         Case WM_CHAR
         '
         '
       End Select
     ElseIf hWnd = FormName.hWnd Then
       Select Case uMsg
         Case WM_COMMAND
         '
         '

End Select
     End If

Hyperactive Member

That's not going to work because you are testing for hWnd and hWnd can only be one of the two handles so it will always be FormName.hWnd or it will be FormName.TexBoxName.hWnd but it will never be both. To start the subclass I use this:

To subclass the app:

Code:
    Private Sub Command1_Click()
     MainOldWindPoc = SetWindowLong(Me.hwnd, GWL_WNDPROC, AddressOf MyWndProc)
    End Sub
    or if I want to subclass the textbox:

Code:
    Private Sub Command2_Click()
     MainOldWindPoc = SetWindowLong(Text1.hwnd, GWL_WNDPROC, AddressOf MyWndProc)
    End Sub
    I can't do it for both at the same time. I have to stop the subclassing and click on the other button

PowerPoster

I can't do it for both at the same time.
    Why not? Yes, you can.

But don't use the same variable MainOldWindPoc for the textbox, use another one.

If using modern subclassing with comctl32.dll vs user32.dll, made subclassing a bit easier

1. You don't need to keep track of "old" window procedures, the dll does that for you

2. An extra parameter is sent to the subclass procedure. You can stuff whatever you want into it and that parameter is per subclassed item

3. But most importantly, you don't need to worry about unsubclassing in any specific order. Typically an issue when a window is subclassed more than once. And it is more possible than you'd think since other code in your project (i.e., compiled usercontrols, etc) may be subclassing without you being aware.

If interested, you can see my subclassing suite I posted in the code bank: https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....re-A-new-breed
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Hyperactive Member

Why not? Yes, you can.

But don't use the same variable MainOldWindPoc for the textbox, use another one.
    OK, I used two WndProc's. One for WM_CHAR and the other for WM_COMMAND.

Code:
    Public Function MyWndProc1(ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal uMsg As Long, ByRef wParam As Long, ByRef lParam As Long, ByRef defCall As Boolean) As Long
     Select Case uMsg
       Case WM_CHAR
         '
         '
         '
     End Select
    End Function
    Code:
    Public Function MyWndProc2(ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal uMsg As Long, ByRef wParam As Long, ByRef lParam As Long, ByRef defCall As Boolean) As Long
     Select Case uMsg
       Case WM_COMMAND
         '
         '
         '
     End Select
    End Function
    It works very nice. I guess from all the replies that I won't be able to use the same WndProc, is that correct

Hyperactive Member

Now I have another question. I'm now going to use this code in another project where I hook into an external process. I use:

hWndApp = FindWindow(vbNullString, "Test App") to get the handle of the other app. This is where I use WM_COMMAND to capture the clicks on the menu items.

For the textbox on the other app I use:

hWndTextbox = FindWindowEx(hWndApp, 0, vbNullString, "SOME TEXT HERE"). This works fine but how would I get the handle of the textbox if it did not have any text in it.

PowerPoster

I guess from all the replies that I won't be able to use the same WndProc, is that correct
    No, that's what I said before, that you can use the same WindowProc if you want. Or you can use two, whatever you prefer.

hWndTextbox = FindWindowEx(hWndApp, 0, vbNullString, "SOME TEXT HERE"). This works fine but how would I get the handle of the textbox if it did not have any text in it.
    Is this other app going to be an app you create and will always be used in your project? Or is the textbox just an example, and you may need to find the hWnd of any control on that other app? More details could be helpful

Oh, BTW, ignore my post regarding that thunk suite -- it is not compatible with DLL injection; not that I have a better idea where this thread is going.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Is this other app going to be an app you create and will always be used in your project? Or is the textbox just an example, and you may need to find the hWnd of any control on that other app? More details could be helpful

Oh, BTW, ignore my post regarding that thunk suite -- it is not compatible with DLL injection; not that I have a better idea where this thread is going.
    The other app is my own for now just so I can test my hooking easier but definitely I will want to hook some other app, Notepad, for example

Hyperactive Member

No, that's what I said before, that you can use the same WindowProc if you want. Or you can use two, whatever you prefer.
    That's fine for subclassing my own app but as stated in post 11 but I'm not sure that will work in the project I making for hooking. I got some code on hooking that I'm making some changes but the hooking code I'm leaving alone since I don't know enough to mess with it. In the hooking project I use this to hook and subclass what ever app I'm hooking:

Code:
    Private Sub cmdHookApp_Click()
     SetSubclass hWndApp, AddressOf MyWndProc1
     SetSubclass hWndTextbox, AddressOf MyWndProc2
    End Sub
    I can't change to code for the SetSubclass. SetSubclass is a function call:

Code:
    Private Declare Function SetSubclass Lib "HookDLL" (ByVal hWnd As Long, ByVal pWndProc As Long) As Boolean
    to SetSubclass in a DLL which has all the hooking code. The code for that function is this:

Code:
    Public Function SetSubclass(ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal pWndProc As Long) As Boolean
     Dim pid As Long
     Dim tid As Long
     Dim hHook As Long

' Check initialization
     If Not isInitialized Then Exit Function

' Get thread identifier
     tid = GetWindowThreadProcessId(hwnd, pid)

If tid = App.ThreadID Then
       'Local
       If SetWindowSubclass(hwnd, pWndProcAddress, pWndProc, ByVal hWndReceiver) Then
         SetSubclass = True
       End If
     Else
       ' Install hook
       hHook = SetWindowsHookEx(WH_CALLWNDPROC, AddressOf CallWndProc, App.hInstance, tid)

If hHook Then
         ' Send message for subclassing
         ' This message will be received in the CallWndProc procedure in the needed process
         SendMessage hwnd, WM_SUBCLASS, hWndReceiver, ByVal pWndProc

' Success
         SetSubclass = True

UnhookWindowsHookEx hHook
       End If
     End If
    End Function
    I don't have any idea how that code works so it is best I leave it as is. Now calling SetSubclass twice with two different handles and two different WndProc's works but I don't know how to call just one SetSubclass and use just one WndProc procedure to handle both WM_CHAR and WM_COMMAND.

Took a little bit to try to find the source for your subclassing, but I found it. A project by "the Trick"

Using the same window procedure shouldn't be that difficult. I see where you are having problems relating one hWnd to another. I think you should have told everyone up front which source code you were using and its location. We could have probably resolved this much earlier...

You are sending to SetSubclass two hWnds. Add a collection to your module and use it as a cross-reference
    Code:
     ' in your module: Public mSubclassKeys As Collection
     ' collection item value of 1 = main app
     ' collection item value of 2 = texbox

Set mSubclassKeys = New Collection
     mSubclassKeys.Add 1, CStr(hWndApp)
     SetSubclass hWndApp, AddressOf MyWndProc
     mSubclassKeys.Add 2, CStr(hWndTextbox)
     SetSubclass hWndTextbox, AddressOf MyWndProc
    End Sub

' in your subclass routine
     Select Case uMsg
       Case WM_CHAR
         If mSubclassKeys(CStr(hWnd)) = 2 Then ' WM_CHAR is for textbox else for app
         '
         '
         End If

Case WM_COMMAND
         If mSubclassKeys(CStr(hWnd)) = 1 Then ' WM_COMMAND is for app else for textbox
         '
         '
         End If

End Select
    End Function
    edited: If you only care to know which hWnd is main app and all others (controls) are treated equally, then the cross-referencing is easier & won't use a collection. This is where I suspect you are headed.
    Code:
     ' in your module: Public mHwndMainApp As Long

mHwndMainApp = hWndApp
     SetSubclass hWndApp, AddressOf MyWndProc
     SetSubclass hWndTextbox, AddressOf MyWndProc
    End Sub

' in your subclass routine
     Select Case uMsg
       Case WM_CHAR
         If hWnd <> mHwndMainApp Then ' WM_CHAR is for some control else for app
         '
         '
         End If

Case WM_COMMAND
         If hWnd = mHwndMainApp Then ' WM_COMMAND is for app else for some control
         '
         '
         End If

End Select
    End Function
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jul 11th, 2020 at 08:35 PM.

PowerPoster

Why try to puppeteer Notepad at all?

It's just a RichEdit control wrapped with some menus as a stand alone program. Just make a Form with a RichTextBox, set that to text-only, and add what little you need in the way of menus.

Far less fiddling, far easier to work with, far more flexible, and far less likely to get your program detected as malware.

Frenzied Member

Why do you say it is not a complete procedure? A WndProc can be as simple as catching just one WM_ statement or many. My example is complete as possible. Under WM_CHAR is where I capture the text entered in a text box so I don't need to show the underlying code for that and with WM_COMMAND I will capture the menu clicks for one thing and again the code for that isn't necessary to show because it has nothing to do with my request.
    Hello Ordinary Guy,

Thank you for your reply. My apologies for my hasty conclusion about your code's completeness. I see you have some placeholders that need to filled in. But, shouldn't proper function procedures always return at least one default value?

yours,
    Peter Swinkels

Hyperactive Member

From post #11

...how would I get the handle of the textbox if it did not have any text in it.
    For my test app I use this:

hWndTextbox = FindWindowEx(hWndTestApp, 0, "ThunderRT6Textbox", vbNullString)

and Notepad I use this:

hWndTextbox = FindWindowEx(hWndNotepad, 0, "Edit", vbNullString)

I got these ClassNames by using Spy++ but isn't there a way to get the handle by doing a mouse down on the textbox

PowerPoster

but isn't there a way to get the handle by doing a mouse down on the textbox
    GetCursorPos and WindowFromPoint and for the mouse down a timer and GetAsyncKeyState.

Here's an option if you want to play with it.
    Test project. Add 1 command button, 1 textbox, 1 picturebox (visible=false)
    add this code
    Code:
    Private Declare Function SetCapture Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal hwnd As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function ReleaseCapture Lib "user32.dll" () As Long
    Private Declare Sub mouse_event Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal dwFlags As Long, ByVal dx As Long, ByVal dy As Long, ByVal cButtons As Long, ByVal dwExtraInfo As Long)
    Private Declare Function WindowFromPoint Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal xPoint As Long, ByVal yPoint As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function GetCursorPos Lib "user32.dll" (ByRef lpPoint As POINTAPI) As Long
    Private Type POINTAPI
        X As Long
        Y As Long
    End Type
    Const MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTDOWN = &H2
    Private Declare Function SetCursor Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal hCursor As Long) As Long

Private Sub Command1_Click()
        If Picture1.MouseIcon.Handle <> 0 Then
            SetCursor Picture1.MouseIcon.Handle
        End If
        SetCapture Picture1.hwnd
        mouse_event MOUSEEVENTF_LEFTDOWN, 0, 0, 0, 0
    End Sub

Private Sub Picture1_KeyDown(KeyCode As Integer, Shift As Integer)
        If KeyCode = vbKeyEscape Then
            ReleaseCapture
            If Picture1.MouseIcon.Handle <> 0 Then SetCursor 0
            Command1.SetFocus
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub Picture1_MouseMove(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
        Dim pt As POINTAPI
        GetCursorPos pt
        Text1.Text = WindowFromPoint(pt.X, pt.Y)
    End Sub

Private Sub Picture1_MouseUp(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)
        Command1.SetFocus
    End Sub
    Click the button, then move the cursor around the screen. To stop the capture, simply click the mouse on the target window. Pressing ESC also stops the capture.

For some added fluff. If the picturebox has its MouseIcon property set, the cursor will use that icon while capture is in play.
    Note: the hidden picturebox is just used for SetCapture, mouse/keyboard events. Any control with an hWnd & those events can be used instead.

Hyperactive Member

Or get creative with a drag-type action like Spy++ does.
    I just now found a VB project in my code collections and it uses an Up Arrow icon which you drag over any window and when you release the drag pointer it gets the handle of that window and prints it in a listbox. It uses the WindowFromPoint API as suggested by Eduardo but it doesn't use GetCursorPos API and the GetAsyncKeyState API. I already made modifications to it to keep the code at a minimum. Looks like a better way to get the handles than looking them up in Spy++

Here's the stripped down code of that project

Code:
    Option Explicit

Private Type POINT
      X As Long
      Y As Long
    End Type

Private Declare Function SetCapture Lib "user32" (ByVal hWnd As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function GetCapture Lib "user32" () As Long
    Private Declare Sub ClientToScreen Lib "user32" (ByVal hWnd As Long, lpPoint As POINT)
    Private Declare Function WindowFromPoint Lib "user32" (ByVal ptY As Long, ByVal ptX As Long) As Long

Public mlngHwndCaptured As Long   ' Holds the handle to the captured window

Private Sub Form_MouseDown(Button%, Shift%, X As Single, Y As Single)
     SetCapture Me.hWnd
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_MouseMove(Button%, Shift%, X As Single, Y As Single)
     Dim pt As POINT  ' Holds the location of the window.

If GetCapture() Then
       ' Convert the current mouse position to Screen coordinates.
       pt.X = CLng(X)
       pt.Y = CLng(Y)

ClientToScreen Me.hWnd, pt

' Pass that value to WindowFromPoint to find out what window we are pointing to.
       mlngHwndCaptured = WindowFromPoint(pt.X, pt.Y)
     End If
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_MouseUp(Button%, Shift%, X As Single, Y As Single)
     If mlngHwndCaptured Then
       List1.AddItem "Window handle = " & mlngHwndCaptured

' Clear our module-level variable
       mlngHwndCaptured = False
     End If
    End Sub

Hyperactive Member

NOTE: I'm wondering if Eduardo's suggestion about using GetCursorPos and GetAsyncKeyState would be a better way to do this. Using the code above I have to mouse down on my Form and then drag the mouse over to the window and then release the mouse pointer to get the handle I want. What would be better would be if I didn't have to drag the mouse pointer; just move it to the window and mouse down/mouse up on the window.

PowerPoster

Perhaps you missed post #21 from LaVolpe, he uses GetCursorPos there.

Hyperactive Member

Yes I did to the post as it now appears but what happened to his post where he states Or get creative with a drag-type action like Spy++ does. which I captured in my post #22. That's what I saw in his post #21

Yes I did to the post as it now appears but what happened to his post where he states Or get creative with a drag-type action like Spy++ does. which I captured in my post #22. That's what I saw in his post #21
    I simply deleted it and wanted to post a sample vs suggestion. In that sample of mine, no dragging is required.

Hyperactive Member

Your sample code works better than the code I posted because there is no dragging involved. Was wondering one thing, however. Is it possible that when I move the cursor over to the other window (textbox) and click it will also cause a normal click on that window so I can just type text into it. As it works now I move the cursor to other window and click to capture the handle but I have to click a second time to activate that window before I can type into it. Would be nice if just one mouse click could handle both situations. Just a thought

Try using SetForegroundWindow API on the target hWnd
    Code:
    Private Declare Function SetForegroundWindow Lib "user32.dll" (ByVal hwnd As Long) As Long

Hyperactive Member

I tried two approaches:

Approach 1

Code:
    Private Sub Picture1_MouseUp(Button As Integer, Shift As Integer, X As Single, Y As Single)

SetForegroundWindow FindWindow(vbNullString, "Test App")

'Command1.SetFocus
    End Sub
    Approach 2

Code:
     Dim pt As POINTAPI

GetCursorPos pt

SetForegroundWindow WindowFromPoint(pt.X, pt.Y)

'Command1.SetFocus
    End Sub
    Both approaches work if I comment out Command1.SetFocus. Approach 2 is better since I don't need to know the Titlebar caption of the other app however when I start my app I do use FindWindow(vbNullString, "Test App") to get the handle of the app so I guess either approach is just as good as the other

Hyperactive Member

Click the button, then move the cursor around the screen. To stop the capture, simply click the mouse on the target window. Pressing ESC also stops the capture.

For some added fluff. If the picturebox has its MouseIcon property set, the cursor will use that icon while capture is in play.
    Note: the hidden picturebox is just used for SetCapture, mouse/keyboard events. Any control with an hWnd & those events can be used instead.
    I see I have to click on the button for each window. Can it be coded to click the button only once

See my reply to your most recent thread on this topic

Hyperactive Member

I'm assuming you are referring to this one