Thread: Different Issues when posting

Different Issues when posting

Recently, I've noticed two new issues when posting. FYI

1. I will receive an error page (can't recall the wording) with an option to resend. If the resend option works, no problems. If not, you can try again & again until either you give up or it eventually works. I've gotten this error when replying to posts, updating my own threads, and even in PMs. The error is intermittent. I have not noticed any pattern, but attachments seem to make it happen more often than when not having attachments.

2. Updating threads where attachments are concerned. When activating the window to upload attachments, typically no problems unless you need to upload 2+ attachments. The 2nd attempt just causes the upload action to spin. I've given it up to a minute (out of curiosity), but just keeps spinning. I eventually have to close that window. The only way I've been able to add additional attachments is to save the thread, re-edit and add another attachment, rinse & repeat. Unfortunately, the error mentioned in #1 often occurs between saving & re-editing.

Edited: Another member mentioned that #1 appears often in FireFox but not Chrome as far as he can recall. He also noticed #2 in either browser. However, I've noticed the problem in Chrome also, but with one caveat ... didn't have an option to resend, needed to hit the browser's back button which often results in losing whatever you just typed for posting, depending on auto-save. Happens enough that I've become accustomed to doing Ctrl+A,Ctrl+C just in case, before clicking submit. The loss of the resend button may be unrelated though. I use Chrome in an environment where IT has really locked down nearly everything. I use FireFox on my home PC.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Apr 13th, 2020 at 02:43 PM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Sinecure devotee

Re: Different Issues when posting

I've had the same issues recently, and wasn't sure that it might not be something with this computer, i.e. couldn't upload an image, and it might be an IT change is preventing that.
    As far as the other issues with posting error, and connection reset errors, that seems to have improved lately.
    It seems if I go advance for my reply, then it tends to avoid that problem.

That made me wonder if the problems with the connection being reset when trying to reply was related to someone trying to fix the double post issue and making things worse.
    I assumed that they reverted because I haven't had that issue for some number of hours, but perhaps it comes and goes as someone is working on the site?

I try to remember to always click in the reply window and press Ctrl-A to select everything and Ctrl-C to copy it before I get too far and take a chance of loosing the post.
    (In my case, I gave up after a while trying to insert an image in the post, because I couldn't get it to work, even after getting out of the browser completely, and trying both Firefox and Chrome. It would never upload the image. Haven't tried inserting an image since yesterday.)
    Last edited by passel; Apr 13th, 2020 at 02:47 PM.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    I've had the same issues recently ...
    ... because I haven't had that issue for some number of hours
    I tried to update a code bank submission about 20 hours ago. Took some effort since it has 3 attachments and in between removing old, adding new, while getting that "failed, resend" page. Hoping all this is temporary or a result in admin trial & error when testing for other things.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Just a follow-up in case others see this thread.

Trying to add multiple attachments is really a PITA. However, I did discover a slightly less irritating way of getting it done...

After the first attachment is uploaded and trying to add additional ones, it is likely the "attachment upload" window will just have its spinner animating forever. Try clicking in the URL bar and press F5. Give a couple seconds, press F5 again. This seems to work for me. But how many times I need to press F5 for each attachment ranges quite a bit. Might want to have another browser opened for reading

Anyway, that's better than trying to do it the way I mentioned in the early posts.

PowerPoster

this forum has had issues for months, if anything is being done to remedy the problems, nothing is reported to users, currently the site is so slow that it really is not worth even visiting, pages do not complete loading replies are always going to the wait 30 seconds page, quick reply boxes fail to load

[QUOTE][/PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'adminpermissions' in ..../includes/functions.php on line 6073

PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'adminpermissions' in ..../includes/functions.php on line 6073

PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'genericoptions' in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php on line 1093

PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'genericpermissions' in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php on line 1126

PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'genericpermissions2' in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php on line 1146

PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'socialgrouppermissions' in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php on line 1159

PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'socialgrouppermissions' in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php on line 1169

PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'genericpermissions' in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php on line 1186

PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'socialgrouppermissions' in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php on line 1196

PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'socialgrouppermissions' in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php on line 1220QUOTE]surly this should have been fixed by now?

I was even desperate enough to try in internet explorer, normally I use firefox, but I think any marginal improvement is just luck

I feel sure that some forum members have just given up and now post elsewhere, can hardly blame them
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

westconn1 - I'm here every day and several times a day and only noticed one day (few hours) where page load times were poor.

Normally no one is bashful around here and are quick to complain/point out issues.

Anyone else having/seeing slow page load times....

Sinecure devotee

As noted above, I've had new issues, like LaVolpe has described.
    For me, these seem to happen late at night, or early morning between 12:00am and 4:00am in the morning (New York time), and during the reset of the day, the forum just has the "usual" problems that it has had for the last, almost two years.

I just assumed because of the nature of the issues, with page time outs, and connection resets early in the morning, that someone was actually working on trying to fix the long standing double post issue, and the attempted fixes were actually causing more annoying problems than the thing being fixed. This has happened several late night/early morning sessions. but seems better as of late, perhaps they've gone back to the drawing board and are fiddling live with the forum at night, or perhaps there is some other maintenance action that occurs at that time of the day, that is having side effects.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

PowerPoster

hi steve
    today i am having quicker page load times (yesterday was shocking), but got a new issue a something went wrong page, that i have not seen before, when replying to a post

i do not know how my visiting times compare to passel's, mostly i am on around 7 to 9 pm gmt +10
    often weekends seem to have slower load times, even though this does not apply to other sites

are they still doing anything to fix the ongoing issues or just found it too hard?
    i only visited this feedback forum after finding it was almost impossible to post in the regular forums and it took many attempts to make a post here

after making this post, i went back to office development and tried again to reply to a thread there, now on clicking post quick reply ( as i did here), it asks if i really want to leave the page, then goes to something went wrong

Something went wrong!

Sadly, you’ve reached a page that can’t be displayed.

We’ve logged this action, so we are aware there is an issue!

At this time, please hit your browser’s back button or simply close this page!

The incident ID is: N/A.
    Event id: 466316001911
    Last edited by westconn1; Apr 30th, 2020 at 04:23 AM.
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

pete

Passle - no one is working on the site. So your theory of "them" causing an issue isn't going to work... The servers are on the west coast.... So one little "hop" sever between you and them could be the problem.

As I mentioned yesterday - this is a medium busy site with a lot of long term members. If there were some large ongoing problem - my gray hair would all fall out.

westconn1 - there is a STICKY Thread at the top of this feedback section about the "Something Went Wrong" error.... In short, it's part of a built in self inflicted security option.

Good News - Bad News - VBForums is under new ownership and has been for about a month now. You get to decide which Good/Bad News to place that under.

So - the rug got pulled out from under the needed repairs that were started a short while back. I would assume that the site will be relocated to another sever.....but that is just a guess on my part.

I've been told that the new owners are VERY Interested in keeping this and the seven other sister sites up and running.

I've been invited to an online Meet and Greet with a brass hat tomorrow morning. Will share what information I can.

PowerPoster

i saw that sticky after posting here, i will put the details there

pete

PowerPoster

the last few days the site speed has been quite good, but tonight it is terrible

i have to refresh the page a couple of times to get the quick reply box to show, so i can type into it

any update on the meeting mentioned above?

pete

We have eight sites all located at the same place in California..... NO ONE else on any site is saying anything about page load speeds...

SO... when I get One Person reporting problems....guess what my reply would normally be

Granted it is safe to say that the servers get backed up....and it's safe to say that the database also gets backed up..... The switching of ADS has been known to cause problems.....

But all of those issues would affect ALL users if they do in fact cause problems....

My meeting has been rescheduled a couple of times....but is supposed to happen today... But as mentioned, it's a meet and greet.... The list of other known site issues has already been submitted.

Sinecure devotee

Well, I can accept that there is a lot of maintenance activity going on in the wee hours, generally across the Internet as a whole I suppose, and that the issue may not be related to your site(s). In my case, I don't post at any other site on a regular basis so have no other use cases to compare against.

But I was up late again last night, so was posting a response about 3:30am, and got the "Connection Reset, Try Again" error.

From other's comments, I decided to be brave and just hit the "Try Again" button. It failed again, so I just kept doing the "Try Again", four or five times, and it finally worked. Then I edited the post to add a short phrase, and had to to multiple "Try again" repetitions, until if finally took the update.

Like I said, it might not be your site. I guess if there is another site, presumably not a sister site, that allows test posting, I could do an experiment in two windows, posting to one and the other to see if the failure is site specific. I guess I do have an e-mail service where I can post notes and I could test making updates and saving the notes on the site to see if it acts up when I start seeing the issue here.

Probably none of that would be diagnostically helpful though, but I'll plan on keeping it in mine, assuming there will be similar issues in the future.
    I've posted all hours of the day, over the last 14 years and this is something new for me, but can accept the possibility it may be a fairly localized issue, e.g. I'm using Spectrum cable for my ISP, so it could be a Spectrum issue.

But all of those issues would affect ALL users if they do in fact cause problems....
    Steve I don't think most users keep posting in the feedback forum when they experience whatever problem.

I still often have a problem when using the Quick Reply using Safari on my iPad (latest iOS)
    If you click "Post Quick Reply" you get a "do you want to leave this page", if you click Leave then the input is lost if you click stay it has no effect.
    I have to use "Go Advanced" otherwise I'm unable to reply.

I also do experience slowness sometimes, but it's not in a fixed time-range.
    I then do a "reload" and everything is fine.

Based on the issues I reported in post #1, gotta say things are much improved.

Still get an occasional "try again" page, but far less frequency (very rarely in fact). I had to update a thread that had 3 attachments a couple days ago. And to my pleasant surprise, it went smoothly. I did not get the eternal spinner between adding attachments.

Arnoutdv - what you pointed out is one of the known issues.

Regular members like yourself see what you mentioned due in part to a "must wait 30 seconds before making another post" and you really only made one post... Site Staff aren't governed by the 30 second rule AND most of our posts duplicate automatically.

I did a Zoom meeting with the new owners yesterday. They are in the process of moving the site(s) to their servers and will be upgrading to a newer version of vBulletin.

They are very interested in keeping the site(s) up and running AND increasing traffic.

<<< STAY TUNED - And STICK AROUND>>>

Arnoutdv - what you pointed out is one of the known issues.

Regular members like yourself see what you mentioned due in part to a "must wait 30 seconds before making another post" and you really only made one post... Site Staff aren't governed by the 30 second rule AND most of our posts duplicate automatically.

I did a Zoom meeting with the new owners yesterday. They are in the process of moving the site(s) to their servers and will be upgrading to a newer version of vBulletin.

They are very interested in keeping the site(s) up and running AND increasing traffic.

<<< STAY TUNED - And STICK AROUND>>>