Thread: Why is my MS Access database often corrupted?

Why is my MS Access database often corrupted?

Every time it corrupted I do "compact and repair database" in MS Access. After it is repaired there are some records replaced with other characters (e.g. #####) the whole row of it. I delete the rows with that characters immediately so that it won't affect other records.What are some possible reasons why it is corrupted? Do you have any idea or suggestion about the MS Access database corruption.

Re: Why is my MS Access database often corrupted?

I gave up on MS Access once I tried loading large amounts of data to it quickly it would always corrupt. It seemed to be around handling of large amounts of data
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

There are various potential causes, such as:
    • The file is large (probably over 1 GB)
    • The file is being used by multiple users and/or programs at the same time
    • The file is stored on a network, rather than on the machine that is using it
    • It has been a long time since the last "compact and repair" (it should be done reasonably regularly)

For several of the causes the best option is to move to a different database system, possibly SQL Server or SQLite. Which one(s) are likely to be best for you depend on your usage.

Quote Originally Posted by ronelpisan View Post
    Every time it corrupted I do "compact and repair database" in MS Access. After it is repaired there are some records replaced with other characters (e.g. #####) the whole row of it. I delete the rows with that characters immediately so that it won't affect other records.What are some possible reasons why it is corrupted? Do you have any idea or suggestion about the MS Access database corruption.
    you have some Delete Function that is not closed(Disposed) properly
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

I know that you have tried to compact and repair which is a great utility and after reading the comments I can conclude that the utility has failed to solve the issue. Here is a workaround which can use to regain your valuable data.
    Though the ‘Compact’ feature is used to help you to reduce the size of the database by eliminating the unused space. On the other hand, the ‘Repair’ function helps in fixing minor corruption issues in the database files.

At times, the utility fails to fix the issues with the database file ,When such a situation arises, you can look for an alternate solution [https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...rum=accessdev] to repair your corrupt or damaged MS Access database file

There are several basic reason of MS Access Database File corruption like

• Built-in wizards utility.accda file remove/relocate at another location
    • Database file corrupted due to user or hardware fault
    • Jet bug and software conflicts

In all the conditions, you can follow these steps:

• If the access database is open, close it.
    • Open Tools menu >> Database Utilities >> click Compact and Repair Database.
    • In the Database to Compact From dialog box, select the file that you want to compact >> click Compact.
    • In the Compact Database Into dialog box >> new file name >> click Save.

If you have no clue how to do it, you can read this blog and follow then given instructions:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...2-85fa9f4005b2
    Last edited by si_the_geek; May 13th, 2022 at 10:34 AM.