Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Modernizing the VB6 IDE

Lively Member

Re: Modernizing the VB6 IDE

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Can't really see the problem...
    If you cannot reach the "internals" of that ToolBar (or ToolBar-like) thingy -
    but "have" a hWnd for that "TargetStripe" - then the easiest way probably is:
    - to create your own (drawable) Overlay-hWnd (e.g. a VB.PictureBox)
    - resizing it to the same size as the "target"
    - then placing this OverlayHwnd on the target via SetParent
    - but setting your Overlay-hWnd into Disabled-State
    Now that's an interesting idea. Suppose I could render my own toolbar as an overlay and even had the code to determine where to position it and to only display while that particular window is opened... How do I then forward the clicks from my toolbar's buttons to the target toolbar's so that their respective functions execute when my replacement buttons are clicked? My limited experience with toolbar messages seemed to indicate that command bar did not respond to TB_ messages. By all means though, if you ever have the time to give this concept a shot even if in a very simple but function demo, I'd be very grateful and would definitely expand it into the full plugin.

Anyway, I'm going to set ModernVB up for release in the meantime, I should have it on Github hopefully tonight.

PowerPoster

IMO, Olaf's sample code provides an idea: Redraw the entire MSToolbar in the simplest and safest way.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by LinkFX View Post
    How do I then forward the clicks from my toolbar's buttons to the target toolbar's so that their respective functions execute when my replacement buttons are clicked?
    That's exactly what my example has shown (did you try it)?

The Overlay-hWnd (from the PictureBox) is just there for "drawing new stuff at the correct button-positions".

Whilst the original functionality is still there - and provided by "the hWnd beneath it".

So this works (with MouseActions), as if the Overlay-Window weren't there at all...
    because it was disabled (has .Enabled = False) - and thus all the "Clicks fall through to the Parent".

Olaf

PowerPoster

You can slowly use the "add-in" method to add and replace a lot of functionality, and finally completely rewrite a vb7 IDE. 64-bit procedures can be used freebasic compiler, the need to do is not to use VB6 built-in functions, the need to use their own VC principle code ActiveX. Dll or OCX. Most functions are implemented using the API. Another point of function on the release of a new version of how good, is not ready to release a new cell phone? No mistakes can be made, 10% of the functions can be completed and released, slowly increase the functions, and everyone can improve together. Why is there no open source project for VB6? If we open source the VB6 enhancement kit to github and write code together, maybe VB6 will live another 30-100 years. If win10 does not support, the big deal is to install a virtual machine to run win7, in any case than Linux to use tens of hundreds of times more convenient.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    That's exactly what my example has shown (did you try it)?

The Overlay-hWnd (from the PictureBox) is just there for "drawing new stuff at the correct button-positions".

Whilst the original functionality is still there - and provided by "the hWnd beneath it".

So this works (with MouseActions), as if the Overlay-Window weren't there at all...
    because it was disabled (has .Enabled = False) - and thus all the "Clicks fall through to the Parent".

Olaf
    I see what you mean. I didn't realize the clicks would pass through the way you showed.

This still feels like a kludge to me, I'd much rather have a permanent solution like replacing the resources directly or figuring out a way to interface with the actual command bar -- but failing that it should at least be possible to have a functional replacement in the meantime. I'll give your idea a shot, thanks a bunch.

Lively Member

ModernVB is now live! Please refer to the release thread for more details:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ly-for-testing!

I have decided to release a public test version so I can get feedback from everyone. I'll explore Olaf's suggestions for theming the 3 icons on the Project Explorer panel in a future release (thank you for the suggestion!), however since this is a minor issue I decided I shouldn't delay any longer.

I hope you all enjoy, this took many, many days of work to get right. It was initially a personal project for many years, however, since I've sadly ran into unexpected health complications that have led me to ultimately reevaluate my life, I decided to put this out publicly for everyone to use while I can.

Do let me know if you guys find any issues or have questions or suggestions. Thank you.

PowerPoster

... I'll explore Olaf's suggestions for theming the 3 icons on the Project Explorer panel in a future release
    I've now made a (nearly) "ready-to-use" demo out of it (see my reply in your Codebank-thread).

HTH

Olaf

Lively Member

Hello,

Your project is very interesting, but I have no chance to test it because my MD5 do not match

I tried to patch my files but :

DeltaPatcherLite.exe = Error Checksum

Your Files
    - VB6.exe (v6.0.97.82 - MD5: 5AC021164304F5C90C0820199D4C3E7E)
    - VBA6.DLL (v6.0.0.9782 - MD5: CAC38827BCD9F710EAE33F949F96EF96)
    - VB6IDE.dll (v6.0.92.82 - MD5: 278E2CB9140BEEB92C5397B4D8B86D3A)

My Files (French version)
    - VB6.exe (v6.0.97.82 - MD5: 36B57A1001E426B04F3BB0925934EB8E)
    - VBA6.DLL (v6.0.0.9782 - MD5: B50E6CA4297FD5F0369FBB3826D129AC)
    - VB6IDE.dll (v6.0.92.82 - MD5: 1AD7A6261BBF70312B991348364192FC)

Can you tell me how to make the 5 *.xdelta files for my MD5, a little tutorial would be ideal with the strings of bytes to search as well as the sources to add in these new files.

thank you in advance.

Regards

Lively Member

Sadly the patches only work for the English SP6 version. I don't have the other language binaries handy to make patches from. If you can provide the files I might be able to attempt for you.

If you are adamant on making the patches yourself, here are some instructions:

First you have to acquire the original English VB6 files. They're available for free from the VB6 SP6 pack downloadable from Microsoft. Extract the .cab files to retrieve the original VB6.EXE, VBA6.DLL and VB6IDE.DLL files. Patch those with the supplied xdelta files then open them in Resource Hacker and extract the resources. Then you can apply the extracted resources to your local files. That would transfer over most of the the changes.

The only thing you'd be missing then is the assembly patch for VB6.exe to load the new 24-bit images, otherwise it will load them in reduced 4-bit color. This step is a fair bit more complex however and requires a good knowlege of computer internals to perform. To perform this patch you must open VB6.EXE (post resource patching) into a disassembler like OllyDbg, IDA Pro or x64dbg and locate the calls to LoadImageW that load the bitmap resources 6000, 6700 and 6701, which all need to be patched. I recommend using API Monitor intercepting that specific API until you see it load the relevant resources. You can then obtain the correct offsets for the calls from API Monitor. After you have the offsets, you have to edit the VB6.exe executable with your disassembler of choice and replace the fuLoad parameter in those calls, to ensure it pushes LR_CREATEDIBSECTION onto the stack. Depending on your executable's binary code this may involve some very basic assembly control flow rerouting to fit.
    Last edited by LinkFX; Apr 28th, 2020 at 03:55 AM.

Lively Member

Thank you for giving all these details which will be very useful to me.

I will give news on the progress of my investigations, this may be useful to others.
    If I don't arrive, I will reinstall the English version of the 3 patched files.

Regards

Sadly the patches only work for the English SP6 version.
    Not always. In these forums there are a lot of people that use comctl6 manifests *embedded* in the VB6.exe (for no apparent reason besides fiddling w/ Resource Hacker) which will have trouble matching patch hashes as well.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by camomille View Post
    Thank you for giving all these details which will be very useful to me.

I will give news on the progress of my investigations, this may be useful to others.
    If I don't arrive, I will reinstall the English version of the 3 patched files.

Regards
    Incidentally, I tried patching the files supplied by extracting the .CAB from the VB6 SP6 distributable to see if there would be any issues. VBA6.DLL and VB6IDE.dll both matched checksums with my original files and patched correctly, however VB6.exe had a different checksum. I'm mystified as to why given that they all have the same file versions as my local versions and I'm running a fresh VB6 SP6 install. Regardless, I told DeltaPatcher to ignore the checksum and it patched without issues and everything appears to work correctly. Very strange still. If for some reason this introduces any problems (unlikely but in the event that it does), I may have make a new patch for the distributable version of VB6.exe

I also looked at the French VB6 SP6 from this page and two of the files didn't match MD5 with yours. I'm kind of confused why there seems to be a million versions of the VB6 binaries lying around everywhere.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Not always. In these forums there are a lot of people that use comctl6 manifests *embedded* in the VB6.exe (for no apparent reason besides fiddling w/ Resource Hacker) which will have trouble matching patch hashes as well.

cheers,
    </wqw>
    Well then they better have backed up the original unmodified VB6.exe if they want to successfully apply the patch (or at least the delete the manifest resource). If the executable isn't heavily modified, you can just have the patcher ignore the checksum and it should be alright.
    Last edited by LinkFX; Apr 28th, 2020 at 04:26 AM.

Addicted Member

best of all, this is something really excited project I've seen so far, maybe with VBForums user contribution, we can make the "REAL" VB7, is it legal actually ? or Microsoft have something to say about this ??

Lively Member

For information :

My French version is the "Enterprise" version

New installation standard version with SP6 in English on another XP computer and I recovered the 3 files :

VB6.exe: 6EBDCE45415F8951301699599F057195
    VBA6.dll: CAC38827BCD9F710EAE33F949F96EF96
    VB6IDE.dll: 278E2CB9140BEEB92C5397B4D8B86D3A

The 2 DLLs which have the same MD5 as your files and have been patched but VB6.exe against the patch refuses.

I continue my investigations

Lively Member

For information :

My French version is the "Enterprise" version

New installation standard version with SP6 in English on another XP computer and I recovered the 3 files :

VB6.exe: 6EBDCE45415F8951301699599F057195
    VBA6.dll: CAC38827BCD9F710EAE33F949F96EF96
    VB6IDE.dll: 278E2CB9140BEEB92C5397B4D8B86D3A

The 2 DLLs which have the same MD5 as your files and have been patched but VB6.exe against the patch refuses.

I continue my investigations
    Try disabling the checksum validation option in the gear icon of Delta Patcher and applying the patch to VB6.exe.

If it launches correctly and displays the project selection dialog in full color like in the attached image, and works without crashes it means the patch succeeded even if the checksum differs, as the patched locations were the same.

Last edited by LinkFX; Apr 28th, 2020 at 06:22 AM.

Lively Member

My English version (Professional) under XP with patched DLL's and EXE patch without control:
    Unable to launch error !!!

My French version (Business) under W7 64 DLL's and EXE patched without control:
    Works almost perfect but only with the EXE, the DLL's disturb the operation (crash).

So uninstall everything and return to normal !!!

I couldn't really do a test, but I noticed in debugging mode, no possibility of seeing my local variables (no right TAB and gray menu) !!!

Despite all congratulations for this feat which gives a facelift to this IDE.
    Good luck

Good job and congratulations for the initiative to open the code.

Is it possible to force VB6 to save project and folder components neatly?

Example: Form to Form folder; Class to Class folder; Module to Module; Resouce for Resource, etc.

Sadly the patches only work for the English SP6 version. I don't have the other language binaries handy to make patches from. If you can provide the files I might be able to attempt for you.
    Hello,
    Hello, I share the Visual Basic 6 Spanish Professional file
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aaup7u2c0i...anish.zip?dl=0

Lively Member

My English version (Professional) under XP with patched DLL's and EXE patch without control:
    Unable to launch error !!!

My French version (Business) under W7 64 DLL's and EXE patched without control:
    Works almost perfect but only with the EXE, the DLL's disturb the operation (crash).

So uninstall everything and return to normal !!!

I couldn't really do a test, but I noticed in debugging mode, no possibility of seeing my local variables (no right TAB and gray menu) !!!

Despite all congratulations for this feat which gives a facelift to this IDE.
    Good luck
    Use the files extracted from the English VB6 SP6 download I linked earlier. They patch perfectly (disable checksum for VB6.exe, the rest don't need it).
    Last edited by LinkFX; Apr 28th, 2020 at 05:48 PM.

The only thing you'd be missing then is the assembly patch for VB6.exe to load the new 24-bit images, otherwise it will load them in reduced 4-bit color. This step is a fair bit more complex however and requires a good knowlege of computer internals to perform. To perform this patch you must open VB6.EXE (post resource patching) into a disassembler like OllyDbg, IDA Pro or x64dbg and locate the calls to LoadImageW that load the bitmap resources 6000, 6700 and 6701, which all need to be patched. I recommend using API Monitor intercepting that specific API until you see it load the relevant resources. You can then obtain the correct offsets for the calls from API Monitor. After you have the offsets, you have to edit the VB6.exe executable with your disassembler of choice and replace the fuLoad parameter in those calls, to ensure it pushes LR_CREATEDIBSECTION onto the stack. Depending on your executable's binary code this may involve some very basic assembly control flow rerouting to fit.
    Hello,
    You can use the tool "Resource Hacker" for edit resource
    http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
    Can you use "Command Line Syntax"

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by pepegriyo2016 View Post
    Hello,
    You can use the tool "Resource Hacker" for edit resource
    http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
    Can you use "Command Line Syntax"
    What are you talking about? Have you even read the post you're quoting in its entirety?

Lively Member

Hello,
    Hello, I share the Visual Basic 6 Spanish Professional file
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/aaup7u2c0i...anish.zip?dl=0
    There's far too many languages and variants of VB6 to make patches for all the individual versions. It's a process that takes a fair amount of time, and this would be like playing a game of whack-a-mole.

So what I'm going to do instead is make on-demand patches for different languages of the binaries freely available through Microsoft.

Here's a link to the Spanish SP6: https://www.microsoft.com/es-es/down...s.aspx?id=9183

Here's a link to the French SP6: https://www.microsoft.com/fr-FR/down...s.aspx?id=9183

I'll have patches for these soon, and those of you running these languages can use the binaries linked. Just open the downloaded .exe in something like WinRAR or 7zip, the binaries are inside VS6sp61.cab in the VB98 folder. Then you can apply the patches to these binaries and replace your original files.
    Last edited by LinkFX; Apr 28th, 2020 at 05:55 PM.

What are you talking about? Have you even read the post you're quoting in its entirety?
    You can replace the OllyDBG by Resource Hacker for edit the resource. Try open the vb6.exe with Resource hacker.

Lively Member

You can replace the OllyDBG by Resource Hacker for edit the resource. Try open the vb6.exe with Resource hacker.
    I will just ignore you from now on. Learn to read.

Lively Member

Once this is solved I guess.

Didn't really get any help with it so far.
    I think the left icon maybe in vb6.exe RT_ICON #1252/#38,the right icon maybe in Mrt7chs.dll RT_ICON #109/#4 or #185/#18,hope it's something help for you.

Lively Member

If you are adamant on making the patches yourself, here are some instructions:

First you have to acquire the original English VB6 files. They're available for free from the VB6 SP6 pack downloadable from Microsoft. Extract the .cab files to retrieve the original VB6.EXE, VBA6.DLL and VB6IDE.DLL files. Patch those with the supplied xdelta files then open them in Resource Hacker and extract the resources. Then you can apply the extracted resources to your local files. That would transfer over most of the the changes.

I download this Sp6 and extract the VB6.EXE&VBA6.DLL&VB6IDE.DLL, but the MD5 didn't match with yours. It's only the VBA6.DLL can patched.

Lively Member

For the Chinese users
    https://www.microsoft.com/zh-cn/down...n.aspx?id=5721
    Could you patch for this.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by vb56390 View Post
    I think the left icon maybe in vb6.exe RT_ICON #1252/#38,the right icon maybe in Mrt7chs.dll RT_ICON #109/#4 or #185/#18,hope it's something help for you.
    Thanks, but all the icons in VB6.exe have been replaced, so if it were using those they would have been changed already. No matter, Olaf hooked me up with a good solution for this.

Quote Originally Posted by vb56390 View Post
    I download this Sp6 and extract the VB6.EXE&VBA6.DLL&VB6IDE.DLL, but the MD5 didn't match with yours. It's only the VBA6.DLL can patched.
    I'll look into it. However, do note that I will not be changing the dialogs for the other languages, since that would require manually redoing them (otherwise they'd end up with english text). So only icons and bitmaps will be updated, and you'll miss out on the updated dialogs.

I recommend everyone to simply use the English version of VB6, even if English is not your native language (it is not my native language either).

Hyperactive Member

Well then they better have backed up the original unmodified VB6.exe if they want to successfully apply the patch (or at least the delete the manifest resource). If the executable isn't heavily modified, you can just have the patcher ignore the checksum and it should be alright.
    i think maybe you can share your unpatched files for reference.
    maybe i can do the binary patch myself.
    because it seems hash of vb6sp6 english files download from msdn are all not equal to that hash of yours
    Last edited by loquat; Apr 29th, 2020 at 02:15 AM.

Lively Member

Hello,

I followed the advice of LinkFX and I patched the English version SP6 and everything works correctly, it's really a radical change.

It is advisable because if later, LinkFX must modify the * .xdelta, it would be a lot of work to maintain all the languages especially since we know all the options by heart.

By cons for the Chinese who are many to use VB6 it would be very useful.

Regards

Addicted Member

can someone make the video or step by step tutorial to change to ModernVB IDE ?

Lively Member

Hello,

I followed the advice of LinkFX and I patched the English version SP6 and everything works correctly, it's really a radical change.

It is advisable because if later, LinkFX must modify the * .xdelta, it would be a lot of work to maintain all the languages especially since we know all the options by heart.

By cons for the Chinese who are many to use VB6 it would be very useful.

Regards
    Could you share the patched files with us ?

Lively Member

Oblige to uninstall ModernVB.dll because reduces the width of the tabs of my browser "Chrome" and is no longer readable !!!

Lively Member

For jedifuk and vb56390 and loquat

You missed post 46

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ly-for-testing

https://github.com/VykosX/ModernVB/releases

Tab "Realese"

Footer "Assets"

Everything is explained in the folders

Regards
    Last edited by camomille; Apr 29th, 2020 at 04:25 AM.

Lively Member

Oblige to uninstall ModernVB.dll because reduces the width of the tabs of my browser "Chrome" and is no longer readable !!!
    I don't understand this... What do you mean?? ModernVB doesn't do anything to Chrome.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by loquat View Post
    i think maybe you can share your unpatched files for reference.
    maybe i can do the binary patch myself.
    because it seems hash of vb6sp6 english files download from msdn are all not equal to that hash of yours
    Here are my unpatched files. But you can also use the English SP6 binaries. The VB6.exe does not match checksum but it patches perfectly if you tell DeltaPatcher to ignore checksum. They are binary compatible, so I can only assume it's a trivial difference between the files. I'll make a patch that matches checksum with the English SP6 files along with the Spanish, French and Chinese ones soon.
    Last edited by LinkFX; Apr 29th, 2020 at 04:53 AM.

Lively Member

I do not know the relationship, but I had never seen that, since yesterday, the tabs tighten on the left, width 5 mm, only the right one is normal, despite uninstalling your dll, it still occurs !!

I'll keep you posted if I find a reason.

Lively Member

Yeaaah it's not related to ModernVB man... Try reinstalling Chrome I guess or better yet switch to Vivaldi which is Chrome but way better lol.

Lively Member

I said "Chrome" in fact it is "Chrome developer" which is more stable especially in translation.

But after previous restoration, reinstallation, always the same problem, can be an update !!!
    On the other hand I uninstall everything from your project because it is impossible to launch my main program which opens normaly in full screen with 4 tabs.
    The windows are moving but my program does not appear.

Maybe because I didn't install the themes?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast