PowerPoster

who buy amd 3990x for Program Development

cpu price:
    intel-3175x 20000¥28core 3.1g
    amd 3990x 30000¥ 64core2.9g
    (4000,Dollars,$)
    price of 1 ghz:161.64,311.06
    Intel is twice as expensive as AMD.
    This price is sold by China Jingdong website.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Apr 16th, 2020 at 04:55 PM.

Fanatic Member

Re: who buy amd 3990x for Program Development

This is not a programming question. I asked the moderators to move the thread to General PC forum.

PowerPoster

I think either is major overkill for a development machine unless you are working to develop high end games. For VB6 software pretty much anything available is more than enough for the task.

My personal choice is AMD but I would not even consider one the chips in the OP, definitely not at the price point they are currently at. My newest PC uses a Ryzen 1600 cpu, my main development PC uses a Phenom P2 1100 cpu which has plenty of power to work with all the tools I use and the whole system cost less than those chips.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I think either is major overkill for a development machine unless you are working to develop high end games. For VB6 software pretty much anything available is more than enough for the task.

My personal choice is AMD but I would not even consider one the chips in the OP, definitely not at the price point they are currently at. My newest PC uses a Ryzen 1600 cpu, my main development PC uses a Phenom P2 1100 cpu which has plenty of power to work with all the tools I use and the whole system cost less than those chips.
    You don't think there's anything wrong with your systems for two reasons: 1. You are evidently coding for vb6 based on your post, and 2. You must not have ever used anything else.
    My development rig at work is a 4th gen i-7 and i was just upgraded to that from an i-5. The compile times for our website are about 2/3 what they were, and when you are doing this 50x a day, that 30 seconds different each time eats your productivity. I would assume this machine was fast except that the machine i use at home for development is running a ryzen 2700 with a m2 drive for caching, and it is more than twice as fast compiling.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    intel-3175x 20000¥28core 3.1g
    amd 3990x 30000¥ 64core2.9g
    price of 1 ghz:161.64,311.06
    Intel is twice as expensive as AMD.
    This price is sold by China Jingdong website.
    bang for the buck, the 3950 ryzen is the best bang for the buck you can get for software development. The more cores you have, the better off you are, and the 3950 has 16 actual cores (32 threads). IntelliJ-based compilers use as many threads as you can give them, and in my case, you're running a web server to test locally on, an iis server, and visual studio, that stuff needs horsepower.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell View Post
    You don't think there's anything wrong with your systems for two reasons: 1. You are evidently coding for vb6 based on your post, and 2. You must not have ever used anything else.
    Incorrect. Yes I do use VB6 among others. Currently I have around 6 development languages installed on the main dev pc and use which ever best suits the task at hand. And no there is nothing wrong with the system. It handles every tool I use without issue. It does not however have a high end video card so not a good choice for high end gaming or high end game development.

I also use the Ryzen and have a very fast M2x4 drive in it as well as a large SSD of course it is a faster pc but for most tools there is little difference.

btw this thread was originally in the VB6 forum when I replied to it which hints that the OP may be using VB6 and if so there will be no noticeable improvement on a high end system, multiple cores don't do much for a single threaded tool.

PowerPoster

vb6 createthread is very easy。
    but more developers use vc,c#,py。
    use multithreaded program.You can use any programming language.
    Even many scripting tools and key operated tools have been used very maturely.
    But they can't use more CPU resources.Unless you use image processing or a server backend.

vb6 createthread is very easy。
    but more developers use vc,c#,py。
    use multithreaded program.You can use any programming language.
    Even many scripting tools and key operated tools have been used very maturely.
    But they can't use more CPU resources.Unless you use image processing or a server backend.
    it may be "easy" but it's not stable. vb6 container is single-threaded. as a side note, i misread the title. I thought it was a 3950x. A 3990 x is a threadripper and that's a server processor.
    Last edited by Lord Orwell; Apr 13th, 2020 at 10:59 AM.

PowerPoster

Vb6 with many years of multi-threading, found or very stable, as long as not to operate the UI control.

PowerPoster

Just like buying a car, some people buy 300000, others buy one or two million.In fact, to buy a 150 thousand yuan that is quite good (20 thousand dollars).
    So I think it's cool to spend $50,000 on a CPU for personal development or enterprise development.。
    I don't know how the experience is, but it's faster to develop.
    It's like someone buying a sports car, a racing car, or a super luxurious game console.

Just like buying a car, some people buy 300000, others buy one or two million.In fact, to buy a 150 thousand yuan that is quite good (20 thousand dollars).
    So I think it's cool to spend $50,000 on a CPU for personal development or enterprise development.。
    I don't know how the experience is, but it's faster to develop.
    It's like someone buying a sports car, a racing car, or a super luxurious game console.
    is that 50,000 yuan? There are other factors to consider as well. Since that's a server processor, it requires a server motherboard.

anyway if you are actually developing in vb6, how multi-threaded the application you create is does not matter. I don't think the development environment is multi-threaded. It wouldn't affect your compile times and they are only one or two seconds anyway. I would throw as many cores at i could at visual basic 2017 or 2019, but not vb6.