Thread: Math Font

Computer Science BS Jacob Roman's Avatar

Math Font

What font is mathematical notation?

You see it all the time in textbooks, wikipedia, or anytime you see a formula or a proof. But the font they used to write it is never mentioned. And seems to be universally used.

Sinecure devotee

Re: Math Font

There are quite a few Math fonts.
    Generally, the ones I'm somewhat familiar with that are used with Linux and publishing layout are used with a LaTeX Editor.
    Microsoft office I believe uses "Cambria Math", and you should find that font on your Windows box I believe. I see it listed in both the VB6 IDE and Visual Studio 2010 IDE when choosing a font for a Textbox or RichTextbox.

How you get the layout right, I don't know, haven't actually used a Math font.
    p.s. I guess in Word 2010 and above there is an Equation Editor built in that uses the Cambria Math font to layout equations. Haven't played with it.
    p.p.s. It appears the default Math font for LaTeX is "Computer Modern Math Italic".
    Last edited by passel; Apr 1st, 2020 at 12:16 AM.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930

Computer Science BS Jacob Roman's Avatar

Re: Math Font

Cambria is close but not exactly it. The x variable used has more of a hook look to it in the real notation:

Cambria's Math x looks like this