Thread: How to resolve this error.

How to resolve this error.

I'm new for VS 2019. In my program, I'm getting error 5. Pls help to resolve it. I've attached the sample screen shot for ready reference.
    Name:  Error1_5.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  32.9 KBName:  Error1_5a.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  32.1 KB
    Last edited by ng.spectsoft; Jul 5th, 2020 at 10:28 AM.

Re: How to resolve this error.

Hello,

We cannot read you screen shot. Please copy/paste the error text and give us the (enough) code where the error happens.

regards
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by ng.spectsoft View Post
    The attachments won't load.

We don't need an image of your entire screen to read a small error message in the middle. Use your head. Windows 10 has a two screen-snipping tools to let you copy an arbitrary section of screen. Learn to use one. Even better, an error message is text so post it as test. That way, we can copy and paste it if we need to. It's up to you to make it as easy as possible for us to help you. If we have to work for the privilege, we'll lose interest fairly quickly. You might also try providing a title that describes the issue. The title you provided could apply to thousands of thread on this site.

As I explained, I'm beginner for VS 2019 & of course, new to this forum. I revised the attachments. Pls. help.

Frenzied Member

I'm new for VS 2019. In my program, I'm getting error 5. Pls help to resolve it. I've attached the sample screen shot for ready reference.
    Name:  Error1_5.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  32.9 KBName:  Error1_5a.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  32.1 KB
    You have not told us what you want to accomplish but what obstacle you found.

Based on that error message, you are trying to use an ActiveX control or other COM component that isn't registered on your machine. As you haven't actually explained what you're doing, we can't really say anything more.

In my application, I've 2 forms. First is Main Menu (MDI Parent) & 2nd is Parameter Form (MDI Chield). During execution, when I Select the Parameter form, I'm getting the above attached error messages.

As I said, there's an issue with a control or component that isn't registered on that machine. Currently, you're the only one who knows what controls and components you're using on that form.

I get that you're new to programming but you're not new to computers or the internet so you can apply some common sense here. Put some thought into what your question looks like to someone with no prior experience of, or access to, your project. Think about what information we might need to diagnose the issue and what we don't need, then provide the former and not the latter.

You are unlikely to have added a COM component entirely by accident. You may not have realized it was COM, but you added it. It could be some third party control, it could be something you added as an explicit COM reference, or it could be something you found on the web, possibly referencing some common VB6 control like a flex grid, or a database access mechanism like ADO or DAO.

There's no generic solution, though. This has to do with something you added to the project, and only you know that.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Dear Shaggy,

First of all, I would convey you thanks that first time I got some some technical response. I've made my mind that this forum doesn't possesses that, otherwise, as the other response I've received. I've not expected such senseless responses those I've received. Which you can observe from my post easily.

Any way, as I said, I'm new to the VB 2019, I downloaded community version (vs_community__433194754.1593179091) from Microsoft site and installed on my PC. Created new project with TWO forms. ONE as Main Form (MDI Parent) & SECOND as Parameter Form (MDI Child). In parameter form, I've used the following components:
    1. SaveFileDialog (System.Windows.Forms.SaveFileDialog)
    2. StatusStrip (System.Windows.Forms.StatusStrip)
    3. OpenFileDialog (System.Windows.Forms.OpenFile.Dialog)
    4. BackgroundWorker (System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker)
    I believe, above said components are default components. Kindly guide, if any steps are left out.

PowerPoster

Did you try to Google search for that CLSID? If not, you should have.

I did search for it. Numerous references to something called SQLDMO.dll. Does that sound like something your project is using?

I hope this isn't a "senseless response".

PowerPoster

Dear Shaggy,

First of all, I would convey you thanks that first time I got some some technical response. I've made my mind that this forum doesn't possesses that, otherwise, as the other response I've received. I've not expected such senseless responses those I've received. Which you can observe from my post easily.

Any way, as I said, I'm new to the VB 2019, I downloaded community version (vs_community__433194754.1593179091) from Microsoft site and installed on my PC. Created new project with TWO forms. ONE as Main Form (MDI Parent) & SECOND as Parameter Form (MDI Child). In parameter form, I've used the following components:
    1. SaveFileDialog (System.Windows.Forms.SaveFileDialog)
    2. StatusStrip (System.Windows.Forms.StatusStrip)
    3. OpenFileDialog (System.Windows.Forms.OpenFile.Dialog)
    4. BackgroundWorker (System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker)
    I believe, above said components are default components. Kindly guide, if any steps are left out.
    Well that helps.

when I Select the Parameter form, I'm getting the above attached error messages.
    Do you mean when you try to open/display the Parameter form you immediately get the error? Or does the form display and then you get the error?

You should post your code that displays the Parameter form and causes the error. Have you found the actual line of code that throws the error? If so tell us.

Lastly, people on this forum have been helping people for many years. Your new to VB and new to this forum do you really think your qualified to tell people their response is senseless. Maybe try listening to what some of the best VB programmers (I learn from them on a daily basis) are saying and do what they suggest. Or don't your choice.

Dear OptionBase1,

Yes !! I'm using SQLDMO.dll in my project. & of course, that comment was not for all. It was for specific word used on one response.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Well that helps.

Do you mean when you try to open/display the Parameter form you immediately get the error? Or does the form display and then you get the error?

You should post your code that displays the Parameter form and causes the error. Have you found the actual line of code that throws the error? If so tell us.

Lastly, people on this forum have been helping people for many years. Your new to VB and new to this forum do you really think your qualified to tell people their response is senseless. Maybe try listening to what some of the best VB programmers (I learn from them on a daily basis) are saying and do what they suggest. Or don't your choice.
    Yes. When I open/display the Parameter Form, immediately this messages pops-up. The actual line of code that throw the error could not found.
    Pls can you guide, how to debug code line-by-line, that we use to do in VB6 ?

Yes. I appreciate the help / response received from you all, except the first one.

I'm using SQLDMO.dll in my project.
    You almost certainly should not be doing that. SQLDMO was superseded by SMO several years ago. That said, maybe SQLDMO is required if you're using a fairly old version of SQL Server. The fact that the error message says that it's not installed suggests that either you don't have SQL Server installed on the machine running the app at all or you have a newer version that doesn't include SQLDMO.

PowerPoster

Yes. When I open/display the Parameter Form, immediately this messages pops-up. The actual line of code that throw the error could not found.
    Pls can you guide, how to debug code line-by-line, that we use to do in VB6 ?
    Usually when there is an error, the code window opens and the line causing the error is highlighted in yellow. If the problem code is inside a Try/Catch that won't happen but you can comment out the Try/Catch and then the problem line of will be shown. If this is not the situation then yoou should be able to use the debugger to step through the code. Debug should be a menu choice on the top toolbar. As I said before you should post the code that calls/displays the Parameter form, also the code in the Parameter form load/shown/paint ... events. The more information you provide the more likely someone can help.

The more information you provide the more likely someone can help.
    Don't be so mean.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Don't be so mean.
    Watch it or I'll be coming after you next.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    You almost certainly should not be doing that. SQLDMO was superseded by SMO several years ago. That said, maybe SQLDMO is required if you're using a fairly old version of SQL Server. The fact that the error message says that it's not installed suggests that either you don't have SQL Server installed on the machine running the app at all or you have a newer version that doesn't include SQLDMO.
    It's worth noting that, if I'm not mistaken, SQLDMO is COM-based, hence the COM-related error message, while SMO is .NET-based. It is pretty much always preferable to use managed components if possible.

Frenzied Member

Well that helps.

Helping for years does not guarantee perfect responses. However it is a good idea to listen to more experienced people. If you want something done.

Dear Shaggy,

No, it was not. It may have taken a different tack, but it was the same information you had been given earlier. I couldn't read those original posts any better than anybody else could...and probably worse, since my eyes aren't what they used to be. The point behind the forum is to work towards an answer through conversation. If you have a specific question, it is very often the case that you have the wrong question. After all, if you have a question then there is something you don't understand (otherwise...no question). Not understanding something is sometimes about not having the right information, but very often it is about having the right information, but seeing it the wrong way. In that case, an answer won't help, because you'd be given something you already have. Instead, it's a matter of working from where you think you should be to where you actually should be, which is what the conversation is about. If you know the right question to ask, then there are probably better places to ask it. In this case, you're mostly fighting with yourself, which is normally the case when the question boils down to a matter of perspective.

Consider that there still isn't enough information in this whole thread to give you a definitive answer to the original question. At first we couldn't read the error, which is a quirk in the forum software that messes with pictures. Then, once we knew the error message, it became clear that it was 'a missing COM component', but only you knew what components you were using, and whether they were COM. With that answered, then it focuses down on one particular component, but as JMC pointed out, there are a couple ways that could be the issue, and most of the time it is not the ultimate problem. If you HAVE to use that component due to some ancient version of SQL Server requiring it, then you have to use it. Otherwise, you shouldn't be using that at all, which gets back to the matter of perspective. You aren't using it by accident, you have a reason. The reason may be a mental error. It may not, too, but it seems likely, especially since you talked about the matter of dealing with bugs and VB6. That IDE had a bug in it that could result in the code you were stepping through not matching the code that would be executed if you weren't stepping through it. In other words, the IDE could mislead you about what it was doing. The modern IDE gives you far more tools to work with for debugging. Too many, really, because you can get snowed under with options, these days. High versatility <> high usability, in all cases.

So, my answer was not all that good, nor all that useful. It added nothing new, it was just intended to approach the same answer from a different angle. The reason for doing that was because you were fighting with yourself, and needed to see the problem from a different perspective if you wanted to solve it. That's the point of the forum. The conversation may solve the ultimate problem even if any one answer does not. For example, I delete about 80% of threads I start, and I delete them before I post them. The very act of explaining the problem clearly shows me the solution, which was always because I wasn't looking at the problem correctly.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing