Thread: Help! WebBrowser control cannot display webpage

Lively Member

Help! WebBrowser control cannot display webpage

My VB6 development environment is an old Windows XP machine (don't laugh). One day I began to have a problem with the WebBrowser control being unable to display the webpage at https://www.medi-cal.ca.gov. It's saying "This program cannot display the webpage". How do I fix this?

I am using IE 8 in this machine. Is it simply too old to be compatible with the webpage? The same thing happens when I try to browse the webpage using IE 8 directly. It says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

I hope someone could help me, please. Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PowerPoster

Re: Help! WebBrowser control cannot display webpage

there are many sights that can no longer be accessed with xp internet explorer browser
    you may be forced to update, like it or not
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

Hyperactive Member

I'm on XP. You can access it with Chrome but that won't do your VB program any good

Lively Member

Oh my, this sucks.

Is there any browser control other than IE that is updated and can be used with VB6?

Or how about an IE hack that can make it compatible with the website?
    Last edited by mtl777; Jul 7th, 2020 at 12:21 PM.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
    Oh my, this sucks.

Is there any browser control other than IE that is updated and can be used with VB6?

Or how about an IE hack that can make it compatible with the website?
    Not sure but I think somewhere is a post here someone said there's a control that uses Chrome. Might want to do a search here and also on Google

PowerPoster

there is a firefox control, but it is old, not secure, no longer updated and didn't work too good when it was current

the latest version of internet explorer that can run on xp will not load many websites, including all of microsoft,.com
    chrome no longer supports xp
    firefox latest version that runs on xp is ESR or something and is no longer supported and has not been updated at all for a around a couple of years now, also has issues if you open too many windows

while vb6 can still run fine on xp, if you need to do web scraping or use a browser control, i believe your only option is to update to a later version of windows
    while i still use some xp machines for day to day use, i had to update more than 2 years ago for any vb6 programming that used web interaction
    some website manipulation written and working on an xp machine, will give errors when run on a machine with a later version of windows
    security of older machines is also an issue to be considered
    it seems pointless to upgrade to w7 or w8 now, as they are both getting near to end of service life
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

pete

Lively Member

Yes, that's right - and the sad truth. I guess I'll have to upgrade now. The thing is, I don't have the VB6 installers anymore. Do you know where I can download the latest VB6 version, service pack and MDAC?

Thanks!

PowerPoster

plenty threads here with link to service pack 6, but vb6 is not a free download, you may need to try to purchase a used copy from somewhere, no longer available from microsoft

pete

PowerPoster

MDAC is not required, newer versions are on all modern Windows OS even as far back as XP. You can download the VB installers from MS or at least you could last I checked but only if you have a subscription. The subscription is pricey, not bad if you use multiple MS products and make money off them but for VB6 alone is not worth it. You can find copies on E-Bay and perhaps other sites with various prices but any free download you see is not legit and could possibly land you into trouble.

If you are looking for free and support for newer things then you should download the free version of a later version of VB.

Lively Member

Thank you so much, everyone! I was wishing for an IE hack but I guess that's not possible. So I will have to go through the nightmare of upgrading. My apps are still using Crystal Reports 8.5 but I've lost the installer for that one too, as well as other components that may be hard to find now. That is what I was afraid of and was trying to avoid. But I have to accept the sad truth. Thank you for leading me into the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    If you are looking for free and support for newer things then you should download the free version of a later version of VB.
    What is this later version of VB that is free? A URL would help.

PowerPoster

i believe all versions of vb.net have a free to download and use version, probably just get the latest, i did have a go with 2015, i found it struggle, but many thousands of others are using it
    i am sure google will provide you with a microsoft download link

pete

Lively Member

Oh, it's VB.net. Thank you.