Folks,
This may not be in the correct topic. Apologies if so.
I have an embedded controller based product that provides SNMPv2c alarm traps on alarm events.

I am trying to have these traps (and Gets and an SNMP discovery OID walk) actioned by an SNMP Manager app that only supports SNMPv1.

My basic understanding is that SNMPv2c is an enhanced SNMPv1, with 2 additional commands to the 5 in SNMPv1.
But the basic OIDs and commands of v1 are present in v2c, so I am trying to understand why the basic command set of the v1 SNMP Manager wont recognise these commands from the v2c product sending them?

I do not want or use the additional features that are in v2c, so supporting them isn't an issue.
The embedded controller SNMP module only supports v2c so its not as simple as just selecting v1 and re-compiling.

I have had a reasonable search on the web but havent found anything explaining the SNMP traps/set/get/walk 'content' differences between v1 and v2c, so I dont know if the actual SNMP packet format is different (and that being the problem), or whether its the MIB content/structure that's the problem and the v1 SNMP Manager misinterprets the v2c as a result, or ???

Any pointers or recommendations on where to look for info would be greatly appreciated.

And where does this tie into VB? Because once I know it can be made to work, I have a project to write a small tool to log and process the products traps (and Gets and Sets) between the Manager and the products, to action other activities, but this cannot happen until the existing v1 SNMP Manager is interacting with the v2c products it's monitoring........

I am hoping someone has some low-level experience in SNMP v1 and v2c implementations?

Many thanks..........