Page 70 of 137 FirstFirst ... 20606768697071727380120 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,800 of 5445

Thread: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

Well the CDC has moved the goalposts again. I guess whatever it takes to make the west and south feel good about their climbing case rates, eh? But it also obscures the slight climb experienced elsewhere as well.

They also seem to be saying "masks on" now right after saying "masks off." Derr!

Before Delta inevitably starts spreading fast here too, I decided it was worth making a monthly grocery run. I need a change from dried and frozen stuff anyway, as well as the few things I buy canned. Bean, radish, and alfalfa sprouts are tasty but I need some fresh broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, plums, citrus, and so on.

Wow. Parts of the produce section were bare shelves. I found more or less what I was after but the whole section was condensed with fewer choices. Beef and chicken options were also much thinner.

I had also taken a look at the Taco Bell web site, thinking, hey, maybe on the way home grab a burrito. Wonder what they are selling now? It's pretty rare for me to go there, but they are open late...

Selected the local store: big banner claiming supply problems. I wasn't even sure the local store is open at all.

I just heard a good quote: "The C in CDC doesn't stand for Communication."

Yeah, ain't that the truth. Having worked with scientists my whole life, I certainly recognize what they are doing. What we are seeing is their internal discussions being somewhat conducted in public. There will be different groups internally having several different discussions within groups and between groups. The spokespeople are then being given some kind of summary out of those internal discussions, and are passing them on. Of course, that's not a great way to provide guidance.

I doubt that Idaho will do anything at all. This wave will wash through us and do as it will, while we studiously attempt to deny that it is happening. There is pretty much no chance that the state will take any action beyond what it is doing. Any attempt at mandates of any sort will be vigorously opposed.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post

Yeah, ain't that the truth. Having worked with scientists my whole life, I certainly recognize what they are doing. What we are seeing is their internal discussions being somewhat conducted in public. There will be different groups internally having several different discussions within groups and between groups. The spokespeople are then being given some kind of summary out of those internal discussions, and are passing them on. Of course, that's not a great way to provide guidance.

I doubt that Idaho will do anything at all. This wave will wash through us and do as it will, while we studiously attempt to deny that it is happening. There is pretty much no chance that the state will take any action beyond what it is doing. Any attempt at mandates of any sort will be vigorously opposed.
    Faux news says the real problem is all the illegal aliens crossing the border and spreading covid all over the states. If Biden would just put back Trump's border rules everything would be fine.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

I'm not sure Biden and his cronies have a clue, really. Or maybe their agenda just isn't obvious.

They seem to be fast-tracking deportations on the one hand, loading others onto buses to infect the rest of the country, and re-importing others they already sent home earlier (particularly former dogs of the military). Biden Loves Mayhem.

PowerPoster

Or perhaps it means just that.

It seems to be used as a propaganda outlet. Some criticize it for delaying the reporting of several metrics and then "curating" them before release.

I'm beginning to wonder if their orders go something like "We are running out of gas. We've dumped bales of cash and we still see alarming trends in the real economy. People are not going back to work and soon the rent, student loan, and many other amnesties will end but nobody is accepting personal responsibility. Most of that stimmicash is getting blown on cosmetics, more colors of sneakers, video games, big-screen TVs, plastic dolls, and shelves to sit them on. Flutter that pedal and hypermile this bus."

We WANT people to blow that stimmicash on cosmetics, more colors of sneakers, and so on. Our economy is largely driven by consumer consumption. Economists are spending much more time fretting about the fact that US citizens are NOT spending that cash than what they are spending it on. The savings rate in the US is unusually high, at the moment. The Economist has at least one article per week that mentions that figure, usually in the context of some economists trying to get people to spend more...or what happens if they do (no two economists can ever agree on anything, so if one says up, the next is sure to say down).

Still, I get your point, I just don't think that's quite it. If you want a bunch of scientists to dither...just let them speak. That's all I'm hearing from the CDC. If you're going to lead, then you have to make a decision. It doesn't have to be right, but it has to be decisive. All we are getting is dithering.

PowerPoster

Just for grins I checked the Taco Bell web site again.

The same ALARM is there about supply problems limiting choices, but now there is another banner: "Dine-in has resumed!"

We're doing reasonably well at 7-day new cases per 100K at 26.3, but that's up from 2 weeks ago. But I'm not sure coloring us mint green is warranted, and I won't be doing any dining in.

King of sapila

We don't have any missing products but the prices have gone up 25%.
    Logical with all the lockdowns.
    The problem is that for the most part out traitors, born out of a untuned saxophone hole, politicians made the farmers import foreign products and cut down their own production, so we ended up with lemons from turkey and potatoes from Egypt. So we are on 30% country self retain of products and the rest is from abroad.

On another note, 42 degrees today, I came back from Athens, in Athens I could not breath, here is little better but unless I'm on the seaside I'm boiling and that will go on for at least 6 days...
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

Still, I get your point, I just don't think that's quite it. If you want a bunch of scientists to dither...just let them speak. That's all I'm hearing from the CDC. If you're going to lead, then you have to make a decision. It doesn't have to be right, but it has to be decisive. All we are getting is dithering.
    Yeah, I use to think we had all these great minds at the CDC and WHO that would step right up, lead us and give us solid guidance if an emergency like this ever happened. I don't think that anymore. They seem to only tell us what we already know. I get the sense that "cover your ass" is more important than leading us through. But they probably couldn't lead even if they wanted to, the politicians would ignore them if they felt it would harm their chances for re-election. I'm getting awfully cynical.

PowerPoster

Any organization can have these problems.

Somebody pays the bills, and that gives them a vote. Factions can have different agendas or even just follow a graven idol, er, school of thought. These factions have shifting levels of power and voice in the larger organization. VB vs. .Net is a probably casual disagreement by comparison.

The rest of us are along for the ride, trapped in the back seat of a car with 7 drivers and 7 steering wheels and 7 brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    born out of a untuned saxophone hole,
    HA! That's a good one.

On another note, 42 degrees today, I came back from Athens, in Athens I could not breath, here is little better but unless I'm on the seaside I'm boiling and that will go on for at least 6 days...
    We have a forecast of RAIN!! The forecast for this weekend is so much rain that there are flash flood warnings in effect for the whole area (except the valley, which is too flat for flash floods) already posted. In fact, the forecast is not just saying rain, but Heavy Rain!

Now, that might not mean much to a whole lot of people on here, but Idaho can often go from June into September without seeing a cloud (other than a cloud of smoke). A heavy rain at the beginning of August is pretty unusual. It might also amount to very little, but then again, it just might be real.

We've had quite a bit of rain the last couple of weeks... it's finally stopped.... and now... we're hitting triple digit heat index... 120 today and tomorrow, 100 on Sunday, with it finally dropping into the 80's on Monday. Glad we got the AC replaced last year. Plan to keep it at a nice comfortable 74-76 in the house.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

in Athens I could not breath
    That'll be the Covid

I use to think we had all these great minds at the CDC and WHO that would step right up, lead us and give us solid guidance if an emergency like this ever happened.
    Their role is not to lead, it's to advise. Leadership is supposed to come from your president and, sadly, the current one has only had six months to undo the miss-information the previous one has spent a year and a half spouting (and continues to spout).

The reason the advice from the CDC has changed is that you are in the middle of a yet another wave, this one caused by the Delta variant. The main reason that wave is filling your hospitals up again while us Brits pretty much shrugged it off is because of the disproportionate number of anti-vaxxers you've got over there. And the reason you've got so many anti-vaxxers is that Trump and the GOP he's left behind him are a bunch of tools who are more concerned with fund raising than with saving human lives.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

I'm curious, anyone having lot of heat in their providence (not you Funky, you got you usual rain hell last week as I saw), are the covid cases of Delta rising?
    We are on vacation so the big cities are getting abandoned and people tend to hit the islands but the city covid cases are rising, with 43 degrees!
    What I can think of is that we are having one of the greatest orthodox celebration of virgin Mary at 15 of August (Mary is probably the most common name in Greece, My Mother, Aunt, ex gf and 2 cousins are named Mary) they are proly trying to impose a lockdown on the churches again (being the antichrist advocates they are) so we can't celebrate.

In other news, I'm pretty coldy cold cold when I get to the sea, I usually shiver for 1-3 minutes until I do the dive, today I went in, in 15 seconds!
    The sea was boiling but that is exactly how I like it, usually, even with 40 degrees the sea is killer cold here but today it was a sauna.

Also the dictator is pushing the vax in the middle of summer but everyone is on vacation so they kinda stopped the propaganda for a few days.
    Ah, if you remember about Mykonos island (Mykonooos) that they locked down? Yes apparently covid got afraid in 5 days and they lifted the lockdown...Idiots.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    We've had quite a bit of rain the last couple of weeks... it's finally stopped.... and now... we're hitting triple digit heat index... 120 today and tomorrow, 100 on Sunday, with it finally dropping into the 80's on Monday. Glad we got the AC replaced last year. Plan to keep it at a nice comfortable 74-76 in the house.

-tg

Sorry. 120 is close to 50 Celsius. IS that correct? You have 50 degrees!!!!? How c-um (i got *** writing it, is the spelling wrong-dirty?) your are still alive? ....Are you a... Bot?!

Not temperature, heat index, which takes into account your bodies ability to sweat. Not sure I buy it. Wet bulb temperature may be better, but not well understood.

What were you curious about with COVID? Heat? Brazil has one of the highest death rates in the world, and India is up there, too, neither of which is a notably cold country. COVID doesn't appear to care about heat.

In Idaho, the virus is going to do what it will. Our vaccination rate is pretty pathetic, and there is pretty much no chance that anybody is going to take any precautions. We are 100% back to normal, aside from a few signs that have yet to be taken down and a bit of plexiglass that is likely to stay up (some of it is quite stylish, so there's no good reason to remove it). Masks are more common than they were in 2019, but it's down around 1%, or so. I don't see that changing, either. Our state leadership, with the exception of the governor, is militantly opposed to even recognizing COVID...or science, education, and gravity, while we're at it.

There is no will to take any action, so, we're going for herd immunity the old fashioned way.

How c-um (i got *** writing it, is the spelling wrong-dirty?)
    That is the dirty spelling (used for the liquid that shows a man has "finished" being excited)... you were thinking of: come

PowerPoster

We have a State "risk map" for COVID by county that ranks the risk from "Low" and then increasing from A to E.

Most places were A until recently, but now we're seeing more and more B level risk. This pattern has a clear geography because the A and B counties are well clustered.

But comparing this to the county-level rates of vaccination map doesn't show much correlation. Some of the least-vaxxed county clusters also fall into the large A-risk cluster, and some of the most-vaxxed fall into a B-risk cluster. Vaccine delinquency is a problem, but there must be other large factors too.

Even though we have lost our fortunate A status state-wide we still enjoy low rates of new cases compared to everyone else. I have no idea how we got so lucky, but it clearly isn't lasting as new infections slowly ramp up again. We may have encountered a bubble in the influx of the diseased bee population who carry the crud around.

Sorry. 120 is close to 50 Celsius. IS that correct? You have 50 degrees!!!!? How c-um (i got *** writing it, is the spelling wrong-dirty?) your are still alive? ....Are you a... Bot?!
    Not temperature, heat index, which takes into account your bodies ability to sweat. Not sure I buy it. Wet bulb temperature may be better, but not well understood.
    Actual temp was 99ish... at least... not sure what the official temp was... will have to watch the news later to find out. Then with the humidity, the heat index or "Feels like" temp iruns 110-120... honestly at that point, 10 degrees doesn't matter that much. The joys of living on the coast, where several rivers converge, and almost no breeze. I think what it is, is that heat bubble that cooked the west earlier has finally found its way over here, and is now broiling the south east.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

The new crown virus is actually a relatively well-controlled virus. China quarantined as soon as it was discovered. The total number of infections was only 100,000, while the number of infections in the United States and India reached about 40 million, which is 400 to 1,000 times more serious than China. If there is a more serious plague in the future, perhaps some countries will have more than half of the death toll. There are many TV shows and movies about zombies in the United States. Unfortunately, when they really happen, no one pays attention to them. Perhaps only when the death toll exceeds 10%, the presidents and leaders of various countries will really face it and try their best to prevent and solve them. Like the TV series "The First Season of the Doomsday Lonely Ship," the United States and Russia are trying to find out who invented the vaccine first, hoping to make a fortune. Perhaps the final solution is to make vaccine formulas and materials public, free of charge, and just like masks, hundreds of millions of them can be generated in two or three months.

PowerPoster

What were you curious about with COVID? Heat? Brazil has one of the highest death rates in the world, and India is up there, too, neither of which is a notably cold country. COVID doesn't appear to care about heat.

In Idaho, the virus is going to do what it will. Our vaccination rate is pretty pathetic, and there is pretty much no chance that anybody is going to take any precautions. We are 100% back to normal, aside from a few signs that have yet to be taken down and a bit of plexiglass that is likely to stay up (some of it is quite stylish, so there's no good reason to remove it). Masks are more common than they were in 2019, but it's down around 1%, or so. I don't see that changing, either. Our state leadership, with the exception of the governor, is militantly opposed to even recognizing COVID...or science, education, and gravity, while we're at it.

There is no will to take any action, so, we're going for herd immunity the old fashioned way.
    Just like the Second World War, Germany illegally killed people of all countries and robbed wealth and energy assets. Other countries don't care, those who are capable will not intervene, and those who are unable to wait for death. To put it bluntly, it's like being shot. No matter what, until he bleeds and drains, maybe 10 and 5 will survive. Herd immunity, it is better to say that if you are sick, you don't need treatment. Few people will die and get old. Those who survived can eat less food.

PowerPoster

Fed Brad: American companies have learned how to deal with the epidemic
    July 30th 5:59 pm
    US Department of Disease Control: Vaccines can't stop the Delta variant virus
    July 30th 5:35 pm
    Many wild deer herds in the U.S. are infected with the new coronavirus

Perhaps it is like a ransomware virus on a computer. There are 10-30% of computer vulnerabilities, and it takes only a few minutes to a few days to be kidnapped and ransomed. Genetic food, global commodities, and resource transportation will eventually break out of a bigger plague, which may kill half or more people. It’s like the Big Bang, the weather gets 10 degrees hotter, or decreases by 20-50 degrees.

PowerPoster

China learned to control the spread of the virus and treat it a year and a half ago. The United States only now says that our company has learned how to prevent the virus. It is too late to do this when the damage has expanded thousands of times.
    Just like World War II, after Japan and Germany killed hundreds of millions of people around the world, the United States stepped in and took advantage as a victor.

King of sapila

Oh, yes how the heat feels like, or "heat index" as you say. Yes that is 50+ .
    I've heard that the heat will end at August 9.
    I'm not having a problem at night and all day till I get to the seaside. I mean it's hot but I know that in a few minutes I will get to the sea and cool off.
    At night if it is windy we often get a cool breeze so it's fine but if it's not then there is an issue.

PowerPoster

At the end another threat to the undead, er, unvaxxed:

King of sapila

Is that the one that claimed we should vax in the summer?
    I haven't really paying attention after the CDC-PRC scam but go ahead. I have an aunt that is virusphobic keeps running around with a mask everywhere, that was the spirit a couple of months ago here but eventually almost everyone calmed down, thankfully.

PowerPoster

His point is that scammers have found antivaxxers to be a reliable pool of gullible victims.

PowerPoster

He also mentions the free health care provided by the U.S. government for people who get COVID. That ends very soon.

Health insurance companies are already suggesting "Get COVID? Not vaccinated? You are not covered, the bills are yours!"

King of sapila

I hope people would understand that there are no anti vaxxers.

So...you don't believe in the virus, you don't believe in the vaccines, and now you don't believe in anti-vaxxers? Do you believe in yourself?

King of sapila

Most people believe in the vaccines just not in the wheel of fortune ones and they believe in the virus (with differantions). I though I didn't have to spell this one out.
    Also I believe that more people are dying from the heat wave right now than covid but I don't see anything in the government media. No money in there.

Do you really believe that the protests are going on because of the vaccine? Which country do you live in?....Oh...

(I should explain as some people may take it the wrong way again. The country reference is done only because there are nothing serious going on there in regards of the world protests. It has nothing to do with individuals blah blah blah)
    Last edited by sapator; Jul 31st, 2021 at 05:14 PM.

Most people believe in the vaccines just not in the wheel of fortune ones and they believe in the virus (with differantions). I though I didn't have to spell this one out.
    Also I believe that more people are dying from the heat wave right now than covid but I don't see anything in the government media. No money in there.

Do you really believe that the protests are going on because of the vaccine? Which country do you live in?....Oh...
    So justify "Wheel of fortune ones" in this context, the Covid vaccines have gone through the same tests as any other vaccine would, they have been approved in the same way - it has just happened quicker because they haven't had to fight for funding. Your constant use of unsubstantiated claims and flippant, but obviously anti-vaxxer biased, use of words such as "wheel of fortune" speaks a lot clearer than most of your posts.

Also

I imagine there are many, many, anti-vaxers out there who would disagree. There are entire communities and movements of anti-vaxers out there. I honestly no longer know if you are posting genuine thoughts or just trolling.

King of sapila

Those that are protesting now are not anti vaxxers. You are putting everyone in a bag, it's not my problem.
    The complete vax circle if memory servers will end in 2023 till then it's served as Conditional by the world health organization. I think you are the one that is trolling as we have talked about this many times and you are asking the same thing again and again....Again, i don't have to justify as there isn't something to justify.

This is good though because you obviously don't have a clue why the protests are done so that will give you a chance to look it up and maybe re think on what you are writing...Or not, that is OK also, we don't reject opinions here at least as far as can tell from all the years I'm a member.

Those that are protesting now are not anti vaxxers.
    They are over here. Hard core, too.
    You are putting everyone in a bag, it's not my problem.
    You are putting everybody not in the bag when you say there are no anti-vaxxers. We could meet halfway and say that there are people half in the bag.
    The complete vax circle if memory servers will end in 2023 till then it's served as Conditional by the world health organization.
    This is good though because you obviously don't have a clue why the protests are done
    I'd say that I don't know what protests over there are about, unless they are reported on. However, you don't know what the protests over here are about, either. It sounds like they aren't over the same thing.

There's several types of anti-vaxers...

There's the OG Anti-Vax ... these are the ones that started a few years ago spouting off that vaccines cause autism, etc.... vax is bad... all vaccines are bad to them.
    Then there's the anit-this-vax ... they're not against vaccines in general... just for what ever reason, not "this one"... and the reasons range from it's alleged experimental state (which isn't true), to magnetism (not true), to nano bots (not true), to 5G (not true, but.... no, it's not true).
    Then there's the notgunna do the vax cuz you can't tell me what to do (as they get in their car, buckle up and drive 55 on the hoghway, stopping at every red light, stop sign... but dammed if you're going to tell them what to do)

-tg

PowerPoster

The United States has studied whether to wear a mask for a year, but the president can't decide. Many countries still think that vaccines are viruses, and some may think that vaccines are useless.
    There are also some illegal hospital companies selling immature vaccines at high prices to defraud money.
    I don’t know how many countries where vaccines are free. The state provides subsidies.
    In China, almost no one has been infected with this virus, so many people feel that there is no need to get the vaccine, although it is free.

PowerPoster

The vaccination in China is not painful at all, I thought they didn't inject it into me. There were no adverse reactions. I was just reminded not to leave the hospital within half an hour, not to drink alcohol for a few days, and not to take a bath.

Three years ago, I just went to a small shopping mall one day. I felt nightmares in the middle of the night. I was about to die. Then I had a high fever, and I was weak. I couldn’t walk. I went to the community clinic for an injection and took some medicine. But after a while Moon slowly regained strength.
    At that time, it felt like I was dying. I felt it was like a new crown virus. Really, sometimes it can fall in a few hours, and the human body cannot stop the virus at all. It's like being poisoned, you are bleeding, you have a fever, and your sepsis will kill you.
    In the war years, penicillin was as expensive as gold, but the effect was obvious, and it could cure you in a few days.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Aug 1st, 2021 at 12:30 AM.

King of sapila

Without accusing anyone here as I respect most of you and given the answers you are giving, I tend to believe that we are actually living in completely different worlds.
    I think that's why people of closer regions tend to, if not agree, be more close to my views.
    Obviously I don't have a clue what the protests on US are about because they are for different purposes than Europe and Australia.
    The protest are NOT for the vaccine, that was just blended with the whole climate. The protests are mostly for freedom, the right to do with your body what you want and not imposing green certificates, not putting vaxbies and non vaxbies to the discrimination grinder and of course against the government. Many of the people have already done the vaccine, many doctors that participate have done the vaccine and to speak for Greece in particular, we don't get along with freedom denial as we already suffered dictatorships and 400 years of slavery under the Turks.
    Saying to our face that we should be cattled as some people did here, wouldn't have ended well in real life,not talking about me, personally I think I can understand the chasm, or not, but hopefully.

Edit: I just remembered I wanted to post this also. One our our government idiots, can't recall the office he has, I think the internal state minister, that was barking about the vaccines giving you immunity to covid(!) got the flue last week. Our traitors changed the tune now and say that it CAN infect you (wow,really!) but you will pass it light.
    Yes all this time they where saying that you only have 0,1% change to catch covid if you where a vaxbie. Idiots.
    Last edited by sapator; Aug 1st, 2021 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    The United States has studied whether to wear a mask for a year, but the president can't decide.
    That's not true. Trump refused to wear masks, while Biden has always been completely in favor. They have virtually no authority over whether the general population wears masks, though. People can follow their example, or not. They can't mandate masks in most places.

Without accusing anyone here as I respect most of you and given the answers you are giving, I tend to believe that we are actually living in completely different worlds.
    I think that's why people of closer regions tend to, if not agree, be more close to my views.
    Obviously I don't have a clue what the protests on US are about because they are for different purposes than Europe and Australia.
    The protest are NOT for the vaccine, that was just blended with the whole climate. The protests are mostly for freedom, the right to do with your body what you want and not imposing green certificates, not putting vaxbies and non vaxbies to the discrimination grinder and of course against the government. Many of the people have already done the vaccine, many doctors that participate have done the vaccine and to speak for Greece in particular, we don't get along with freedom denial as we already suffered dictatorships and 400 years of slavery under the Turks.
    Saying to our face that we should be cattled as some people did here, wouldn't have ended well in real life,not talking about me, personally I think I can understand the chasm, or not, but hopefully.
    Yeah, you've convinced me of that, too. I rather feel that EU protests are more rational. They're certainly more rational than the anti-vax protests in Idaho....but most anything is more rational than the anti-vax protests in Idaho. Still, even here, the protests aren't REALLY about the vaccine, or vaccines in general. Sure, there are some folks who are opposed to vaccines in general out here, but even there, if you talk to them for any length of time, it doesn't seem to be the vaccine that is really the issue.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what it is. As a person who goes wandering in the woods for weeks or months at a time, I encounter a lot of people who say something along the lines of, "isn't that dangerous?" Statistically, I'm in greater danger driving to the mountain than I am climbing it. We don't evaluate risk very well. TG touched on that with the bit about people getting in their cars and fastening their seat belts. I also touched on that when I mentioned that this state is fine with mandating the use of seat belts, but is opposed to even private employers mandating the vaccine...and for that matter, they are opposed to mandating helmets for motorcycle riders.

We just aren't consistent in our quest for freedom. Some are protected with irrational ferocity by the same people who casually give up others.

Sometimes, I just despair as to whether or not we are smart enough to live. For thousands of years, it just didn't matter. In the last century, and increasingly in the last few decades, our technology is getting to the point where we can do things that we have no capacity to reason with. We're out over the tips of our skis and still accelerating.

Page 70 of 137 FirstFirst ... 20606768697071727380120 ... LastLast