Thread: Created an App, Ran it on Another Computer, Windows Protect the PC...

Created an App, Ran it on Another Computer, Windows Protect the PC...

So I finished creating an app, right? If I run the app on another Windows 10 PC other than the computer I created it on (also Windows 10), there is a message that pops up that says that Windows Protected Your PC. You can see it in the pic below.

I find this to be quite annoying. I want to be able to run the app without having Windows say it could potentially be harmful. Even in simple Hello World programs it does this. How can I enable the correct permissions to prevent Windows from having this popup? Should be possible since commercial apps never get flagged.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Created an App, Ran it on Another Computer, Windows Protect the PC...

I see that you're running it from the Downloads folder. If you download a zipped application from the web, be sure to open the file properties and check the Unblock box before unzipping. If you don't, the extracted folder is considered an unsafe location. I think that all arbitrary downloads are considered unsafe until the user explicitly indicates otherwise.

Would an application installer help bypass this? It does it even when not in the downloads folder. Like if I put it in its own folder in the C drive as a first time run app, it will pop up.

The location doesn't matter if you started with a downloaded ZIP file and didn't unblock it. Did you download a ZIP file and, if so, do you still have it? If so, deleted the extracted folder/files, unblock the ZIP file and then extract again. I think that you should find that you're OK then, although I'm not 100% sure.

With regards to using an installer, I think that would alleviate the issue but, again, I'm not 100% sure. It's possible that you'd still get that warning at the point of installation, but not when running the app after installation.

Stupid question. How do I put my app in an installer?

You can use the Publish functionality within the project to create a ClickOnce installer or, if you have the Microsoft Visual Studio Installer Projects extension installed, you can create a Setup project in your solution to use Windows Installer.

What is so difficult about clicking Run Anyway? Blocking VS apps is standard Windows behaviour, requires some trust by the user but not a major problem...

Quote Originally Posted by .paul. View Post
    What is so difficult about clicking Run Anyway? Blocking VS apps is standard Windows behaviour, requires some trust by the user but not a major problem...
    The problem is, is that commercial apps dont behave in this manner, and it would be nice to know.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    You can use the Publish functionality within the project to create a ClickOnce installer or, if you have the Microsoft Visual Studio Installer Projects extension installed, you can create a Setup project in your solution to use Windows Installer.
    I'll see if I can find it

This has nothing whatsoever to do with "creating an installer".

If you don't want the warning popup to appear, you need to sign your application as explained at MSDN: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ng-certificate