Thread: [RESOLVED] Re-Install VS2019

Resolved [RESOLVED] Re-Install VS2019

Hi,

For the past few months I've been having a LOT of inexplicable problems with my Visual Basic.NET programming, the advice I get to help resolve problems seldom works even though I'm assured it ought to.

So... My machine has a LOT of old Visual Studio stuff from several years back, I've previously uninstalled VS2013 and 15, but I've never removed any of the other stuff which is automatically installed with these.

Currently VS2017 and VS2019 are still installed and I've decided that I'd like to remove all traces of all the Visual Studios on this machine, and then re-install just VS2019 in the hope of clearing out any chance of 'historic' interference, but I don't know which files I can safely remove without crashing the whole machine but still clearing out everything from the VS.

Poppa
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.

Re: Re-Install VS2019

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa Mintin View Post
    Hi,

For the past few months I've been having a LOT of inexplicable problems with my Visual Basic.NET programming, the advice I get to help resolve problems seldom works even though I'm assured it ought to.

So... My machine has a LOT of old Visual Studio stuff from several years back, I've previously uninstalled VS2013 and 15, but I've never removed any of the other stuff which is automatically installed with these.

Currently VS2017 and VS2019 are still installed and I've decided that I'd like to remove all traces of all the Visual Studios on this machine, and then re-install just VS2019 in the hope of clearing out any chance of 'historic' interference, but I don't know which files I can safely remove without crashing the whole machine but still clearing out everything from the VS.
    Poppa
    In theory you shouldn't have to even do this. It would be helpful to know exactly what kinds of problems you are having, but VS is designed in such a way that new versions are able to be installed simultaneously with old versions. This is because a dev environment can not take the chance of being taken out by a bug in one version. They can fall back to a different one if they need to. I've got three versions installed on my work computer and the only real issue i get is i have to discard solution file changes whenever i don't use the version everyone else uses. I commonly use 2017 enterprise and everyone else uses 2019 community.

You may be having an issue with something else that is interfering with it? It could be time for a clean windows install.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Have you tried a VS repair from the VS Installer?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Have you tried a VS repair from the VS Installer?
    Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't realise that the installer had all those other tools.
    I've removed VS2017 anyway, just to be sure it can't interfere despite it's supposed not to be able to.
    I ran the repair on VS2019 instead of re-installing it.

Poppa
    Along with the sunshine there has to be a little rain sometime.