Thread: Got a new computer - password story

Got a new computer - password story

My spacebar went out and rather then play around I bought a new laptop. It is a Lenovo 15" touch screen with a little muscle behind it compared to my last one (that is relative - I'm not a gamer). I've become spoiled on touch screens.

I had to sign in again here with my password and it reminded me of a true story that I may have posted here before. I was working a a contractor and we had major problems going on late one night. A top manager, who was a female, was there along with other managers and us worker bees. A systems programmer was on the phone with the female manager and she asked for my password. I just stared blankly at her her and she repeated, "what is your password?". I meekly, verbally, spelled out, "pssyfrt". The guys all smirked, I don't know what the systems programmers on the other line looked like, and the female manager just looked at me and said "cute".

The next day, because the issue was still active she needed my password again. I spelled out "flowers". She just smiled. That is a true story

For perspective this was about 1989...
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

Re: Got a new computer - password story

LOL. Damn, that's embarrassing.

Thinking about how much things have changed since 1989, I'm actually surprised that there aren't password "rules" where things that are considered "insensitive" or "inappropriate" either aren't allowed or are at least warned about when a password is set...although that's probably coming soon, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    LOL. Damn, that's embarrassing.

Thinking about how much things have changed since 1989, I'm actually surprised that there aren't password "rules" where things that are considered "insensitive" or "inappropriate" either aren't allowed or are at least warned about when a password is set...although that's probably coming soon, I'm sure.
    Then again if the password is never stored in plain text, never written down, and more importantly never shared... Why does it matter?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Then again if the password is never stored in plain text, never written down, and more importantly never shared... Why does it matter?
    Logically, it doesn't, of course. That being said, logic isn't exactly the strong suit of those who want control of all speech and words these days.

It would, however, be another way of wielding power over the masses, which seems to be the goal of those exact same people.

You mean the right wing? They've always wanted to impose control, and not just on speech. They have been losing ground, though, so the only real concern is that they tend to get violent when the don't get their way. Every fringe is like that. When you can't win with words, go to violence.

Still, passwords get exposed plenty, and they reveal plenty of embarrassing stuff. If you would be ashamed if it became public, then you should probably choose a different password.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

You mean the right wing? They've always wanted to impose control, and not just on speech. They have been losing ground, though, so the only real concern is that they tend to get violent when the don't get their way. Every fringe is like that. When you can't win with words, go to violence
    I'd say right, left and middle are all trying to impose control on something. Though I'd have to admit the things that the right are trying to impose control over worry me more than the middle and left. Right and left both go to violence, we've seen riots by both. The middle, not to often. Nothing says democracy like marching around carrying an assault rifle. lol

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    You mean the right wing? They've always wanted to impose control, and not just on speech. They have been losing ground, though, so the only real concern is that they tend to get violent when the don't get their way. Every fringe is like that. When you can't win with words, go to violence.

Still, passwords get exposed plenty, and they reveal plenty of embarrassing stuff. If you would be ashamed if it became public, then you should probably choose a different password.
    Standard.

PowerPoster

Wow, it's like this guy has been reading these threads you keep starting and perpetuating.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Wow, it's like this guy has been reading these threads you keep starting and perpetuating.

OMG.... I've been doing a little research on how to deal with my brother.... He's a master Narcissist

More than once I've sent out my password via IM at work using Microsoft Teams Instant Messaging. We use it constantly and it will have focus with my cursor in it. Next thing I know I've sent it to someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    OMG.... I've been doing a little research on how to deal with my brother.... He's a master Narcissist
    --> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Lu...cissist_(1993)

Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    *snip* I meekly, verbally, spelled out, "pssyfrt". The guys all smirked, I don't know what the systems programmers on the other line looked like, and the female manager just looked at me and said "cute".
    What's there to be embarrassed about?
    I just would have asked everyone: Would anyone of you have guessed it?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Have you guys seriously managed to turn a thread about choice of passwords into yet another talking point for your fictitiously lost freedom of speech? I've never had a an employer care what my password was. I've never had one who knew what my password was.

Tyson, surely the correct response to avoid embarrassment was "Why are you asking me for my password, I can't give you that because of company rules"
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Have you guys seriously managed to turn a thread about choice of passwords into yet another talking point for your fictitiously lost freedom of speech? I've never had a an employer care what my password was. I've never had one who knew what my password was.

Tyson, surely the correct response to avoid embarrassment was "Why are you asking me for my password, I can't give you that because of company rules"
    That just would not have worked. We were in a crisis billing cycle issue and systems support needed my password. I was a contractor and she was the top manager at the time. Back in those days, doing IBM mainframe support, we had what we called "hot IDs". IDs with full production access and quite a few us us had the password. It was needed for emergencies, like fixing a database. Probably unheard of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    I'm related to major narcissist stateside, who's a compulsive liar from hell.

I mostly ignore his facebook posts, like everyone else he's connected to.

I even blocked him from writing on my timeline.

PowerPoster

Sorry, it was mostly just snide on my part.

PowerPoster

Joe Biden’s ‘Ministry of Truth’

The Biden administration’s Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced this week that it has launched what is being dubbed a Disinformation Governance Board to combat “misinformation.”

No, really.

A government agency creating a “ministry of truth” to combat what it deems misinformation?

King of sapila

Yeah of course, I knew about that but if I posted it we would have again, yeah he is doing the right thing, left - right wing blahblahblah.

OK, now time for some mythology lessons.
    Narcissus or Narkissos as properly should have spelled, son of Nymph Urania and river (yep) Kiffisous was a beautiful young man living in Viotia Greece, was cursed to look at his retraction at the water and fall in love with it so he could never stare away, until he died! So are you? Narcissists?

And about the initial post. Personally I am not a security freak, I mean I keep my pass relatively simple, something like "!#@$F234VCCVCVrfer!!α234&%^" ...You notice the α here? If the search is for non standard chars then no one will find the pass, even if it's one letter. Anyhow I had a situation a long time ago as our director was asking me my pass as I was away for vacation and he wanted to print something on my PC tax printer to see what will result. Told him the "poem" he was a little aggravated (remember we are talking about the IT director here!) then I told him I can get in, cuz even away, I got a remote laptop , reset the pass and give the new one to him, do the job and let me reset back.Actually he was occupied with something else after 2 minutes and he forgot to ask me (Imagine how "serious" and time edging was to have my pass). After that I always keep a pass at the office that I can give to him, as I guess he is the only one that may ask again (the others are all admins, so they will never do that), something like abcabc123! So, relatively safe not difficult and not revealing.
    It the office I find users that will often rush to give me the password when I enter remotely to do a task. If they are fast enough, I pretend I did not hear it and let them type it but I hate to be giving advise and say "YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TOLD ME!", i don't know, it kinds of annoy me to be their tutor. I also see some marvels like 123123,12345,surname-surname, again, their neck. I may mention it to an admin in a short of a joke like "You know what Michael has as pass?...Michael" If they want to correct them they may do so.
    Last edited by sapator; May 2nd, 2022 at 10:48 AM. Reason: narcissistic vaxbies.Lol.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Fanatic Member

TysonLPrice, we don't want your password, we want the tech specs of your new toy

Can it run endless loop in less than 6 seconds?

PowerPoster

A government agency creating a “ministry of truth” to combat what it deems misinformation?
    The most annoying thing to me about that article is the media's effort to enflame the public. "Ministry of truth", oh no!!!!

PowerPoster

On-topic reply:

Tyson, it is amazing that you had a real job while still in junior high.

King of sapila

Whada you mean? He is still in high school!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    That's the first time I've ever heard of the BLM and Antifa folks referred to as "right wing."
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

On-Topic reply:
    In the company i work for, i'm the "local" admin of the branch:
    Read:
    User: "My Computer has a Problem"
    Me: "Your computer has two problems: It runs on Windows and yourself"
    User: "?!?!?!"

Anyone want to guess WHY i adore the BOFH?

Now, seriously:
    Every time we get a new employee, i got to do the "introduction" into the "do's and don't's" regarding IT-Infrastructure, ERP and whatnot.

And there is the topic of Passwords.

Me: "I don't care if you give your password to anyone else.
    If you do it, and they do something from your account, and it blows up,
    noone is going to care that you can prove that you've been in Hospital on Tahiti at that time. You're toast!"

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    On-topic reply:

Tyson, it is amazing that you had a real job while still in junior high.
    IT was my second career...I started in 1984 and was thirty.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Zvoni View Post

Me: "I don't care if you give your password to anyone else.
    If you do it, and they do something from your account, and it blows up,
    noone is going to care that you can prove that you've been in Hospital on Tahiti at that time. You're toast!"
    That is a really,really,reeeeally bad tactic to go about.
    You must have know as an admin that this will eventually blow right up on your face and you will be running restore checks for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    That is a really,really,reeeeally bad tactic to go about.
    You must have know as an admin that this will eventually blow right up on your face and you will be running restore checks for a week.

Not in our company. As i said: "local" admin (i'm not a Member of IT-Department).
    I don't even have admin-access to our servers.
    If there is a problem i'm more of a "Translator": Users come to me ("This and this doesn't work"), i translate it for IT ("Check the IP-Address of this and that printer")

EDIT: As of right now (some 30 minutes ago):
    Some 10 Users are getting new Laptops.
    Now the Guy in IT-Department calls in by phone and logs in per TeamViewer on the OLD Laptop (to check what he has to move).
    Instructions from that Guy: Boot the new laptop, BUT DO NOT LOGIN.

Now that guy complains, why this User is installing something on that Laptop (which is at the Login-Screen), COMPLETELY missing that the Installation is done by our SUS-Software ("Matrix42")

Bottom Line:
    That guy copied the image on the new Laptop, gave it to shipping department to send it to us, WITHOUT having booted the new Laptop even once (Check if everything is OK?)

That same guy even complained, how dare a User to be in his Home-Office, when he made an appointment with her to exchange the Laptop, completely missing that she tested Covid-positive.
    Last edited by Zvoni; May 3rd, 2022 at 05:46 AM.

King of sapila

What are your admin people smoking over there?
    TeamViewer for company work laptops?
    That really goes to show that bad practices exist even on the higher level or IT chain.
    Btw we have close to 500 users here and by chance currently 30 people also are getting new computers (real ones, not laaaptops) so I'm getting a new one with w11! I'm so excited!...Like waiting a turd to flash over me. Thankfully my old one will take,errr a couple of years for complete turnover.
    At least it's a new core i7 with 16GB so Visual Studio won't wallop as it does on my current 2013 PC.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    What are your admin people smoking over there?
    TeamViewer for company work laptops?
    That really goes to show that bad practices exist even on the higher level or IT chain.
    Let's just say, that specific guy "enjoys" living in the "ivory tower" (and lets everyone know it.... "Me=Cake, you=crumbs")

When my boss asked me, if i could give him advice on who needs what training, i answered:
    "That Guy in IT needs a Training on the Topic of: "Why to shut up and how to listen properly"...."
    My Boss looked at me too resigned for me to have hope...... alas.... hope dies last.....

btw: i think i really have to read the Bastard Operator From Hell again, just to refresh my memory, so i can answer that guy when he calls next.
    Since i'm 99.9999999% sure he doesn't know the BOFH *evilgrin*

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I can see where Zvoni is coming from. Users sharing personal password doesn't (or shouldn't) represent a risk to the company network because those users shouldn't have enough privileges to do that kind of damage. The risk is more in the realm of sending prank emails or rotating the screen 90 degrees (always a favourite). If personal privileges represent a risk then you've already got problems before the users start sharing them.

That said I do think that IT bods, top to bottom, do have a responsibility to preach good practice whenever they can so you really ought to be telling them not to share and not to set their password to "password".
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

I can see where Zvoni is coming from. Users sharing personal password doesn't (or shouldn't) represent a risk to the company network because those users shouldn't have enough privileges to do that kind of damage.
    Oh per sure but there is always a leak. We had a PC a few years back that was used by the electricians, on a warehouse left alone. They where listening to some mp3 music and whadoyoknow they released a virus that somehow used the PC pass to expand from the USB stick to the local network, passed through to the main network and then engulfed all the networks everywhere. It was a year or so before I came in and that story is told even today as a lesson to "users sharing personal password doesn't (or shouldn't) represent a risk"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter;[URL="tel:5566011"
    5566011[/URL]]I can see where Zvoni is coming from. Users sharing personal password doesn't (or shouldn't) represent a risk to the company network because those users shouldn't have enough privileges to do that kind of damage. The risk is more in the realm of sending prank emails or rotating the screen 90 degrees (always a favourite). If personal privileges represent a risk then you've already got problems before the users start sharing them.

That said I do think that IT bods, top to bottom, do have a responsibility to preach good practice whenever they can so you really ought to be telling them not to share and not to set their password to "password".
    Quote Originally Posted by sapator;[URL="tel:5566023"
    5566023[/URL]]Oh per sure but there is always a leak. We had a PC a few years back that was used by the electricians, on a warehouse left alone. They where listening to some mp3 music and whadoyoknow they released a virus that somehow used the PC pass to expand from the USB stick to the local network, passed through to the main network and then engulfed all the networks everywhere. It was a year or so before I came in and that story is told even today as a lesson to "users sharing personal password doesn't (or shouldn't) represent a risk"
    Fair enough.
    I actually do tell the users that NOT sharing their password is part of the job instructions (and thusly part of their contract).

If they adhere to it, that‘s what i don‘t care about.

King of sapila

Nobody is accusing you btw. I also don't give a rats rataro if they use 123 ....I guess I'm saying that your admin is unbuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator;[URL="tel:5566036"
    5566036[/URL]]...I guess I'm saying that your admin is unbuff.
    Truer words were never spoken….

I can see where Zvoni is coming from. Users sharing personal password doesn't (or shouldn't) represent a risk to the company network because those users shouldn't have enough privileges to do that kind of damage. The risk is more in the realm of sending prank emails or rotating the screen 90 degrees (always a favourite). If personal privileges represent a risk then you've already got problems before the users start sharing them.

It is important to have an audit trail of who did what and when. Especially in financial applications. That is a good reason not to share passwords in day to day business.

King of sapila

That is another thing.
    You can easily log to SAP with your own password and do significant damage. You don't need another's person pass to do so.