Thread: Problem with USB keyboard

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

Problem with USB keyboard

I use an iMAC and I've noticed that when my keyboard is plugged directly into the back of the mac, the OS recognizes it, but if I plug into into a USB hub (which is plugged into the back of the mac), the OS can't find it and rebooting does't help. Is there anything I can do?

Re: Problem with USB keyboard

Get a PC. Sorry, I couldn't help it. I'm not really an Apple-hater but that one was just out there, waiting.

Is the hub POWERED via electricity?

If not, if you unplug everything else does the keyboard work?

The hub is powered, and no, unplugging everything else from the hub doesn't help. By the way this is a new hub that I bought thinking that my previous one was the problem.

Sinecure devotee

USB is an Intel invention and Apple didn't join that game (they had their firewire ports) until much later.
    This sounds like an Apple problem, so probably some Apple specific forum may be more likely to have people familiar with the issue.
    I guess the first question is, you're talking about an Apple keyboard, as opposed to some other USB keyboard.

One thing I read, and I don't know if you're already doing this, is they mention you plug the peripherals into the hub first, and then plug the hub into the computer.
    Also, make sure the speed of the hub matches the speed of the peripheral plugged into it.

I don't know. Haven't worked with mac's much. I have one mini-mac somewhere, and it was bought just before Apple switched to using Intel processors, so is a bit of a dinosaur.
    I couldn't even say were it is at the moment.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

This sounds like an Apple problem - I phoned them; no joy.
    Apple keyboard - yes.
    plug the peripherals into the hub first, and then plug the hub into the computer - I'll try that later

I googled-> usb hub for imac and see a ton of hubs to purchase... Are the ones you have specifically for imac's/apple computers?

having the benefit of knowing what the hell i'm talking about, i can tell you it's not a mac problem. The hub is the problem. It has its own controller chip in it and circuitry. There is something about that keyboard it doesn't like. Most likely the power draw is more than it expects, or the keyboard contains its own usb hub internally to control media buttons, etc. on the keyboard and your hub can't handle it. This last part is actually a very common problem.
    You can confirm this though by connecting the hub to a different computer (or fire stick or what-have-you) and seeing if the keyboard works.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

I reccently added a docking station hub to my mac and in order for all of the peripherals to work on it properly, I had to go to the website (Kensington) and download the driver for it and install it. Mayperhaps something similar needs to be done in this case.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *