Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will China be banned from using Windows or other American software?

PowerPoster

Will China be banned from using Windows or other American software?

Today, several military-related universities in China have been banned from using MATLAB because they have entered the sanctions list of the US government. I'm wondering whether the US government will ban Chinese people from using Windows or other US software, such as MSSQLServer, Oracle, etc.

Of course, my biggest worry is whether I can continue to use VB6.

Edit:
    The software developer/supplier of MATLAB is the American company MathWorks.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Jun 13th, 2020 at 02:28 AM.

Hyperactive Member

Re: Will China be banned from using Windows, VB6 or other American software?

Another reasons why we should all be choosing tools that are open source. It provides ample protection against men who wear orange makeup and have bad combovers.

PowerPoster

If you have a Windows machine with a valid copy of VB6 on it how could anyone stop you from using it? Someone going to kick down your door and erase your hard drive. lol

I don't know anything about MATLAB, who banned the use of MATLAB? China, MATLAB, US? If it's China then you would know more than a non Chinese person, I would think.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DllHell View Post
    Another reasons why we should all be choosing tools that are open source. It provides ample protection against men who wear orange makeup and have bad combovers.
    Yes, what you said makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    If you have a Windows machine with a valid copy of VB6 on it how could anyone stop you from using it? Someone going to kick down your door and erase your hard drive. lol

I don't know anything about MATLAB, who banned the use of MATLAB? China, MATLAB, US? If it's China then you would know more than a non Chinese person, I would think.
    The software developer/supplier of MATLAB is the American company MathWorks. The US government bans Chinese military-related universities and research institutions from using US software. Therefore, MathWorks canceled the software authorization of these Chinese universities without any warning. The students of these universities have not been able to log in to the relevant accounts since yesterday.

I don't know if this is reasonable behavior, or whether it is smart behavior. The current US government always makes some very strange actions.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Jun 11th, 2020 at 10:50 PM.

PowerPoster

The US government bans Chinese military-related universities and research institutions from using US software.
    That's interesting, never heard of such a thing. Is MATLAB an online software package? If it's a software package that is bought and installed then I don't see how they can cancel the use. They could not renew the license but it can't be canceled. Don't think MathWorks is going to be happy about it either.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I'm not clear, has the ban come from the Chinese government or from the US government? I could understand if it came from the Chinese government (a mix of security concerns and a tit-for-tat over the whole Huawei debacle) but it's hard to see any motivation for the US government to do this beyond sheer spite (which, I guess, yeah). Surely this would simply be a lost export.

Edit> It is indeed the US government. Well that's just weird. To be fair, it's actually a ban on all transactions with the US so it operates as a sort of sanction list but I'm struggling to see how the US gains from this. Perhaps there's some history as to why those institution are on the Entity list that I'm missing. Anyone got any info on that?
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Jun 12th, 2020 at 01:51 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    That's interesting, never heard of such a thing.
    Most Americans are not interested in these things, so they don't know that the US government often makes very strange actions, especially the current US government. The reason why these actions are strange is that the actions of the US government completely failed to achieve their goals, but instead damaged the interests of US companies.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Edit> It is indeed the US government. Well that's just weird. To be fair, it's actually a ban on all transactions with the US so it operates as a sort of sanction list but I'm struggling to see how the US gains from this. Perhaps there's some history as to why those institution are on the Entity list that I'm missing. Anyone got any info on that?
    No need to know more detailed information. Because the US government issued another sanctions order: sanctions against officials of the International Military Tribunal, because some people in this military tribunal participated in the investigation of US actions in the Afghan war.

In addition, the United States will also sanction those Hong Kong police and government officials who have stopped or will prevent Hong Kong youth riots. Perhaps one day, the US government will sanction China’s national leader Xi Jinping.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Jun 12th, 2020 at 03:48 AM.

PowerPoster

I'm thinking, what would happen if the United States completely cut off China's Internet or forcefully uninstalled all Win10 of Chinese users in a remote way (from MS cloud server)?

Quote Originally Posted by dreammanor View Post
    No need to know more detailed information. Because the US government issued another sanctions order: sanctions against officials of the International Military Tribunal, because some people in this military tribunal participated in the investigation of US actions in the Afghan war.

In addition, the United States will also sanction those Hong Kong police and government officials who have stopped or will prevent Hong Kong youth riots. Perhaps one day, the US government will sanction China’s national leader Xi Jinping.
    It all depends on what the moron in chief saw on Faux news the day before. Here is another one:

Trump targets ICC with sanctions after court opens war crimes investigation...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...tion-sanctions
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Yeah, you'll pretty much have to ignore whatever Trump does. It doesn't mean anything because nobody, including Trump, understands what he's doing.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yeah, you'll pretty much have to ignore whatever Trump does
    The tweets and rallies are safe to ignore. Sanctions and modifications to export control lists triggered by his brain dead trade war are not safe to ignore

Nobody said it was safe to ignore them, just that you have no choice. Trump gonna Trump.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Last year the United States launched a trade war against China. Perhaps, in the next step, the United States will launch a comprehensive scientific and technological war against China. In the short term, China will suffer a difficult period. But in the long run, this may be a good thing for China, because it can force China to achieve self-reliance (complete autonomy) in every field of science and technology.

PowerPoster

Re: Will China be banned from using Windows or other American software?

Don't worry, maybe the Biden-Harris ticket will succeed in November. Then that giant sucking sound can resume.

PowerPoster

Although Biden's approval-rate is rising, the current elections have too many uncertainties and it's difficult to predict the final result.

IMO, regardless of whether the Democratic Party or the Republican Party win the election, their strategy of treating China as their main competitor and inhibiting China's development will not change. The United States has the most creative scientists and smartest businessmen and entrepreneurs, but American politicians are too bad, which prevents the United States from gaining an absolute advantage in its competition with China.

In addition, the "giant sucking sound" was not caused by other countries, but by structural defects in the American political system.

PowerPoster

Google Translate:

In a recent article on the US National Interest website, the current U.S. technology war against China by preventing Huawei from becoming the leading supplier of the global 5G industry, and the 1941 U.S. initiation by punishing Japan’s military expansion in Asia The oil embargo was compared. Japan attacked Pearl Harbor four months after the US oil embargo came into effect, and the United States was dragged into World War II. In the remaining months of 2020, if China guarantees TSMC's chip supply to Huawei and other Chinese manufacturers by recovering Taiwan, the United States may have to face options similar to those in 1941. According to the results of the Pentagon's 18 recent military game deductions, if the United States and China have a hot war on the Taiwan issue, the scores of the two countries are 18:0, China 18 points, and the United States 0 points. Therefore, the author of the article said that although the possibility of such extreme situations cannot be ruled out, Trump's ban on Huawei is more likely to be more bark than bite. However, despite this, the remaining months of 2020 will be a very severe test for China and the United States, and no different from the test for the United States and Japan five months after 1941.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Don't worry, maybe the Biden-Harris ticket will succeed in November. Then that giant sucking sound can resume.
    I believe it was mostly Republicans that negotiated NAFTA and NAFTA II.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

IMO, regardless of whether the Democratic Party or the Republican Party win the election, their strategy of treating China as their main competitor and inhibiting China's development will not change.
    It will change in character, but not in objective. Businesses compete. The two largest economies in the world are certain to be rivals. The form that rivalry takes is what will change.

In addition, the "giant sucking sound" was not caused by other countries, but by structural defects in the American political system.
    Just to be clear, the "giant sucking sound" was a line from Ross Perot during the 1992 presidential election, and was a prediction that businesses would move to Mexico to take advantage of lower pay and fewer regulations there. Similarly, companies moved to China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, and other countries that had cheaper labor than in the US.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I believe it was mostly Republicans that negotiated NAFTA and NAFTA II.
    I sure wouldn't let them off the hook. Much of its design came from Reagan-Bush. But it took Bill Clinton and his Congressional henchmen to push it through and Obama to double down.

Then came the TPP so heavily championed by Hillary and killed by your buddy Donald Trump.

Like NAFTA, the somewhat modified form called USMCA both involve Canada as well as Mexico. Those are a big reason why so much TV and movie production moved to Canada to escape the labor unions in the US. USMCA softened many of the abusive provisions of NAFTA.

USMCA, the new trade deal between the US, Canada, and Mexico, explained
    Last edited by dilettante; Jun 15th, 2020 at 10:48 AM.

PowerPoster

It is interesting to go back and watch the 1992 US Presidential Campaign Debates.

You can see where Bernie Sanders cribbed his faux campaign platforms from in his role as sheepdog for the neoliberal DNC. Much of Perot's platform was mouthed nearly word for word.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    the somewhat modified form called USMCA ...
    Whenever I read that, I think of the Village People...with Trump.

It's not a pretty picture.

PowerPoster

I imagine Trump sees himself as a member of The Beach Boys. I don't want to feel his "Good Vibrations" any more than anybody else.

PowerPoster

It will change in character, but not in objective. Businesses compete. The two largest economies in the world are certain to be rivals. The form that rivalry takes is what will change.
    Whether it is between two enterprises or between two countries, if the two sides are engaged in healthy competition, it will benefit the market and the entire world. But Trump and Pompeo seem to be completely reluctant to adopt benign competition, but intend to adopt vicious competition (suppression and blockade in a political way).

But the problem is that it has never succeeded in suppressing and blocking China in a political way. China has made extraordinary achievements in every technological field blocked by the United States (China has basically become NO.1 in the world in these fields).

Now the United States has imposed a comprehensive blockade on Huawei's chip supply. I suspect that in 5 years China will be fully self-sufficient in semiconductor chips, and in 10 years, China's semiconductor chips will lead the world.

In other words, the United States' suppression or blockade of China in a political or military way not only failed to achieve its purpose, but also greatly promoted the development of Chinese science and technology.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Jun 25th, 2020 at 02:25 AM.

PowerPoster

Your welcome!

PowerPoster

Now the US government has begun to humiliate China again. As the most powerful country in the world, it is understandable for the United States to show an arrogant attitude in front of China, and China can also accept (endure) this arrogance. However, unlike treating China with arrogance, humiliating China often leads to extremely serious consequences.

The last time the US government humiliated China was in 1996. Many people may not know what the humiliation finally led to (in 1996).
    Last edited by dreammanor; Jul 24th, 2020 at 05:39 AM.

Many people may not know what the humiliation finally led to.
    You'll hold Olympic games? Or nuke Taiwan?

Honestly, with the current incumbent that's not a game you want to play. He's stupid enough to go for it.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Jul 24th, 2020 at 02:08 AM.

China has always been sensitive to foreign humiliation. Perhaps it's some lingering result of Confucian ideals and the focus on manners. The US has a history of believing that past indiscretions should be forgotten. Both positions are flawed.

However, on a darker note: Is there any example in all of human history where an economic power, whose position was threatened by a rising economic power, yielded place without war?

PowerPoster

China has always been sensitive to foreign humiliation.
    In fact, it was only the last 200 years.

China has always been sensitive to foreign humiliation. Perhaps it's some lingering result of Confucian ideals and the focus on manners. The US has a history of believing that past indiscretions should be forgotten. Both positions are flawed.

However, on a darker note: Is there any example in all of human history where an economic power, whose position was threatened by a rising economic power, yielded place without war?
    You should know that China is the only country in the five permanent members of the UN that China has not yet completed national reunification. In the eyes of most Chinese, the division of the country is a continuation of the humiliation of the last 200 years, so China regards national reunification as a historical mission that must be completed. In other words, China regards Hong Kong and Taiwan as its core interests. Once someone infringes on China's core interests, it will inevitably cause a sharp backlash in China. The United States touched this red line in 1996. But few Americans know the consequences of touching the red line in 1996.

After this period of conflict between the United States and China ends, I will tell you in detail the consequences of the United States humiliating China in 1996. The U.S. military and the U.S. strategic community only understood this consequence in 2016. It was an extremely serious consequence. It has had an important impact on the pattern of China, the United States and the world, but everything has been irreversible.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Jul 24th, 2020 at 12:03 PM.

In fact, it was only the last 200 years.
    That's not true. Chinese history has plenty of examples. Go back to the letter the khan of the Hsiung-nu sent to Empress Lu, though it could be argued that it extends even further back. The Middle Kingdom has a long history of navel gazing interrupted by being offended by foreign insults.

You should know that China is the only country in the five permanent members of the UN that China has not yet completed national reunification.
    It's also the only one that didn't go through a period of blatant, outwardly-focused, colonization and imperialism. In fact, it may be the only large, unified, country that has not had that in its past. You make it sound like the US is unified. In what way? Do the Nez Perce, Shoshone, or Navajo feel that the US is unified? How about Hawaii, and Puerto Rico? One is a state, the other is undecided whether or not it wants to be a state, both are islands, and all residents of both are US citizens. So...are we unified? We certainly aren't humiliated by it. I don't see any sign of that.
    In the eyes of most Chinese, the division of the country is a continuation of the humiliation of the last 200 years, so China regards national reunification as a historical mission that must be completed.
    Which part? The island of Taiwan holds the rump of the old Chinese republic. That wasn't calved off by some imperial power, that was calved off by internal division within China, but remains calved off through the support of the US. The majority of the residents are Chinese, but they keep voting for leaders that reject reunification, so they clearly aren't thrilled with the prospect. You basically want to force an unwilling population to be subservient. Now THAT'S western!!

In other words, China regards Hong Kong and Taiwan as its core interests. Once someone infringes on China's core interests, it will inevitably cause a sharp backlash in China. The United States touched this red line in 1996. But few Americans know the consequences of touching the red line in 1996.
    Some red line. Nobody knows when it was crossed, or why, or what consequences, if any, arose from it. That's the kind of red line that is easy to ignore.

After this period of conflict between the United States and China ends, I will tell you in detail the consequences of the humiliation of China by the United States in 1996. The U.S. military and the U.S. strategic community only understood this consequence in 2016. It is an extremely serious consequence. It has had an important impact on the pattern of China, the United States and the world, but everything has been irreversible.[/QUOTE]

PowerPoster

That's not true. Chinese history has plenty of examples. Go back to the letter the khan of the Hsiung-nu sent to Empress Lu, though it could be argued that it extends even further back. The Middle Kingdom has a long history of navel gazing interrupted by being offended by foreign insults.
    Before 200 years, China had some periods of heyday and some periods of weakness. We did not think that Chinese were very sensitive to foreign humiliation, because in the 5,000-year history of development, China has been the most powerful country in the world for most of the time, and almost no one has ever thought that China is an ignorant nation. (In addition, you should know the serious consequences of the khan of the Hsiung-nu humiliating Empress Lu of China.)

But in the past 200 years, China has become a symbol of backwardness and ignorance due to the missing of the Industrial Revolution. During this period, China became sensitive to foreign humiliation.

Which part? The island of Taiwan holds the rump of the old Chinese republic. That wasn't calved off by some imperial power, that was calved off by internal division within China, but remains calved off through the support of the US. The majority of the residents are Chinese, but they keep voting for leaders that reject reunification, so they clearly aren't thrilled with the prospect. You basically want to force an unwilling population to be subservient. Now THAT'S western!!
    No, you do not know the current situation in Taiwan, nor do you understand the US manipulation of Taiwan.

Some red line. Nobody knows when it was crossed, or why, or what consequences, if any, arose from it. That's the kind of red line that is easy to ignore.
    If you have friends in CIA, maybe they will tell you. In fact, Pompeo knows this best. It's just that most Americans don't know it.

We talk too much.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Jul 24th, 2020 at 01:27 PM.

No, you do not know the current situation in Taiwan, nor do you understand the US manipulation of Taiwan.
    This is another example of you posting absolutely nothing. Here is my equally valid retort: No, you do not know the current situation in Taiwan, nor do you understand the Chinese manipulation of Taiwan and their own people.

If you have friends in CIA, maybe they will tell you. In fact, Pompeo knows this best.
    Please, enlighten. Once again you post absolutely nothing and think you won something. If you have proof of something, post it and start a discussion because as of right now you're just a conspiracy nut.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    This is another example of you posting absolutely nothing. Here is my equally valid retort: No, you do not know the current situation in Taiwan, nor do you understand the Chinese manipulation of Taiwan and their own people.

Please, enlighten. Once again you post absolutely nothing and think you won something. If you have proof of something, post it and start a discussion because as of right now you're just a conspiracy nut.
    This is another example of your ignorance. Do you want me to be like Snowden and Assange?

This is another example of your ignorance. Do you want me to be like Snowden and Assange?
    You know absolutely nothing. You're proving it by posting absolutely nothing. You are not Snowden or Assange and no one cares enough about you to monitor you. Post your information and absolutely nothing will happen, because it isn't worth anything happening because you know it.

PowerPoster

You know absolutely nothing. You're proving it by posting absolutely nothing. You are not Snowden or Assange and no one cares enough about you to monitor you. Post your information and absolutely nothing will happen, because it isn't worth anything happening because you know it.
    Yes, I know nothing. Tell me some of your knowledge.

Yes, I know nothing. Tell me some of your knowledge.
    Bring up an actual point and I may. I'm still waiting.

However, if I do, the Chinese government will probably come in and assinate me, as the knowledge I have is so damning to their entire way of life.

I will give you a hint: Look up 1987, Canada, and China. Until you are not completely ignorant of how Canada became the controlling influence into China during that time, you're too ignorant to talk to.

If you're not aware that Canada is the controlling influence in China, you're blind.
    Last edited by kfcSmitty; Jul 24th, 2020 at 02:00 PM.

PowerPoster

Bring up an actual point and I may. I'm still waiting.

However, if I do, the Chinese government will probably come in and assinate me, as the knowledge I have is so damning to their entire way of life.

I will give you a hint: Look up 1987, Canada, and China. Until you are not completely ignorant of how Canada became the controlling influence into China during that time, you're too ignorant to talk to.

If you're not aware that Canada is the controlling influence in China, you're blind.
    I admit that I'm blind. In fact, before 1989, I never watched any news. I didn't even watch TV, because I was a very diligent student. I studied in the best local school and could only go home once a week. I hadn't had any interest in politics since I was a kid, and I still do.

My child has gone to university, but he has never read political news once, not once.

I don't know Canada's political influence on China, but I know Canada is a very friendly and tolerant country (this is why I think Canada may become the most powerful country in the world in the next 100 years). When I was a primary school student, I knew that Bethune was Canadian. Many years ago, my favorite country was Canada, and it hasn’t changed.

Could you tell me more knowledge?
    Last edited by dreammanor; Jul 24th, 2020 at 03:17 PM.

Before 200 years, China had some periods of heyday and some periods of weakness. We did not think that Chinese were very sensitive to foreign humiliation, because in the 5,000-year history of development, China has been the most powerful country in the world for most of the time, and almost no one has ever thought that China is an ignorant nation. (In addition, you should know the serious consequences of the khan of the Hsiung-nu humiliating Empress Lu of China.)
    I was going to say that I don't see those consequences as being all that serious, but that's from a vantage of the long view. At the time, there were consequences. However, they were there because the Empress felt humiliated, and that was the point. The letter doesn't seem like it was meant to cause quite the reaction that it caused, so yet another foreigner was surprised by touchy manners.
    But in the past 200 years, China has become a symbol of backwardness and ignorance due to the missing of the Industrial Revolution. During this period, China became sensitive to foreign humiliation.
    While I can see why you would say this, the sensitivity came first. Foreign humiliation isn't humiliation unless you are already sensitive to that. If you were insensitive, you wouldn't be bothered by the acts of others. That's the case for nations and people alike.

I disagree with both halves of that. I'm not sure what current situation you are referring to, though. Are you suggesting that the people in Taiwan have not voted for the candidate who steers them further from the mainland over the candidate who would steer a closer course? That seems unlikely. As to the US manipulations of Taiwan, it is more likely that the tail is wagging the dog rather than the other way around....or perhaps the tail and the dog are both equally complicit in the wagging. The US has significant economic interest in Taiwan. The US also has somewhat significant political interest in Taiwan. Taiwan has significant economic interest in the US. Taiwan also has significant political interest in the US. Which one is greater, I'm not sure. It's pretty clear that the US (especially with Trump as president) is less interested in supporting Taiwan than Taiwan is interested in being supported. We'd look away. They can't.

If you have friends in CIA, maybe they will tell you. In fact, Pompeo knows this best. It's just that most Americans don't know it.
    No. That's not the point. If there is a red line, then people have to know they crossed it, and care about the outcome. They might have known about a line, they might have thought it red, but they didn't care about crossing it. There are likely a few people who care, but those people don't influence all that much.

PowerPoster

No. That's not the point. If there is a red line, then people have to know they crossed it, and care about the outcome. They might have known about a line, they might have thought it red, but they didn't care about crossing it. There are likely a few people who care, but those people don't influence all that much.
    The consequence of the United States humiliating China in 1996 was: China completed all the preparations for national reunification in 20 years. At the same time, the United States has completely lost its absolute military advantage. Although the United States is still the most powerful military force in the world, no country or group of countries on this planet can threaten China militarily. On this point, the US military and strategic circles are very clear.

By humiliating China, the United States has forced China into a global competitor.

In March this year, a Japanese expert said: By observing China's industrial production capacity, transportation capacity, mobilization capacity, and technological capacity during the COVID-19 epidemic, he found that China, like the United States, is an invincible country.

He was right that China, like the United States, is an invincible country. If the United States continues to humiliate China, what will happen?

A spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said: China will always want to be friends with the United States, but if the United States decides to push China into a competitor, then the United States will find that China is an excellent competitor.
    Last edited by dreammanor; Jul 24th, 2020 at 07:19 PM.

PowerPoster

Don't you think this might really be a contest between the Chinese government and its corporations on one side with the U.S. government, some of its current allies, and the corporations they host on the other side?

I doubt it has anything to do with the people of those countries, aside from how they are encouraged to feel about it and accept the blame. Blame that really is not theirs. Only a few powerful people have any influence, at least as individuals, on either side of the conflict.

Is a nation those powerful people? Or is it the masses of regular people who live there?

If there is any humiliation to wear I don't think it falls on the regular people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast