Thread: What is more appropriate?

Addicted Member

What is more appropriate?

Hello,

I want to develop an application and I need your advice what is the best approach for this.

Consider a very simple application:

The user will browse to a website where he/she must use user and password to login. Inside the page, he/she has a very simple database with a name and a phone number that can access.

Of course, my app is much more complex than this but these are the basic actions that will be used, plus some basic mathematical calculations. I already have my app that runs local and is used by the entire company, and now I want to migrate it to a web-based application. I wrote it in Visual Basic 2010, it uses .mdb databases over the company network and it works excellent.

I am very familiar with HTML, more than intermediate in Visual Basic, a little SQL and very good at .mdb databases.

My question to you is: what should I learn in order to accomplish this task? Should I use php, java, asp, etc.... What do you think I have to know in order to develop this?

Please note that I am not a professional programmer, this is just a very big hobby for me.

Thank you.

PS: if this is the wrong place to post this thread, please move it to a more appropriate location.

Re: What is more appropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by ovi_gm View Post
    My question to you is: what should I learn in order to accomplish this task? Should I use php, java, asp, etc.... What do you think I have to know in order to develop this?
    You've posted in an ASP.NET forum so the answer is obviously ASP.NET. You can use any web-based technology you want that can do the job - it's for us to tell you which to choose. ASP.NET will get the job done so, as an ASP.NET developer myself, I have no hesitation recommending it. You should be looking at ASP.NET Core as a first option and then probably .NET Core if you can, otherwise .NET Framework. Those choices are more about initial configuration than the actual development, which will be mostly the same regardless. You'll end up creating an MVC application where the views are Razor pages. HTML knowledge will help you there and you'll need to be au fait with JavaScript too. For the database, you'd probably use SQL Server or MySQL on a web server. In theory you could use an MDB file but it's not recommended. Just check what the VB support is like in ASP.NET Core first though. I've only ever used C# in that context so I'm not sure whether VB is fully supported.

Addicted Member

Ok. Thank you for the advice. I was wondering if php would be a better place to start. My intuition says that indeed ASP is the way to go.

I created a "Hello World" and a button on a new page. It goes pretty easy. Now I will have to go deeper in to it. Regarding the webpage design... how does it go?

As far as I can see you can't design the page directly in visual studio. If you could just elaborate (in a very simple way) what would be the steps? Do I design the website in HTML? Where and how do I insert my codes?

How does the design and code go together?

There is no visual designer. You build your views using Razor syntax. I suggest that you start here:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/apps/aspnet/mvc

Addicted Member

Ok. Thx.