Thread: Form Icon and X button

Hyperactive Member

Form Icon and X button

I'm experimenting with a Form to act as a MsgBox box so I set it's border property to 3-Fixed Dialog. I would like it to look the same as a regular MsgBox so how do I get rid of the icon and also make the X button disabled.

PowerPoster

Re: Form Icon and X button

Setting the ControlBox property to False removes the Icon, but also removes the X/Close button instead of disabling it. Maybe that's close enough for your needs?

Addicted Member

Set BorderStyle to (Fixed Dialog) and set the Icon property to (None). You can find API ways to disable the Close Button.

FYI: Close button not disabled when the only button is the OK, i.e., vbOkOnly or the Cancel button is included, vbOkCancel, vbYesNoCancel
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Apr 14th, 2020 at 12:24 PM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Hyperactive Member

I considered the options but I decided to use a 2nd Form for the MsgBox. It works fine except it wont keep the focus even after trying frmMsgBox.SetFocus in the main Form that calls fmrMsgBox. It starts out with the focus but soon afterwards it goes grey and I have been unsuccessful to make it have the focus. Setting frmMsgBox.SetFocus doesn't seem to do anything.

BTW: Does anyone know of a modaless MsgBox

Even a modaless MsgBox wouldn't keep focus. I think the MessaeBox API will be modaless if you pass it a zero hWnd; been awhile, so not positive. In either case, if it's not modal, then it can lose focus.

If you don't necessarily care about focus, but don't want your msgbox-form moving behind the main form, ensure you show it with the owner parameter, i.e, msgForm.Show , Me
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Hyperactive Member

I didn't think about using the .Show, Me option but I did use the always on top API. I'm assuming that since I can't keep the focus on the MsgBox-Form I wont be able to use hot keys for the Yes and No buttons