Thread: Yahoo Login/Out problem

PowerPoster

Yahoo Login/Out problem

ATT is my internet provider and I use ATT Yahoo Mail service.

When I login to either my ATT or Yahoo Mail account I have always selected "Keep Me Signed In for 2 Weeks". Been doing this for years with no problem. Now all of a sudden, even without closing the browser it will just log me out. It also logs me out everytime I close the browser, both Edge and Chrome. I'm not running any extra security software (Win 10 Defender running). Google searches say clear the cookies, set properties to allow cookies. I've done these things. I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran it but it didn't find any problems. btw - my Username and password are still autofilled just fine.

So far all other sites that I stay logged into like VBF and FB are working just fine. Anyone ever had this problem or got any suggestions?

Re: Yahoo Login/Out problem

Are you using any browser extensions that might be clearing history of cookies?

Are you using "private browsing", which would prevent saving cookies?

https://www.lifewire.com/why-log-in-...y-time-1170874

PowerPoster

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I've seen that article. No extensions, no private browsing and it does save cookies. Something just logs me out.

Does it happen on all browsers? Something jumps out at me that we had a similar issue a while back and it was that the browser was reading the expiration of the cookie wrong or something.

What does the expiration value of the cookie look like? Does it say at end of session, or does it have a date in the future?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    Does it happen on all browsers? Something jumps out at me that we had a similar issue a while back and it was that the browser was reading the expiration of the cookie wrong or something.

What does the expiration value of the cookie look like? Does it say at end of session, or does it have a date in the future?
    Thanks for the reply,

I only have two browsers, Edge and Chrome, it does it in both. I have have no idea how to check the "expiration value of the cookie" but I have already deleted the cookies and it didn't help.

If you are on Windows 10, then you also have Internet Explorer. You could try using that to see if the behavior is the same. You can also download and run the portable version of Firefox and try that to see what happens. Edge and Chrome use the same basic engine now, so what affects one may also affect the other.

Firefox Portable:
    https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

PowerPoster

Really don't want to switch browsers. I haven't given up yet on a solution. It doesn't take but a couple of clicks to login, it's just annoying.

If you use Chrome, open the page, login, and then press F12. Click "Application" and expand "Cookies" on the left.

You can then click the site name and it should show all the cookies, their expiration, etc. See if anything looks weird to you.

Have you tried contacting their support? It may be they changed something by accident.

No need to switch. Testing would help determine if you have a browser issue or a network issue or a Windows issue.

PowerPoster

I found the cookies, but most of it was too cryptic for me to understand. Did find my username and the expire date was "session". Tried changing it to date but was just set back to session the next time I opened the browser. I cleared all the cookies but still no change. Thinking about doing a system restore, I haven't put anything new on this machine in quite a while. First I'm going to go to setting and give a good look at what programs are installed. Maybe go check my task manager.

Anyway thanks for the replies.

Edit: Did notice that both Edge and Chrome installed an update @ the 19th. That could be when this problem started.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; May 27th, 2020 at 02:22 PM.

Edit: Did notice that both Edge and Chrome installed an update @ the 19th. That could be when this problem started.
    Which is why I suggested trying another browser as a test to see if it is a Chome/ChrEdge issue or some other problem.

PowerPoster

Well Firefox keep me logged in. I'm able to close the browser and I'm still logged in when I restart FF. But now what? ReInstall Edge and Chrome. Think I'll take a break, think about it for a while.

If Firefox is keeping you logged in, it looks like we have narrowed down the issue to a ChrEdge/Chrome problem. That could be due to recent updates to those browsers.

PowerPoster

What a pain in the butt. You can't just uninstall Edge(there are ways but not sure I want to dick around with them), was going to remove and reinstall, to see if that helped. Don't really want to uninstall my Chrome browser because I've go a lot work invested in Bookmarks and config. So I decided to select a restore point from a week ago or so. But I upgraded this machine from 7 to 10 about 3 months ago and now it tells me I have no restore points. I guess my bad, should have checked all the various setting. While typing this it dawned on me that maybe I can download Edge and install without removing it first. I'll let you know.

Windows 10 has System Restore turned off by default. You have to enable that to have any Restore Points.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...estore-points/

PowerPoster

Well downloading and installing Edge had no effect. Started playing with FireFox, pretty easy to setup and import my Chrome bookmarks. But guess what, now on my homepage (ATT Current) I see this,

AT&T Mail users:
    Remember to sign in each time you access email as the 2-week login feature is unavailable
    Wonder if that was just added or has been there for a while. So I guess I'll wait and see what happens next.

Nice. It looks from a Google search that this is not the first time this has happened. You could try checking forums.att.com to see if there is any additional info.

PowerPoster

FYI

Firefox doesn't stay logged in either. You close the browser and then reopen it and your still logged in, Edge and Chrome don't. But I just came back after being gone for about an hour and when I opened the browser I wasn't logged in.

I am guessing that this is a new security measure, especially with everyone working from home on laptops. You are automatically logged out after a specified time interval if there is no activity. It would be nice if this was documented somewhere so you knew about it.

PowerPoster

Finally found some current info on the problem, they said it's a known problem that they're working on. That's about it. No time line or any other information. All the people with the problem seem to have the "sbcglobal.net" provider name. That's an old name, now it's Att.net.

Oh well not that big a deal