Thread: Random Password Generator

Random Password Generator

Hi,
    This is a password generator I made a few months back with the help of a friend who added a few featires. it contains many options skins and more hope you like it.

Name:  logo.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  50.7 KB

Download Source Code:
    PwsGenStd.zip

Hyperactive Member

Re: Random Password Generator

very good work
    Greetings

Thanks yokesee glad you like it

Awesome work.

**Links removed by Site Administrator so it doesn't look like you're spamming us. Please don't post them again.**

I'm sure your app there is fine and dandy and all that (it does look slick and has some nifty options), but I'm going to rain on your parade a bit here...

Bleh. I dislike "random" generators like that. They never create anything I can remember. It's also been proven that they can be broken using brute force fairly simply (may take a while, but it'll get there eventually). Now... Pass Phrases... that's where it's really at. I have a generator that I wrote in .NET (I need to update it to .NET Core so I can use it again)... that took three word files (color, animal, adjective/adverb), randomly pulled from a word from each one, and created a random number. Based on the numbers of words in each file, and the number combinations, the number of combinations possible exceeded the values of a long integer. And that's before capital variations are added, or even changing the word/number order. It also creates a phrase I will easily remember. I usually have it list out 25, and I'll pick from that. 5 minutes after I've changed my password, I've memorized my new password, forgotten the old one, and it's completely secured. And for those overly needly systems that insist that I have a special character in it... fiiiiine... I'll stuff one in there at some point.

Just something for you to think about.

-tg

Addendum: This is also why I *never* use the "suggested" passwords from google, lastpass, vault, chrome, firefox, or any other password management system.
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Well, since Techgnome started it, I'll jump in too.

I took a look and you're just using the algorithmic Rnd function. You are calling Randomize each time you call Rnd, which gives it a new seed (based on system timer), but Rnd still doesn't produce a truly random number. As such, with enough work, these passwords could be calculated.

Alternatively, you should be calling one of the Windows API random string calls, such as CryptGenRandom or one of the newer one. These calls use a combination of outside stimuli (such as CPU temperature, keystroke timings, etc) to produce their random numbers. Going to the "outside world" and getting something with truly stochastic features is the only way to produce truly random numbers.

Just Saying,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Hyperactive Member

Just use a password manager with autofill and be done with this madness for good

PowerPoster

Some of you seem to be forgetting the fact that many passwords that get generated are not at all for (semi)-permanent personal use. IT support people need to assign temporary passwords to new accounts or accounts with forgotten passwords all the time, and oftentimes those passwords need to adhere to a variety password requirements depending on the specific system in use.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    Some of you seem to be forgetting the fact that many passwords that get generated are not at all for (semi)-permanent personal use. IT support people need to assign temporary passwords to new accounts or accounts with forgotten passwords all the time, and oftentimes those passwords need to adhere to a variety password requirements depending on the specific system in use.
    Every password manager I've used has tons of options on how to generate. Even the defaults are sane enough for most systems.