Thread: VB6 created progamm not running on win10 64 bit

Cool VB6 created progamm not running on win10 64 bit

I am fairly new here,
    I have an old program created with vb6 , I can use the program setup and install and run on win10 32 bit and everything installs and runs correctly.

Having trouble getting it installed on a 64 bit pc. When running the setup it hangs on "Installing Data Access Components" I tried to remove the Data Access components from the install program and run into some issues where it didn't install some 3rd party dll's.
    so I tried 2 option, install those dll manually or run task mgr and killed MS setup tools(32bit)
    And then the application continued to install (both seemed to give me the same result)
    Ran the exe as administrator
    Application started, opened the user login window.
    That is where the application goes to the registry to look for user account
    I have added all the registry setting to the registry HKEY_current_user\software\wow6432node folder

Application blew up with a run time error -2147220517,
    Any suggestions
    One other note, It did install on one 64bit pc fine, but then when I tried on the next 4 pcs it is not working. even though I went through the same install procedures. I need to set regional setting to 24 hour time, and setup the wow64 registry settings. So it sure seems possible, or I just got lucky,

PowerPoster

Re: VB6 created progamm not running on win10 64 bit

It might help if you said what the error message was. The number doesn't tell me much and I don't feel like putting in the effort to look it up.

Sorry I thought I replied, it must not have worked.
    I can start up my program and get the user login window. when I try to log in I get a runtime error, that just say automation error
    Name:  runtime error.png
Views: 226
Size:  5.6 KB

PowerPoster

That is a pretty generic error, generally means that one of the external ocx or dll files has an issue.
    First step would be to identify what the program is trying to do at the point where the error occurs and what automation it is trying to initiate.

As for the data access components thay should not be part of your install on any OS from XP on. Removing those should not cause any issues.

Thanks I will try to figure that out, I know it is checking the registry for user access,
    I have added all the registry setting to the registry HKEY_current_user\software\wow6432node folder

PowerPoster

Ideally you would run it in the ide so you can step through code where needed and see what is going on.
    If that is not possible then ...
    You might want to add some logging into different areas to pinpoint the source of the error.
    Or you can go with linenumbers, an error handler and ERL to report what line the error occurs on.

Will do. Thanks