Thread: Using COM from VB6 IDE under Windows 10 has changed

Question Using COM from VB6 IDE under Windows 10 has changed

I write applications in VB6 that connect to running Windows applications using COM. The Windows applications are high end microwave circuit design programs with published COM API's. I connect to a running program that has an open project file. Under WinXP and Win7 I learned the in's and out's of Early and Late Binding, everything worked great. Now with Windows 10 something has changed. When doing development in the VB6 IDE I cannot connect to the running program. No matter what syntax I use for GetObject or CreateObject a new copy of the target application is launched. My compiled programs still work as desired, they connect to the running Windows app. I can work around this. Temporarily modify my code so after the Windows app launches I open a specific project file that I can use for testing. But I would like to understand what has changed.

Re: Using COM from VB6 IDE under Windows 10 has changed

Can you provide more details? Maybe show some code how you were connecting to that other application

Regarding the IDE, if you run your IDE elevated, specifically as administrator, can you connect?
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}