Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Still no SSL?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Still no SSL?

Come on guys, its 2020, SSLs are literally FREE. Why is there still no ssl being used?
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

Re: Still no SSL?

Are you doing any monetary transactions behind the scene here that you want to confess too?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Are you doing any monetary transactions behind the scene here that you want to confess too?
    Doesn't SSL help protect login information as well - something that has been compromised by forums before...... ?

Yes indeed Brad, you should most def try and push for a SSL, its free, there's no strings attached!

I believe its "Let's Encrypt" is the service. They even offer a way to automatically renew it, so you never lift a finger.

10-15 years ago, SSLs were a "bank" or rare thing, now its a standard. We are suppose to be "somewhat" professionals? Why in the name of common sense are we not following common practices?

Hopefully this is on the to do list.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

No? I only browse once in a while I am in a Discord server pretty much a full time contributor there.
    SSLs are NOT just for banks and transactions. They are to to encrypt the traffic between the server and client. Login credentials can be "grabbed" during transmission, thats why the last time there was a bunch of our passwords dumped onto a pastebin that it happened. Traffic isn't encrypted. In fact many browsers by default show a "site not secure" warning.

Its kind of easy to figure out why SSLs are important. Google is your friend for research and many articles on the importance.

EDIT: FYI I still am getting the duplicated post error :P

Don't think the powers that be would care about the actual security, however I do know Google has started lowering the priority and giving warnings when accessing a site that has no TLS.

You would think the forum keeping its high ranking on Google would be a priority.

Forums are a dying breed because of the inability to update security rules, while there is still quite of bit of traffic, whos to say in a few years google blocks this site period in search results? Then what happens to the next generation of coders? I guess there is discord communities

Seems like the company that owns this forum their basic static site, is using SSL....

It does seem like an obvious step. Non-SSL is clearly going away. We use SSL on everything, need it or not.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    Doesn't SSL help protect login information as well - something that has been compromised by forums before...... ?
    Yes it does. And luckily NO ONE in their right mind uses the same info on multi sites... So if we saw Bard Jones posting here daily we'd know his account has been compromised

The powers-that-be wrote back and said that the conversion to SSL is being worked on as we speak.

There are some "mixed content errors" that are being fixed on the one guinea pig site. Once they resolve the errors they can do the SSL configuration for the other eight sites.

<<<STAY TUNED>>>

Note that certificates will now expire every year:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-...ate-lifespans/

PowerPoster

I find it highly unlikely that the passwords were acquired by somebody who was tapping logons between users and the site. I begin to doubt that the loud voices above even have a clue how anything works.

I don’t? Ok
    Read this one for ya. Explains everything that “I don’t know”
    https://security.stackexchange.com/q...ssl-connection

The Grand-Dad of the Internet even says use HTTPS from 4 years ago.
    https://blog.mozilla.org/tanvi/2016/...r-http-please/

Dil means that someone compromised the site and got access to the database. From that they got our (I assume hashed) passwords.

People weren't sniffing the login page to get the data.

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    Dil means that someone compromised the site and got access to the database. From that they got our (I assume hashed) passwords.

People weren't sniffing the login page to get the data.
    Yea, but that doesn't defeat the reasons they should be using SSL. Sites with prior attacks usually get targeted again. No SSL just makes it that much easier to complete.

The funniest part is people hack and paste passwords in like a pastebin, they do it for fun, sometimes they dont even do it for malicious purposes. But, again, the idea is prevention.

Also the fact the forum is using a very outdated version of vbulletin prob wont help either.

Well, pretty soon, I may not be able to access the site - at least from work. They're taking cyber security more seriously, and with us doing gov't work, rightfully so... pretty soon a new policy will be pushed out restricting access to http sites.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by jdc20181 View Post
    Also the fact the forum is using a very outdated version of vbulletin prob wont help either.
    Especially since, if we are using 4.2.5 like Steve said here, it has been EOL since end of 2017.

And if its the cost they have a problem with, they aren't really making money off this site? other than from ads, so they could easily just go to an open source alternative, like Discourse, its modern, clean and very well maintained.

The powers-that-be wrote back and said that the conversion to SSL is being worked on as we speak.

There are some "mixed content errors" that are being fixed on the one guinea pig site. Once they resolve the errors they can do the SSL configuration for the other eight sites.

<<<STAY TUNED>>>
    I think some of you missed this post.

The highlight-> "The conversion to SSL is being worked on as we speak."

And for an update - one sister site down - 8 more to go.

So RELAX

O-M-G Say it ain't so

BUT - maybe one of you experts can explain:

The Main Forum page here is SECURE.
    Drilling down into a section of the site like Feedback is SECURE.
    Drilling down into a thread shows the Not Secure.....even though the url shows HTTPS.

It isn't secure because there is mixed content on the page.. some of the stuff is being loaded up with http instead of https.

Looks like it is this:

http://www.vbforums.com/images/edito....gif?t=B8DJ5M3

and on the same note: wooooo!

Still... it's a step forward...

Or is it a jump to the left?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

The developers wrote back.... They aren't finished. My Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Pretty soon a new policy will be pushed out restricting access to http sites.
    This is the biggest reason companies need to go Https. Browsers and companies are flagging sites. At some point they will start blocking.

Cool to hear that it is (finally) being added. (And yeah, posts two days in a row. Was my account hacked.... )

Yes it does. And luckily NO ONE in their right mind uses the same info on multi sites... So if we saw Bard Jones posting here daily we'd know his account has been compromised
    Or he's in his minstrel cycle.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

The developers wrote back.... They aren't finished. My Bad.
    You mean they didn't reply back with "Works fine on my machine." ?? Amateurs...

-tg

Not to be a smart ass... But @Steve, Web Development is just like .NET Development, there is a thing called Debugging. As KFC Pointed out its because of mixed content, if you are using Chrome, or the new Edge (That is using Chromium) and open up console, there is a tab called "Security" - Here is what I found - only one seems to be causing the issue.
    looks like its the Favicon giving the issues - http://www.vbforums.com/favicon.ico
    Attachment 177899
    Last edited by jdc20181; Jul 11th, 2020 at 11:30 AM.

Works fine on my machine.

seems to still be happening for me, but I can prob try a data dump and see what happens

Re: [RESOLVED] Still no SSL?

Name:  6c68c30503f4aa0e3bf6db5d8c0bde67.png
Views: 506
Size:  26.1 KB

jdc20181 - is there any chance you can take a CHILL PILL

Please wait till you see "ME" type out the words - COME AND GET IT!!!!!

That will tell you and others that the developers are done with the conversion AND that they'd like any feedback we have.

PowerPoster

This is a silly thing to spend time on. Nobody is spying on your logon in order to get your password. When they want passwords they just trick the server into delivering the entire list.

Spend more time fixing broken stuff like attachments instead.

Um.... this was kind of meant as a joke based on the previous posts..... Sorry someone took me seriously. I'll refrain from joking (in this thread) going forward....

UPDATE - this thread that everyone is reading right now shows to be NOT SECURE.

There are two members that have posted in this thread that have HTTP links within their signature. Those links are the cause.

Also if someone linked to an image on a site that is HTTP, that too would cause the issue.

These types of issues can't be/won't be corrected.

There are two members that have posted in this thread that have HTTP links within their signature. Those links are the cause.

Also if someone linked to an image on a site that is HTTP, that too would cause the issue.
    Linking an image is correct, but your first point is not. Having an anchor on the page that is HTTP will not result in a not-secure error.

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    Linking an image is correct, but your first point is not. Having an anchor on the page that is HTTP will not result in a not-secure error.
    Great. Can you explain why this thread is Not Secure?

Must have been fixed... I'm showing that this thread is now secured...

-tg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast