Thread: How to Call function in .JS file | Pass 2 parameters | Get Result as String

Lively Member

How to Call function in .JS file | Pass 2 parameters | Get Result as String

I'm trying to call a javascript function from within VB6.

Details:

* The javascript function is contained in a file named "htmlparser.js" and this file is installed along side the .EXE file when the application is installed.

* The function is called "parse" and it takes 2 parameters: URL and HTML

The function call looks like this:

Code:
    htmlparser.parse(url, {html: '<html><body><p>Some HTML to be Parsed</p></body></html>',}).then(result => console.log(result));
    How can I call this function from VB6 and retrieve the result into a string variable? Do I use .execscript or wscript or what?

TIA

PowerPoster

Re: How to Call function in .JS file | Pass 2 parameters | Get Result as String

google v8.dll

PowerPoster

You don't need any javascript-support, to read-out the plain-text from some HTML-Document-input
    (if that's what you are after, which isn't entirely clear)...

FWIW, here's a simple function, which does just that:
    Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
      Debug.Print HtmlToText("<html><body><p>Some HTML to be Parsed</p></body></html>")
    End Sub

Function HtmlToText(sHTML As String) As String
      With CreateObject("htmlfile")
        .write sHTML: HtmlToText = .body.innerText
      End With
    End Function
    Olaf

Lively Member

Can I access the the functions in v8.dll from VB6? Can I just add v8.dll via the References menu and call its functions?

Lively Member

This JS parse function produces clean HTML so you get the text portion without losing the links and images.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by zlander View Post
    This JS parse function produces clean HTML so you get the text portion without losing the links and images.
    Without any example-outputs (and the source of htmlparser.js), this will remain a "guessing-game".

Olaf